-Caveat Lector-

@
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/issue_janfeb_2001/atkearney.html

>>>At the site, there are some nifty little full colour bar (pencil) charts that
evaluate a number of nations in different categories.  Go there (via the URL above)
and enjoy yourselfs.  You'll find in the one at the bottom of the web page *why* the
subject line.  T'AER <<<

}}>Begin
Foreign               Policy
1779 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20036-2103
Phone: 202-939-2230
Fax: 202-483-4430

Measuring Globalization
Is                       Globalization Slowing Down?

Everyone talks about globalization, but no one has         tried to measure its
extent. . . at least not until now. The A.T.        Kearney/FOREIGN POLICY Magazine
Globalization Index TM dissects the complex         forces driving the integration
of ideas, people, and economies worldwide. Which countries have become the most
global? Are they more unequal? Or         more corrupt?
When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers,
you know something about it," the British physicist Lord Kelvin once
observed. "But when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express         it in
numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind."
"Unsatisfactory" is the word that best describes the contemporary         debate
over globalization. There seems to be a consensus that globalization—whether
 economic, political, cultural, or environmental—is defined by increasing
levels of interdependence over vast distances. But few people have undertaken
  the task of actually trying to measure those levels of interdependence.
For instance, how do we determine the extent to which a country has become
embedded within the global economy? How do we demonstrate that globalization
 is racing ahead, rather than just limping along? And how do we know just
how worldwide the World Wide Web has become?
Like the physical universe that Lord Kelvin sought to understand, globalization
    may be too vast a concept to be fully captured by today's still limited
set of statistical measurements. But that same challenge has not deterred
physicists from their relentless pursuit to measure with ever greater
accuracy the forces that hold the universe together. Nor should it deter
those who seek a deeper understanding of globalization and its impact         on
the contemporary world. Without some means to quantify the extent of
globalization, any meaningful evaluation of its effects will remain elusive.
With this challenge in mind, we present the A.T. Kearney/FOREIGN POLICY Magazine
Globalization Index TM, which offers a comprehensive guide to globalization in 50
developed         countries and key emerging markets worldwide. The Globalization
Index         "reverse-engineers" globalization and breaks it down into its
 most important component parts. On a country-by-country basis, it quantifies
  the level of personal contact across national borders by combining data
on international travel, international phone calls, and cross-border remittances
     and other transfers. It charts the World Wide Web by assessing not only
 its growing number of users, but also the number of Internet hosts and
secure servers through which they communicate, find information, and conduct
 business transactions.
The Globalization Index also measures economic integration. It tracks         the
movements of goods and services by examining the changing share of international
trade in each country's economy, and it measures the permeability         of
national borders through the convergence of domestic and international
prices. The index also tracks the movements of money by tabulating inward-
and outward-directed foreign investment and portfolio capital flows, as
well as income payments and receipts.
Given the unprecedented range of factors that the Globalization Index encompasses,
we believe that it is a unique and powerful tool for understanding         the
forces shaping today's world. And the results of this year's index         prove
startling. Much of the conventional wisdom cherished by both champions         and
critics of globalization collapses under the weight of hard data,         ranging
from the pace and scale of global integration and the characteristics         of
the "digital divide" to the impact of globalization on income         inequality,
democratization, and corruption.
The A.T. Kearney/FOREIGN POLICY Magazine Globalization Index TM may not settle the
question of whether globalization does more         good than harm. But the index
provides an objective starting point for         a debate that has typically relied
more on anecdotal evidence than empirical         facts.

The                       Global Top 20

Leaders of the Pack
In recent years, indicators of global integration have shown remarkable
growth. The number of international travelers and tourists has risen, now averaging
almost three million people daily—up from only one         million per day in 1980.
The latest data from the United Nations Conference         on Trade and Development
show that foreign direct investment jumped 27 percent in 1999 to reach an all-time
high of U.S. $865 billion, while         total cross-border flows of short- and
long-term investments have more         than doubled between 1995 and 1999. Due to
the falling cost of international telephone calls and the rising levels of cross-
border activity, the traffic         on international switchboards topped 100
billion minutes for the first         time in 2000. And with an online population
estimated at more than 250         million and growing, more people in more distant
places have the opportunity         for direct communication than ever before.

