-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Sunday May 6 4:48 PM ET
Rumsfeld Hopes American Aircraft Flies Out of China

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said on Sunday he
hoped a crippled U.S. Navy (news - web sites) surveillance plane that
collided last month with a Chinese fighter jet can be repaired to be flown
out of China.

``The preliminary view is that it may be possible to repair it sufficiently
to fly it out, but that's not clear yet,'' Rumsfeld said on NBC's ``Meet the
Press.''

While he said a final decision had not been made on whether it would be flown
from Hainan Island, where it made an emergency landing after the collision on
April 1, Rumsfeld added, ``I think that certainly it would be logical it
would be flown out.''

Pentagon (news - web sites) officials said earlier Beijing had indicated it
did not want the plane repaired for flight. One alternative would be to take
the aircraft apart for shipment by boat.

Rumsfeld told CBS' ``Face the Nation'' that he expected Beijing would release
the $80 million aircraft after holding it for more than a month.

``I would suspect we'll get it back. They wouldn't have allowed an inspection
team to go in there if they didn't plan to return the airplane,'' he said.

In the incident that strained relations between the countries, China held the
24-member U.S. crew for 11 days until Washington said it was ``very sorry''
the Chinese fighter pilot had died in the collision and for landing at Hainan
without permission.

Rumsfeld also took responsibility for confusion last week when the Pentagon
ordered all military contacts suspended with Beijing, only to reverse the
order within hours.

``With respect to the confusion... there's no question that I made a
mistake,'' Rumsfeld told CBS.

The memo resulted from a misunderstanding of his statements by his assistant
for policy matters, he said.

``The thing to keep in mind is that mistakes get made, and this is trivial,''
Rumsfeld said on NBC.