-Caveat Lector-

Friends,

In honor of memorial day, a day which is set aside solely in remembrance of
the many difficult and enormous sacrifices made by those to preserve liberty
and freedom for this Republic, I am posting the full version of our "Star
Spangled Banner," and the US flag folding ceremony. I want to stress to
those veterans out there that you are appreciated so much, and I thank you
for everything you put on the line so we could be free and remain such.  If
I have anything to say, not one sacrifice of any service member who served
our Republic since its birth has been in vain.  Patriots, we cannot let what
our veterans gave so much for be taken.  No, rather we must take up the
banner of courage, just as our Founding Fathers did not so very long ago,
and resolve to pledge all in the task of restoring our Republic.  I beseech
all true Americans to read this ode to our great nation, and then ponder how
much has been given for it.

U.S. FLAG-FOLDING CEREMONY:

The flag folding ceremony described by the Uniformed Service Code is a
dramatic and uplifting way to honor the United States flag on special days
like Memorial Day or Veteran's Day, and is sometimes used at retirement
ceremonies and funerals.

The following is to be read as Honor Guard or Flag detail is coming forward:

"The flag folding ceremony represents the same religious principles on which
our country was originally founded.  The portion of the flag denoting the
honor is the canton of blue containing the stars representing the states our
veterans served in uniform.  The canton field of blue dresses from left to
right and is inverted when draped as a pall on a casket of a veteran who has
served our country in uniform.

In the Armed Forces of the United States, at the ceremony of retreat the
flag is lowered, folded in a triangle fold and kept under watch throughout
the night as a tribute to our nation's honored dead.  The next morning it is
brought out and, at the ceremony of reveille, run aloft as a symbol of our
belief in the resurrection of the body."

-Wait for the Honor Guard or Flag Detail to unravel and fold the flag into a
quarter fold- resume reading when Honor Guard is standing ready-

THE FIRST FOLD  of our flag is a symbol of life

THE SECOND FOLD is a symbol of our belief in eternal life

THE THIRD FOLD is made in honor and remembrance of the veteran departing our
ranks who gave a portion of life for the defense of our country to attain a
peace throughout the world.

THE FOURTH FOLD represents our weaker nature, for as American citizens
trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in times
of war for His divine Guidance.

THE FIFTH FOLD is a tribute to our country, for in the words of Stephen
Decatur, "Our country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be
right; but it is still our country, right or wrong."

THE SIXTH FOLD is for where our hearts lie.  It is with our heart that we
pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the
Republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with
liberty and justice for all.

THE SEVENTH FOLD is a tribute to our Armed Forces, for it is through the
Armed Forces that we protect our country and our flag against all her
enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of our
Republic.

THE EIGHTH FOLD is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the
shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor mother,
for whom it flies on Mother's Day.

THE NINTH FOLD is a tribute to womanhood; for it has been through their
faith, love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the men and women
who have made this country great have been molded.

THE TENTH FOLD is a tribute to father, for he, too, has given his sons and
daughters for the defense of our country since they were first born.

THE ELEVENTH FOLD, in the eyes of a Hebrew citizen, represents the lower
portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon, and glorifies, in their
eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

THE TWELFTH FOLD in the eyes of a Christian citizen, represents an emblem of
eternity and glorifies, in their eyes, God the Father, the Son, and the Holy
Ghost.

When the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost, reminding us of
our national motto, "In God we Trust."

-Wait for the Honor Guard or Flag Detail to inspect the flag; after the
inspection, resume reading-

"After the flag is completely folded and tucked in, it takes on the
appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the soldiers who served
under General George Washington and the sailors and marines who served under
Captian John Paul Jones who were followed by their comrades and shipmates in
the Armed Forces of the United States, preserving for us the rights,
privileges, and freedoms we enjoy today."

Thank you, American Veterans!

THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER

Oh, say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and brights stars
Through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave!

Oh, thus be it ever when freeman shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation;
Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven-rescued land
Praise the power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must,
When our cause it is just,
And this be our motto:  "In God is our Trust!"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave!

HISTORY OF OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM:

During the war of 1812, the British captured the city of Washington, setting
fire to the Capitol building and the White House.

In the blaze of cannon fire, Francis Scott Key, a lawyer living in
Georgetown, could still see an American flag waving over Fort McHenry.  When
the bombing suddenly stopped during that night, he had no way of knowing if
the flag was still there or if the American stronghold had fallen to the
British.  But at dawn the American flag became visible, still intact over
the fort.

Key was inspired to write a poem.  His brother-in-law took it to a printer
and copies were circulated around the city.  The "Star Spangled Banner" was
adopted as our national anthem on March 3, 1931.