The expansion of information technologies adds to globalization in ways other than
facilitating communication. Some nations fear that the Internet         is an
engine driving U.S. cultural hegemony. Others see the Internet as         a
catalyst for creating global cultural communities, from Moroccan sports enthusiasts
rooting for their favorite Canadian ice hockey team to antiglobalization
protestors mobilizing against the World Trade Organization and the International
     Monetary Fund. The Internet is also an unprecedented means for disseminating
      ideology to a global audience, whether it is pro-democracy activists in
  Serbia rerouting dissident radio broadcasts to the World Wide Web or Chechen
   rebels maintaining their own online news service.
The full impact of information technologies on political and social         life is
not easily measured. But it is possible to gauge their effects         on the
economic sector. Information technologies make it possible for         nations to
sustain deeper levels of economic integration with one another.         Nowhere is
this integration more evident than in financial markets, which         use advanced
information technologies to move U.S. $1.5 trillion around         the world every
day. For the United States, cross-border flows of bonds         and equities alone
are 54 times higher now than they were in 1970. Such         flows have multiplied
by 55 times for Japan and 60 times for Germany.
At first glance, these trends lend credence to the popular notion that globalization
is fast creating a world that, as former Citicorp Chairman Walter Wriston put it, is
"tied together in a single electronic market         moving at the speed of light."
But a closer look reveals that global         integration appears to be growing no
more rapidly now than it has been         for years, and its pace may even be
slowing.
Why does globalization remain sluggish even as indicators of technological
integration—the number of Internet hosts, online users, and secure
servers—continue to grow exponentially? The data from our broad spectrum         of
developed and developing markets suggest that global economic integration
has wound down to something of a crawl. The drop in total trade to and         from
the 50 countries surveyed weighs particularly heavy in this slowdown.         The
chief culprit was the series of financial crises that rippled through
Southeast Asia, Latin America, and Russia in the late 1990s. Strong growth
in portfolio investments and foreign direct investment helped to moderate
these declines, and the value of world trade has rebounded since 1999.         As a
result, we see a situation in which economic globalizatio
n slowed         even as technological globalization continued at a rapid clip [see
chart].
Some nations have pursued integration with the rest of the world more aggressively
than others. The
 most globalized countries are small nations for which openness allows access to
goods, services, a
nd capital that cannot
be produced at home. In some cases, geography has played an important         role in
sustaining in
tegrated markets. The Netherlands, for instance,         benefits from (among many
other factors) i
ts position at the he
ad of the         Rhine, which knits together countries that account for almost three
quarters
    of total Dutch trade. In other cases, such as Sweden and Switzerland,
relatively small
domestic markets and
 highly educated workers have given         rise to truly global companies capable of
competing any
where in the world.         And a host of other factors has contributed to the
globalization of oth
er         small sta
tes. Austria, for example, benefits from heavy travel and tourism,         while
remittances from l
arge populations living abroad contribute to Ireland's         integration with the
outside world.

Tiny Singapore stands out clearly as the world's most global country         [see
chart]. The count
ry far outdistances its nearest rivals in terms         of cross-border contact
between people, wit
h per capita internat
ional outgoing telephone traffic totaling nearly 390 minutes per year. Singapore also
boasts a stea
dy stream of international travelers, equal to three         times its total
population. In contras
t, the United States h
osts only         one sixth that level of international tourists and travelers and can
claim
  less than one fourth the per capita outgoing international telephone traffic.
Yet in recent years, Singapore has struggled to maintain high levels         of trade,
foreign inve
stment, and portfolio investment, which help support         its globalization lead.
The Asian flu
is partly to blame, s
ince the financial         crisis undermined the entire region's economic performance.
But Singapor
e's slow progress in privatizing state industries, its failure to win endorsement for
a regional fr
ee-trade agreement, an
d its tight controls over Internet development have also slowed its integration with
other countrie
s.
Another country that ranks high on the Globalization Index is the Netherlands.
But here, th
e story is largely economic. Within only a few short years,         the Dutch have
both invested he
avily in other countr
ies and seen foreign         participation in their own economy rise to levels that
few other natio
ns         have been willing or able to sustain. In the wake of aggressive reforms
    that hav
e stripped regulatio
ns and enhanced labor flexibility, foreign         investment increased from 8 percent
of gross dom
estic product (GDP)         in 1995 to more than 19 percent of GDP in 1998.
Likewise, portf
olio investments gre
w from only 5 percent to more than         30 percent over the same period, the
highest levels in t
he world—more         than double those in France and Germany and five times higher
than those
    in the United Ki
ngdom.
With Sweden and Finland riding the wave of Internet development to similar
gains in integra
tion with the rest of the world, the current globalization         rankings may well
be in flux. Si
ngapore could slip fr
om the lead in the         coming years, as countries that are better positioned to
benefit from
      global communications technologies or that are more aggressive about reforms
    to attra
ct foreign trade and
 investment develop stronger ties with their         neighbors.
Yet despite signs of greater openness among these few leading countries, many others
remain stalled
 at much lower levels of integration, with little indication of imminent change. Thus,
there is rea
son to believe that the
 countries at the top of the rankings are only running further and further away from
the pack.

