-Caveat Lector-

How Gore Cheated American Troops Serving Overseas
NewsMax.com
Wednesday, May 9, 2001
Part one of Bill Sammon’s blockbuster book, "At Any Cost: How Al Gore
Tried
to Steal the Election," revealed how the networks cost George W. Bush at
least 10,000 votes in Florida by making an early - and completely false -
call giving the state’s 25 electoral votes to Al Gore.
Al Gore, who kept insisting that "every vote be counted,” robbed American
troops serving their country overseas of their right to vote, according
Bill Sammon's investigation of Gore’s shameful, underhanded fight for
Florida’s crucial electoral votes.
To illustrate the depths to which Gore sank in his effort to steal the
election from George W. Bush, Sammon tells the shocking story of Navy Lt.
John Russell, a heroic career officer who had just fought to help save
the
crew of USS Cole after it was bombed by terrorists in Yemen.
He tells how Russell was rousted out of bed days after the election to
take
a phone call from his wife that stunned him. His vote, she told him, had
been disqualified. He had been deprived of his right to vote
"Mrs. Russell explained that she had just gotten home when she received a
phone call from a woman at the Duval County elections office who said her
husband´s absentee ballot in the presidential election had been
disqualified
at the urging of Democratic lawyers on behalf of Vice President Al Gore,
the
party´s presidential nominee,” Sammon wrote.
"A few minutes later, Mrs. Russell told her husband, she got a call from
man with the Republican Party. He confirmed that Lt. Russell´s ballot had
been disqualified - along with hundreds of others that the Democrats had
protested.”
Russell’s reaction was heated, he told Sammon. "I was hot. Here I am,
deployed overseas. I´ve done everything I can to cast my ballot properly.
And I find out my vote doesn´t count because of a lousy postmark - even
though they received it before Election Day."
In early November, Russell was in the midst of a six-month deployment to
the
Western Pacific and Indian Ocean aboard the USS Tarawa. His ship had been
detoured to Yemen because of the terrorist attack on the Cole. On arrival
this dedicated officer volunteered to take charge of a tugboat to move
the
damaged ship to a safer mooring.
Knowing that the mail was slow and undependable, he took pains to mail
his
ballot early enough so that it would reach Florida by Election Day.
Russell
tells how he had arranged for the Duval County elections office to send
him
an absentee ballot.
"One of the things I´ve learned when you´re deployed overseas is the time
it
takes the mail to get back," Russell told Sammon. "I don´t care how
quickly
you throw it in the mailbox. It can take up to 30 days to get back to the
States. So as soon as I got my absentee ballot, I got it witnessed [and]
dated, and threw it back in the mailbox."
His ballot arrived at the Duval County elections office Nov. 6, the day
before the election, about the same time he was helping play host to the
grief-stricken sailors of the Cole and allowing investigators to take
over
his office on the Tarawa. Russell, who is proud of the fact that he had
voted in every election since he was old enough to cast a ballot, was
infuriated to learn from his wife on Nov. 18 that his ballot had been
thrown
out by Gore’s lawyers on the grounds that because it lacked a postmark he
could have sent it after the election - despite the fact that it had
arrived
the day before the election.
"Oh, I was torqued," the lieutenant told Sammon. "Especially after that
Palm
Beach crap. They weren´t confused about the ballot. And yet it looked
like
their votes were going to be counted. But to hell with the military."
Gore’s atttempt to invalidate the votes of America’s servicemen and women
was part of a strategy outlined in a memo that fell into the hands of GOP
lawyers. The memo outlined the steps Gore’s lawyers were to take in
challenging absentee military ballots.
One of Bush’s lawyers was a Panhandle attorney named Ed Fleming. He had
been
recruited to join the small army of legal experts to help stave off
Gore’s
attempt to reverse the election results. "There was a rumor that there
was
going to be concerted, organized opposition to try to keep out the
military
votes, and so they asked me if I would monitor the situation here in
northwest Florida," Fleming told Sammon. "I knew the county attorneys
around
here, so I called Tom Dannheisser, who´s the county attorney in Santa
Rosa
County."
Dannheisser told Flemming that he had gotten his hands on a five-page
memo
from a Democrat lawyer dated that day that spelled out the Gore team’s
shoddy game plan to disqualify military ballots. It was written by Mark
Herron, a lawyer working for Gore in the postelection battle.
"Herron distributed what obviously was intended to be a confidential memo
their lawyers, to give them reasons to challenge the ballots," Fleming
told
Sammon. "But one of the attorneys that they hired locally to do that
said,
'Well, gee, this seems good. I´ll just send it to the county attorney in
advance, so he´ll know what points I´m going to make at the canvassing
board
meeting.´
