-Caveat Lector-

National Post
April 25, 2001
http://www.nationalpost.com/

Good news about your bad memory
Try this simple test and it'll all be explained

Norman Doidge
National Post

On May 16, John Doe #1 -- as Timothy McVeigh, the most notorious
homegrown American terrorist was officially called before his capture --
is scheduled to be executed. But what about John Doe #2? He is all but
forgotten.

You may remember --vaguely -- that during the aftermath of the
Oklahoma City bombing, two composite pictures of likely suspects were
posted. An FBI composite resembling the tall, fair-haired McVeigh was
called John Doe #1. John Doe #2 was short, square-faced, dark-haired,
with a tattoo beneath his left sleeve. The story of John Doe #2 is only
one of the many fascinating tales in Daniel Schacter's just-released The
Seven Sins of Memory. Schacter is chairman of the psychology
department of Harvard University, but got his training and was on
faculty at the University of Toronto in the '70s and '80s.

It turned out there never was a John Doe #2. So how did he come
about? The FBI tracked a van used in the bombing to Elliott's truck
rental in Junction City, Kan. There, mechanic Tom Kessinger recalled
that two men had rented the van. One fit the description of McVeigh, and
the other, square-faced mug became John Doe #2. The FBI tracked down
McVeigh, but never found John Doe #2.

What actually happened was that a man fitting the description Kessinger
gave of John Doe # 2 came into the shop a day after McVeigh rented his
van. On that day, U.S. Army Sergeant Michael Hertig --who was tall and
fair like McVeigh -- came to rent a van with his friend, Private Todd
Bunting -- who was short, square-faced, dark-haired. Kessinger
watched. Since Kessinger had correctly identified McVeigh, the FBI
presumed at first he was right about John Doe #2. In essence,
Kessinger's mind had associated the short, dark-haired man with a tall,
fair-haired fellow.

This kind of misattribution -- in which we confuse the source of a
memory -- is not uncommon because our memory works by association. The
implications are staggering for our legal system. Recent analyses of 40
cases in which DNA evidence established the innocence of wrongfully
imprisoned people showed that 90% of those convictions had been
based on mistaken eyewitness identification.

Using a technique called the Desse/Roedinger-McDermott phenomenon,
Schacter has experimentally created situations in which we think we
have experienced things that haven't happened.

(If you want to try it, don't read the next paragraph, but instead ask
someone sitting next to you to read the following two lists of words at
the rate of about one word per second. You try to remember them.
Immediately after, your friend will ask you if you heard just some of
the words.)

The words in list one are thread, pin, eye, sewing, sharp, point, prick,
thimble, haystack, thorn, hurt, injection, syringe, cloth, knotting. The
words in list two are bed, rest, awake, tired, dream, wake, snooze,
blanket, doze, slumber, snore, nap, peace, yeast, drowsy. Now, for some
skill-testing questions. After each of the following words, vote yes if
you are sure it was on the list, no if it wasn't or not sure: Sewing,
door, needle, sleep, candy, awake.

When these tests are conducted in large groups, most people remember
that sewing and awake were on the lists and that door and candy were
not. But what is most interesting is that people frequently claim with
certainty that they heard needle and sleep.

Clearly, many of the words on the first list activate associations to
the abstract concept of sharpness and along with that an association to
the word needle. The same for list two, only the associative network
activated is to the concept of sleep.

In misattribution, we mix up the source of a memory (as when we know
a joke but forget who told it to us, then tell it back to that person).
In the above experiment, the source is likely a mental association that
was triggered by the list. Arguably, this is the kind of mistake
Kessinger made in identifying John Doe #2 as the the accomplice of a
tall, fair-haired man.

Schacter shows how many of the "sins of memory" are arguably not
simply defects (though these can occur) but actually make memory more
efficient. So, while the list-of-words experiment shows a "mistake" is
generated, it is a mistake that involves us getting the gist of the
list.

That, Schacter argues, is adaptive, from an evolutionary standpoint. We
don't want our minds cluttered with details. Russian psychologist
Alexandr Luria wrote a book on a savant named Shereshevsky who
remembered virtually everything but could never function in life because
that required the ability to abstract and separate the important from
the trivial. Sometimes less is more.

At times, remembering certain things makes it harder to remember
others. This is seen in memory blocking. Imagine what life would be like
if every time you had to remember a detail about something -- say, New
York -- every related association to it poured suddenly into your
consciousness. You'd be overwhelmed. Blocking prevents that chaos.
Schacter describes experiments in which blocking is produced
experimentally. In one, subjects were asked to memorize the word pairs
red/blood and food/radish. Each time they were given red as a cue, the
likelihood they would recall the word blood increased. But the more the
subjects practised strengthening the tie between red and blood, the
harder it became for them to remember the tie between food and radish.
(Note to myself: Be careful what you choose to remember.)

The world of memory is filled with paradoxes. We tend to think that
memory is retrospective and relates to the past, but actually, it is
easily understood as prospective, related to the future. That's what
to-do lists and hand-held computers are all about. Interestingly, when a
person has a bad retrospective memory, we tend to think of them as
mentally defective, but when they forget to do something, we think them
irresponsible, i.e., morally defective. But Schacter's main point is
that each of our memory sins, including transience of memory,
absent-mindedness (such as the time Yo-Yo Ma left his US$2.5-million
cello in the trunk of a cab), suggestibility and bias, are not always
"failures" of our memory systems, but the product of a system evolved to
select what is most important. To have useful memories, we must be
capable of forgetting.

Dr. Doidge is a research psychiatrist and psychoanalyst. His column
appears every other Wednesday.