-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Tuesday May 15 3:10 PM ET
Senators Criticize FBI

By CAROLYN SKORNECK, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - The FBI (news - web sites) has had ``too many failures, too
many blunders'' of late - including its failure to turn over thousands of
documents to Timothy McVeigh (news - web sites)'s attorneys - and that is
undermining the confidence of the American people, the Senate Intelligence
Committee chairman said Tuesday.

``Any kind of failure at the FBI, anything that happens at the FBI that calls
into question something they did or failed to do leads to a lot of mistrust
with the American people,'' Sen. Richard Shelby (news - bio - voting record),
R-Ala., said after his committee met privately with FBI Director Louis Freeh.

Freeh told the senators that information in the newly found documents ``won't
have any bearing on the case,'' Shelby said. Reflecting a wariness of such
pronouncements, the senator added, ``We'll have to wait and see.''

``It's something that should not have happened, and it shows, probably, a
lack of diligence somewhere in the FBI,'' Shelby said. As the bureau's
director, Freeh is responsible, Shelby said, but he said others in the FBI
who failed to meet deadlines or follow orders ``ought to be brought to task.''

Freeh announced May 1 - a week before the FBI revealed the McVeigh documents
- that he would retire in June.

Sen. Orrin Hatch (news - bio - voting record), R-Utah, who chairs the
Judiciary Committee (news - web sites) that oversees the FBI, said of the
McVeigh documents: ``There's no question these mistakes should not have been
made in a high-profile case, or any case.''

``Every criminal defendant has the right to these types of materials and
we've got to live up to our responsibilities,'' said Hatch, who was not in
the Freeh hearing. ``We must see that those rights are protected.''

The FBI could be heading for some tough times in Congress after years of
almost unquestioned support.

Shelby called for ``a broad review of the FBI, its mission, its problems and
some solutions,'' Hatch plans Judiciary Committee hearings on the McVeigh
matter and Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., intends to propose creation of a
separate inspector general for the FBI, supplanting the Justice Department
(news - web sites)'s IG there. The new IG would report to the Governmental
Affairs Committee. Durbin is on both that panel and the Judiciary Committee.

The Intelligence Committee briefing was ostensibly about longtime FBI agent
Robert Hanssen, arrested in February on charges of spying for Moscow for 15
years.

But the talk moved to the McVeigh case, and, of particular concern to Shelby,
the case of the 1963 bombing of the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church in
Birmingham, Ala., that killed four black girls.

``From what I've learned recently, the FBI had information which they never
furnished first to our former attorney general, Bill Baxley, when he reopened
the bombing case'' in the 1970s, ``and only recently furnished it to the U.S.
attorney's office in Birmingham.''

The information - including hundreds of hours of tape recordings - helped win
the May 1 murder convictions of Thomas Blanton Jr., 62, a former Ku Klux
Klansman.

The three-decade withholding of information infuriated Baxley, who convicted
ex-Klansman Robert Chambliss when he reopened the probe in the 1970s.

``What excuse can the FBI have for allowing Mr. Blanton to go free for 24
years with this smoking gun evidence hidden in its files?'' Baxley wrote in a
May 3 commentary in The New York Times.

-