"So he sent it to the county attorney of Santa Rosa. It was one of the
dumber lawyers that had been retained by the Florida Democratic Party,"
Fleming said.
After having determined that the memo was a public record by virtue of
having been sent to Dannheisser’s in his capacity as county attorney,
Flemming carefully read what he realized was the Gore team’s "smoking
gun."
The memo instructed Democrat lawyers to make "pettifogging objections” to
military ballots, especially those not postmarked.
"I sent the memo up to Tallahassee that afternoon, and it all started
from
there," Fleming recalls with a chuckle. Upon receiving the Herron memo,
the
Bush command center in Tallahassee faxed it to Republican lawyers in all
67
Florida counties, Sammon wrote. The military ballots were to be publicly
tallied the next day by canvassing boards across the state.
The main battlegound was Duval County, home to more military families
than
any other county in Florida. Duval had more absentee ballots from
overseas
than any other county - 618 of 3,500 cast statewide. Five Gore lawyers
showed up at the elections office at 9 a.m. Friday to disqualify as many
of
those ballots as possible.
Tom Bishop, one of the Republican lawyers, was incensed as he watched the
Democrats, armed with the smoking-gun memo, blatantly go about disqualify
large numbers of military ballots.
"They had their little cheat sheet they were using, and they objected on
every single possible ground they could, no matter how spurious," Bishop
told Sammon. "It was so bad that there was rolling of the eyes by even
some
of the Democrats there who were watching their lawyers work."
Before Nov. 17, the Duval supervisor of elections compared signatures on
ballot envelopes against signature cards on file. He could find only two
absentee ballots that could not be included because the signatures did
not
match.
"But now the Democrats insisted that they be allowed to compare all
signatures, one by one. For seven tedious hours, they bitterly argued
that
signatures on more than 100 envelopes did not precisely match the
signature
cards - although some envelopes had been signed by sailors on rolling
seas
in hostile situations,” Sammon wrote.
"You could clearly tell it was the same person´s signature, but they
would
object because it didn´t have a certain curlicue or didn´t have a certain
twist or it was smaller," Bishop told him.
The Democrat lawyers sought to disqualify military ballots that had no
overseas postmark on the grounds that some voters might have marked their
ballots a day or two after the election and then mailed them in.
"But the Gore lawyers took this argument to absurd lengths by actually
disqualifying ballots received before Nov. 7. One belonged to a sailor
named
John Russell, whose vote was unceremoniously thrown out.”
"I don´t know how somebody in the Sea of Japan or the Indian Ocean could
have miraculously gotten it here on the sixth of November if it was
supposedly mailed after the election," Bishop told Sammon. "The whole
idea
behind the foreign postmark is to make sure it´s timely." The Gore
lawyers
also protested ballots on which the return address of the attesting
witness
was incomplete. They challenged ballots on which foreign postmarks were
smudged or partially illegible.
"Our goal was to challenge every vote that didn´t appear legitimate,"
says
Mike Langton, Gore campaign chairman for northeast Florida.
By 7 p.m., the Democrats protested against 147 absentee ballots. The
canvassing board agreed to hear formal arguments from the Gore and Bush
camps.
A full 19 hours after it began, the nightmarish battle over Duval´s
military
ballots came to an end. When the canvassing board announced that the
ballots
of 149 soldiers, sailors and airmen had been disqualified, a pair of
jubilant Gore lawyers actually exchanged high-fives for their victory
against America’s service personnel.
"A Republican, visibly shaken by this sight, demanded to know how they
could
celebrate the disenfranchisement of U.S. military personnel risking their
lives around the world. One of the Gore lawyers glibly replied: ‘A win´s
win.’" Statewide, Gore’s henchmen had been able to disqualify 1,420
ballots
statewide - or more than 40 percent of the 3,500 cast.
Dick Cheney, who had overseen the Persian Gulf war as secretary of
defense,
was infuriated by Gore’s attempted sneak attack on America’s servicemen
and
women serving their nation overseas, some in harm’s way. "Of all the
dirty
tricks attempted by Mr. Gore during the postelection struggle, Mr. Cheney
considered this the dirtiest,” Sammon wrote.
"I have strong feelings about the right of our people in uniform to vote
-
and they, perhaps, above all others," Cheney told him. "They´re out there
putting their lives on the line for us. For the other camp to pursue a
conscious strategy to try to disqualify their ballots, I thought, was bad
form."
Get "At Any Cost: How Al Gore Tried to Steal the Election," at a discount
-
cheaper than Amazon.
Read more on this subject in related Hot Topics:

Al Gore

Presidential Race 2000

A product that might interest you:
Shop NewsMax.com`s store for the best deals on books, tapes, videos and
more!