-Caveat Lector-

According to the National Geographic Society, there are over 5000 indigenous
cultures existing on Earth. Some have been touched (contaminated) by
civilization and some have not.

As an example we will use the Kogi Tribe of the high Andes Mountains of
South America.

The Kogi have been retreating from and observing the development of
"civilization" since the arrival of the conquistadors in the 16th century.
Not that they know what century it is - they have no need for a number
system that goes higher than the number of their toes and fingers.

Because they do not engage in commerce with any neighboring tribes, the only
outside contact they have had was with a British film crew they invited to
make a record of their story 20 years ago.

The Kogi call themselves the "elder brother" and are concerned that the
"younger brother" is destroying the earth with pollution and destruction of
the natural world. The message they sent to the outside world was "you are
going to destroy the world if you do not stop."

They are NOT concerned about an electronic computer spying technology named
Echelon. Any more than they concern themselves with whether the earth is
round or flat or whether the sun is a star and does not move around the
earth.

Echelon has no capability to invade their home village and eavesdrop on
their daily conversations and activities. Their minds are not controlled by
artificial means of information transmission that have little to do with the
real world. False images do not fool them any more than my cat thinks there
are people inside my television set. They know by instinct that the real
world is all around, not in a narrow field of vision contained by a field of
reflected electrons.

And guess what - they are homo sapiens, same as me or you. They were here
before us and they expect to be here after we are long gone.

And Echelon will have had nothing to do with their survival or our demise.