Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 5:45 PM
Subject: Re: [CTRL] Reply to an Amelia Basher

From: Amelia

>Well, June, I was asking Nate for I do not discuss anything
>with you if I can help it but since you have butted in, that
>just is not nearly good enough. The idea of including
>straight kids in an organization knowing full well that they
>are not likely to participate

How do you know for a fact that straight kids 'are not likely to participate'?

Even if that were true, it doesn't change the FACT that the gay and lesbian student clubs do not discriminate against anyone due to sexual orientation.  It doesn't change the FACT that the BSA as part of its bylaws makes it a point to practice discrimination against a particular group.  It doesn't matter who or what the leaders of either group are, nor the sexual orientation of the members of either group; what matters is what each group, as its stated policy, does in the way of allowing people to join.  The fact that the BSA chooses to discriminate against a particular group, and will dismiss a gay scout as quickly as they dismiss gay scout leaders, is the reason why it is finding taxpayer-funded venues closed to it.  As a PRIVATE organization, the BSA has the right to include or not include whomever they wish; they just can't expect to have PUBLIC facilites extended to them if they don't also allow ALL of the public to join.

>So it is just as I thought~~the tyranny of the vocal minority
>wanting to spoil things for everybody else.

The tyranny is all on your side.  My 'side', if there is one, is one that is inclusive of all groups.

You like the BSA as it now stands?  Fine, then have them host meetings in your house or your church or your private clubhouse.  Don't expect me and every other taxpayer, though, to foot the bill to allow a discriminatory organization to use facilities built and maintained with my tax dollars.

June

Check out Alternative Kite radio at:  http://www.live365.com/stations/242153
Bravenet IncrediMail - Email has finally evolved - Click Here