-Caveat Lector-

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Aleisha Saba wrote:
>Who do you believe?   I choose to believe a reliable source and the
>sources I have check out most certainly were reliable.......this item
>reflects the views of professional sources....

And yet you either cannot read, or chose to pick and choose that portion
of the article that bolsters your prejudices...

To whit:

>Although perceived as being outside the groups that worry about AIDS,
>some lesbians may face a substantial risk of HIV infection because their
>behaviors do not follow the stereotypical views of this population,
>according to studies by researchers from UCLA and other institutions.
>
>While the risk of female-to-female transmission of HIV does appear to be
>small, judging lesbians' risk solely on this issue ignores evidence that
>some lesbians may use intravenous drugs and engage in sexual relations
>with men -- often young gay men -- according to the studies appearing in
>a special edition of the journal Women's Health.

This does not negate the statement I made.  MOST lesbians engage in
solely female-with-female intercourse, and most are also in committed
relationships (most reliable studies back this up) and also are NOT drug
users.

Disease risk increases with sexually risky behavior, and this applies to
heterosexuals as equally as homosexuals.  Shared needle use also
increases health risk, not just for HIV but for hepatitis, tetanus, etc.
Just because SOME lesbians may be drug users who share needles, or some
may engage in sexually risky behavior, does not mean that lesbians as a
group represent a health risk.

>"The good news is that our research suggests that, as generally
>believed, most lesbians do not face a high risk of HIV infection," said
>Susan Cochran, a UCLA public health epidemiologist and author of several
>of the studies in the special issue.

Which is exactly what I stated in my first post.

June

Check out Alternative Kite radio:  http://www.live365.com/stations/242153