Tuesday, May 8, 2001

Asa Hutchinson put war on drugs high on his list years ago

KEVIN FREKING
ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE

 WASHINGTON -- U.S. Rep. Asa Hutchinson has shown a particular
fascination with the war on drugs almost from the day he arrived
here, according to a review of speeches and committee
assignments and the bills that the third-term congressman has
sponsored.
    Indeed, two months into office, the Arkansas Republican
stood on the House floor and blasted the Clinton administration
for "retreating."
    "During the 1980s, our nation declared a war against drugs.
I was in that battle as a federal prosecutor. It was during that
time that our families, our communities and our law-enforcement
officials mobilized in a united effort to fight this war.
Because of this national crusade, teen-age drug abuse declined
from 1985 to 1992," Hutchinson said on March 6, 1997.
    "Then what happened? It was then that our national
commitment against this war on drugs waned. It was then that
teen-age drug use again started to increase, and we saw that
teen-age experimentation with drugs was on the incline."
    Now, President Bush is said to be considering making
Hutchinson as the point man in the country's efforts to
eliminate illegal drugs -- the administrator of the Drug
Enforcement Administration. If that happened, Hutchinson would
oversee more than 9,100 employees, a budget of $1.5 billion and
offices in 56 foreign countries.
    Neither the White House nor Hutchinson would comment on
reports that he is destined for the job.
    The congressman's silence is a deviation from when he was
being considered for deputy attorney general earlier this year.
Then, he was guarded in his comments, but he at least
acknowledged being approached by representatives of the
president. This time around, his only reply is "no comment."
    Why the change?
    "I have no idea," said his spokesman, Christian Brill.
"That's what he told me [to say]."
    Some political insiders back in Arkansas predicted an
announcement as early as Monday. It didn't happen, but
Hutchinson's staff said an announcement one way or the other is
likely by the end of the week. If Hutchinson were to get the
job, elections would be held later in the year to fill his slot
in the U.S. House of Representatives.
    In the House, Hutchinson has left a clear imprint on drug
legislation.
    Last year, he co-sponsored a bill that increased funding for
drug-enforcement agents and the cleanup of methamphetamine labs.
The bill, which became law, also increased the penalty for
amphetamine possession and provided money for treating drug
addiction.
    When House Speaker Henry Hyde, R-Ill., sponsored a bill that
would make it harder to seize property from drug dealers,
Hutchinson proposed an amendment that law-enforcement officers
considered more friendly.
    Hyde wanted to change the legal burden of proof that the
government needed to show in order to seize property from a
"preponderance" of evidence to "clear and convincing" evidence.
Hutchinson's amendment, which failed, would have stricken that.
    "It was Ronald Reagan who understood how to fight and win
the war on drugs," Hutchinson said on the House floor in June
1999. "It was President Reagan who knew that you had to seize
the drug dealers' cars, boats, airplanes and cash that were used
to carry on the drug business in order to hit them where it
hurts."
    "This is not the time to disarm our soldiers and to
demoralize our police on the front line, and it is certainly not
the right time to send the signal to the drug dealers that we
are weakening our resolve."
    Hutchinson also serves on the Task Force for a Drug-Free
America, a group of legislators focused on developing effective
strategies for fighting the drug war, particularly as it effects
youth.
    He also is on the Select Committee on Intelligence, which
makes him privy to budget discussions for such agencies as the
Central Intelligence Agency, which often works hand in hand with
the DEA.
    If nominated to head the DEA, Hutchinson would need to be
confirmed by the Senate. If approved, he would work with the
United Nations, Interpol and other organizations on
international drug-control programs.

Copyright © 2001, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Inc. All rights
reserved.

<FONT COLOR="#000099">Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding
and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
</FONT><A HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/TtO.UB/YKfCAA/tvCFAA/xrOVlB/TM";><B>Click
Here!</B></A>