-Caveat Lector-

Newsmax-Inside Cover

Wednesday May 16, 2001; 5:59 p.m. EDT

Donaldson Disagrees with Rather on Clinton

ABC News reporter Sam Donaldson sounded like he didn't want to criticize
his CBS News colleague Dan Rather Wednesday afternoon, but in the end he
just couldn't second Rather's testimonial to Bill Clinton's honesty.

Rather told Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly the night before that he
thinks Clinton "is an honest man," despite the impeached ex-president's
well-known record of duplicity in the Monica Lewinsky case.

 O'Reilly's FNC colleague Sean Hannity asked Donaldson Wednesday if he
agreed with Rather during an interview on his WABC radio show:

 HANNITY: (Rather) was asked the question of whether Bill Clinton is an
honest man -- and he said "Yes." How would you answer that question?

 DONALDSON: Well, I think the record speaks for itself. I mean, he gave
dishonest answers, as he has now admitted, when he was under oath in the
Paula Jones deposition. Now, the question of perjury is one of legal
definition but, clearly, he was not honest.

 I mean, when asked whether he'd ever been alone with Monica Lewinsky,
he said "No, not that I recall." When asked if he ever gave her any
gifts and he said "No." You think that's honest?

 On the subject of Clinton's alleged rape of Juanita Broaddrick,
Donaldson cut his CBS colleague some slack.

 HANNITY: Dan Rather also said last night -- he says he doesn't know
much about Juanita Broaddrick. Is that possible, Sam?

 DONALDSON: I think it's possible. I mean, her name is not a household
word.

 HANNITY: How could he not know about Juanita Broaddrick, Sam? That's
impossible. This is the head of CBS News, the face of CBS News.

 DONALDSON: Well, again, I don't think Juanita Broaddrick is a household
word.

 Donaldson noted that in March 1999 he asked Clinton directly whether
Broaddrick's charges were true. He is the only reporter to broach the
topic with Clinton before or since.

 Rather than deny the rape charge, Clinton referred the question to his
lawyer.

 "Maybe Dan missed (that exchange). That's OK." Donaldson said.

                                Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

          FROM THE DESK OF:

                               *Michael Spitzer*    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>