Digital                       Divides :

The Digital Abyss
Not all countries around the world have participated equally in the transition
to the new g
lobal economy. As the chart below indicates, the digital divide         between
developed and emerg
ing-market countries
is now more like a digital         abyss. On many relevant measures—from the diffusion
of Internet
users to the number of Internet hosts—the vast majority of economic activity related
to information
 and communications te
chnologies is concentrated         in the industrialized world.
But among industrialized countries, another digital divide exists. The Internet has
penetrated deep
ly in the United States, with neighboring Canada not far behind. In both countries,
over 25 percent
 of the population enjo
yed Internet access by 1998 (the last year for which data are available for all
countries in the su
rvey). More recent estimates put that number above 40 percent in both countries.
Perhaps more impor
tant, the United States
 and Canada lead the world in secure servers suitable for electronic commerce,
signifying that thei
r well-developed Internet networks can be used effectively to enhance commercial
activities as well
 as personal communicat
ion.
In addition to the United States and Canada, Scandinavian countries         also rank
among the wor
ld's most wired nations. Thirty-nine percent of Sweden's population was online in
1998, growing to
44 percent in more rec
ent surveys. Finland and Norway led in Internet hosts, each with more than 70 servers
per 1,000 inh
abitants connected directly to the World Wide Web.
Indeed, if any region of the world exemplifies the changing face of global
integration, that region
 is Scandinavia, where Sweden, Finland, and Norway         have turned their
traditional engineerin
g and manufacturing pr
owess to         work in the information technology boom while further opening their
countries
    to trade and investment flows.
Scandinavia's technological takeoff should come as little surprise.         In the
last century, Sw
eden was among the first countries to realize the         full potential of the
telephone. It offer
ed a means of mitigat
ing distance         in often sparsely populated lands. Thirty years ago, Sweden's
leading technolo
gy company, Ericsson, was among the pioneers in mobile telephony,         and this
decade the count
ry has embraced Inter
net technologies far ahead         of the curve. Stockholm, with nearly 60 percent of
its populatio
n online,         is perhaps the most wired city in the world.
In similar ways, neighboring Finland suggests the possibilities of this Internet-led
revolution. In
 1995, Finland topped all others in terms of Internet access. Information technology
made it possib
le for Finnish companie
s         to respond to competitive pressures by diversifying both their export
 markets and
 their workforce. Recent studies show that over one quarter         of Finnish exports
now go to co
untries beyond Europ
e, up from less than         one fifth in 1990. And nearly half the staff of Finland's
30 largest c
ompanies         now operate overseas, as compared to only 15 percent in 1983.
Although         oth
er countries have si
nce pulled ahead in levels of Internet penetration,         Finland has witnessed
rising levels of
trade and investment that have         pushed it into the fifth position overall in
the Globalizati
on Index,         mu
ch higher than it would have placed only a few years ago. One other         symbol of
success: The
market capitalization of Nokia, Finland's global         telecommunications giant, is
now higher th
an the country's gros
s domestic         product.
The fact that Sweden, Finland, and the rest of Scandinavia have been able to nurture
fast-moving te
chnological developments with their traditionally         lumbering regulatory and tax
regimes offe
rs an unexpected contr
adiction,         confusing traditional assumptions about how high levels of
regulation         imp
ede globalization. But what about areas of relatively high regulation         where no
technologica
l takeoff has yet be
en achieved? Look no further         than continental Europe to see the negative
effects of an unfa
vorable         business climate on integration. Indeed, most of the countries in the
       euro
zone, weighed down b
y their relatively low scores in Internet development,         rank at the bottom of
the top 20 glo
balized countries.
Concerns about the disparities between industrialized and developing countries,
especially with res
pect to Internet access and use, have touched         off a worldwide debate about the
global digit
al divide. Rather than
 a         division between developed and developing countries, however, the divide
     at this
 moment reflects the vast technological advances in North America         and the
Scandinavian coun
tries compared with
the rest of the world. Together,         those two regions stand on one side of a
gaping digital ch
asm that appears         to have left much of the remaining world behind.
If this "digital abyss" is to be bridged, developing nations         have the most
ground to cover.
 But deciding how to use their limited resources         poses a difficult dilemma.
Malaysia offers
 but one example of t
he perverse         choices that can ensue. In an effort to attract investment and
develop
its high-technology capabilities, Malaysia has spent more than U.S. $3.6 billion on
its Multimedia
Super Corridor. At th
e same time, over 70 percent of the nation's primary schools lack computer facilities,
and almost 1
0 percent lack proper connections for water and electricity. The result         is an
impressive in
frastructure not suffi
ciently supported by human capital.
For other countries, Internet development cannot proceed unless more fundamental
concerns about inf
rastructure are addressed. In Chile, one         of the most prosperous emerging
markets, 57 percen
t of the fixed telepho
ne lines and 58 percent of the mobile-phone subscribers are located in the capital
city, leaving mo
st of the country without Internet access. And Africa's underdeveloped
telecommunications sector ha
s left much of that con
tinent without reliable connections to the World Wide Web. For instance,         the
Democratic Rep
ublic of the Congo still has no direct link to the Internet,         and a large
number of African
countries can count n
o more than a few hundred         active Internet users.

