>From http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/twain1.html

}}>Begin
The War Prayer
by Mark Twain

It
                was a time of great and exalting excitement. The country was up in
                arms, the war was on, in every breast burned the holy fire of
                patriotism; the drums were beating, the bands playing, the toy
                pistols popping, the bunched firecrackers hissing and
sputtering;
                on every hand and far down the receding and fading spreads of
                roofs and balconies a fluttering wilderness of flags flashed in the
                sun; daily the young volunteers marched down the wide avenue gay and
                fine in their new uniforms, the proud fathers and mothers and
sisters
                and sweethearts cheering them with voices choked with happy emotion
                as they swung by; nightly the packed mass meetings
listened, panting, to patriot oratory which stirred the deepest
                deeps of their hearts and which they interrupted at briefest
intervals
                with cyclones of applause, the tears running down their cheeks
                the while; in the churches the pastors preached devotion to flag and
                country and invoked the God of Battles, beseeching His aid in our
                good cause in outpouring of fervid eloquence which moved every
                listener.
It was indeed a glad and gracious time, and the half dozen rash
                spirits that ventured to disapprove of the war and cast a doubt upon
                its righteousness straightway got such a stern and angry warning that
                for their personal safety's sake they quickly shrank out of sight and
                offended no more in that way.
Sunday morning came – next day the battalions would leave
                for the front; the church was filled; the volunteers were there,
                their faces alight with material dreams-visions of a stern advance,
                the gathering momentum, the rushing charge, the flashing sabers, the
                flight of the foe, the tumult, the enveloping smoke, the fierce
                pursuit, the surrender! – then home from the war, bronzed heros,
                welcomed, adored, submerged in golden seas of glory! With the
                volunteers sat their dear ones, proud, happy, and envied by the
                neighbors and friends who had no sons and brothers to send forth to
                the field of honor, there to win for the flag or, failing, die the
                noblest of noble deaths. The service proceeded; a war chapter from
                the Old Testament was read; the first prayer was said; it was
                followed by an organ burst that shook the building, and with one
                impulse the house rose, with glowing eyes and beating hearts, and
                poured out that tremendous invocation – "God the all-terrible! Thou
                who ordainest, Thunder thy clarion and lightning thy sword!"
Then came the "long" prayer. None could remember the
                like of it for passionate pleading and moving and beautiful language.
                The burden of its supplication was that an ever – merciful and
                benignant Father of us all would watch over our noble young soldiers
                and aid, comfort, and encourage them in their patriotic work; bless
                them, shield them in His mighty hand, make them strong and confident,
                invincible in the bloody onset; help them to crush the foe, grant to
                them and to their flag and country imperishable honor and glory.
An aged stranger entered and moved with slow and noiseless step
                up the main aisle, his eyes fixed upon the minister, his long
                body clothed in a robe that reached to his feet, his head bare, his
                white hair descending in a frothy cataract to his shoulders, his
                seamy face unnaturally pale, pale even to ghastliness. With all eyes
                following him and wondering, he made his silent way; without pausing,
                he ascended to the preacher's side and stood there, waiting.
With shut lids the preacher, unconscious of his presence, continued
                his moving prayer, and at last finished it with the words, uttered in
                fervent appeal,"Bless our arms, grant us the victory, O Lord our God,
                Father and Protector of our land and flag!"
The stranger touched his arm, motioned him to step aside –
                which the startled minister did – and took his place. During
                some moments he surveyed the spellbound audience with solemn eyes in
                which burned an uncanny light; then in a deep voice he said
"I
                come from the Throne – bearing a message from Almighty God!"
                The words smote the house with a shock; if the stranger perceived it
                he gave no attention. "He has heard the prayer of His servant your
                shepherd and grant it if such shall be your desire after I, His
                messenger, shall have explained to you its import – that is to say,
                its full import. For it is like unto many of the prayers of men, in
                that it asks for more than he who utters it is aware of – except he
                pause and think.
"God's
                servant and yours has prayed his prayer. Has he paused and taken
                thought? Is it one prayer? No, it is two – one uttered, the other
                not. Both have reached the ear of His Who hearth all supplications,
                the spoken and the unspoken. Ponder this – keep it in mind. If you
                beseech a blessing upon yourself, beware! lest without intent you
                invoke a curse upon a neighbor at the same time. If you pray for the
                blessing of rain upon your crop which needs it, by that act you are
                possibly praying for a curse upon some neighbor's crop which may not
                need rain and can be injured by it.
"You
                have heard your servant's prayer – the uttered part of it.
                I am commissioned by God to put into words the other part of it –
                that part which the pastor, and also you in your hearts, fervently
                prayed silently. And ignorantly and unthinkingly? God grant that it
                was so! You heard these words: 'Grant us the victory, O Lord our
                God!' That is sufficient. The whole of the uttered prayer is compact
                into those pregnant words. Elaborations were not necessary. When you
                have prayed for victory you have prayed for many unmentioned results
                which follow victory – must follow it, cannot help but follow it.
                Upon the listening spirit of God the Father fell also the unspoken
                part of the prayer. He commandeth me to put it into words. Listen!
"O
                Lord our Father, our young patriots, idols of our hearts, go forth to
                battle – be Thou near them! With them, in spirit, we also go forth
                from the sweet peace of our beloved firesides to smite the foe. O
                Lord our God, help us to tear their soldiers to bloody shreds with
                our shells; help us to cover their smiling fields with the pale forms
                of their patriot dead; help us to drown the thunder of the guns with
                the shrieks of their wounded, writhing in pain; help us to lay waste
                their humble homes with a hurricane of fire; help us to wring the
                hearts of their unoffending widows with unavailing grief; help us to
                turn them out roofless with their little children to wander
                unfriended the wastes of their desolated land in rags and hunger and
                thirst, sports of the sun flames of summer and the icy winds of
                winter, broken in spirit, worn with travail, imploring Thee for the
                refuge of the grave and denied it – for our sakes who adore Thee,
                Lord, blast their hopes, blight their lives, protract their bitter
                pilgrimage, make heavy their steps, water their way with their
tears,
                stain the white snow with the blood of their wounded feet! We ask
it,
                in the spirit of love, of Him Who is the Source of Love, and Who is
                ever-faithful refuge and friend of all that are sore beset and seek
                His aid with humble and contrite hearts. Amen.
(After
                a pause)
"Ye
                have prayed it; if ye still desire it, speak! The messenger of
                the Most High waits."
It
                was believed afterward that the man was a lunatic, because there was
                no sense in what he said.

End<{{
Integrity has no need of rules. -Albert Camus (1913-1960)
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust