www.cnn.com

FBI issues advisory on April 19 violence

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The FBI's counterterrorism office says it knows of "no
specific, credible threat" of violence connected to Thursday's anniversary of
the Branch Davidian fire at Waco, Texas, and the bombing of the Murrah
Federal Building in Oklahoma City.
Nonetheless, the bureau has issued an advisory for law enforcement agencies
across the country to be aware that April 19 marks not only those events, but
also the anniversary of the 1775 battles between minutemen and British troops
at Lexington and Concord, "which is meaningful to many of the self-styled
'patriots' in the current militia movement."
FBI officials emphasize the message, which was sent last Friday to state and
local officials over the National Law Enforcement Telecommunications Systems,
is a routine advisory similar to those sent to officials coast to coast as a
precaution before anniversaries, trials, executions, or other events that
could potentially provoke a violent response.
Counterterrorism officials openly worried about a domestic terrorism incident
on April 19, 1996 -- one year after the Oklahoma City blast and three years
after Waco. But each of the past five years the anniversary has come and gone
without incident.

"The anxiety level has waned each year," acknowledged one FBI agent who asked
not to be identified.
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms did not send out any special
notice to its field offices regarding precautions for the anniversary, but
did note it in a calendar of events distributed to its offices around the
country.
The ATF is particularly sensitive to the anniversary because four of its
agents were killed in the deadly Waco shootout that started the siege that
ended with the Branch Davidian fire on April 19, 1993.
"It remains a significant date in our history," said ATF chief spokesman
Brian Burns. "But it wouldn't be prudent to talk about things like the
security of our facilities. We wouldn't want anyone to think we're more
concerned or less concerned on that date than any other."