Globalization                       and Inequality

More Equal Than Others
Antiglobalization critics frequently claim that globalization increases         income
inequality.
This assertion is elegant in its simplicity, but it ignores a host of other important
factors. The
level of income dispar
ity         in an economy might have more to do with history, economic growth, price
      and wa
ge controls, welfare programs, and education policies than it does with globalization
or trade libe
ralization.
Moreover, the empirical evidence suggests a very different story about income
disparity and globali
zation [see chart]. Emerging-market countries that are highly globalized (such as
Poland, Israel, t
he Czech Republic,
     and Hungary) exhibit a much more egalitarian distribution of income than
emerging-market natio
ns that rank near the bottom of the Globalization Index (such as Russia, China, and
Argentina). The
re are some exceptions:
 Malaysia, for instance, is more globalized but less equal than Poland.         But
the general pat
tern of higher globalization and greater income equality holds for most countries,
both in mature e
conomies and emerging
markets.

Globalization, Freedom, and Corruption

These findings should reinvigorate the debate over whether countries         are
poor and unequal because of globalization, or because they are not
globalized enough. Moreover, efforts to redress global inequality should         be
tempered with the recognition that many countries with skewed income
distribution patterns, including Brazil and Nigeria, also have large populations.
      That only underscores the difficulty of pulling the mass of humanity out
   of poverty.

A CAT Scan of Globalization
Trade, foreign direct investment, international telephone calls, Internet
servers—considered individually, statistics on each of these phenomena are accurate,
albeit insufficient, measures of global interdependence.         Yet, just as a cat
scan creates a three-dimensional image of the human anatomy from a series of two-
dimensional images, the A.T. Kearney/FOREIGN POLICYMagazine Globalization Index TM
provides a comprehensive view of global integration through an analysis         of
its component parts.
There is, of course, an irony associated with trying to measure globalization
  on a nation-by-nation basis. Even the least integrated countries are being
 drawn together by new forces beyond their ability to control, whether         it
is global warming, the spread of infectious diseases, or the rise of
transnational crime. And some of the most significant aspects of globalization—the
       spread of culture and ideas—cannot be easily quantified. These and
other challenges highlight the need for a closer and more refined examination
  of the forces driving global integration, not to mention further refinement
  of the tools used to measure it.
Want to Know More?       Copyright 2001, A.T.         Kearney, Inc. and the
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.         All rights reserved. A.T.
Kearney is a registered service mark of A.T.         Kearney, Inc. FOREIGN POLICY
is a trademark         owned by the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

End<{{

T' A<>E<>R
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Integrity has no need of rules. -Albert Camus (1913-1960)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The libertarian therefore considers one of his prime educational
tasks is to spread the demystification and desanctification of the
State among its hapless subjects.  His task is to demonstrate
repeatedly and in depth that not only the emperor but even the
"democratic" State has no clothes; that all governments subsist
by exploitive rule over the public; and that such rule is the reverse
of objective necessity.  He strives to show that the existence of
taxation and the State necessarily sets up a class division between
the exploiting rulers and the exploited ruled.  He seeks to show that
the task of the court intellectuals who have always supported the State
has ever been to weave mystification in order to induce the public to
accept State rule and that these intellectuals obtain, in return, a
share in the power and pelf extracted by the rulers from their deluded
subjects.
[[For a New Liberty:  The Libertarian Manifesto, Murray N. Rothbard,
Fox & Wilkes, 1973, 1978, p. 25]]