-Caveat Lector-

Steve Wingate wrote:

> -Caveat Lector-
>
> There has not been a single shred of factual evidence to support these
> allegations. Not a single photograph, nothing but claims by certain Bush
> officials of questionable integrity and motivation.
>
> Why no evidence? It did not happen anywhere close to the extent claimed.
>
> Steve

CHANGING OF THE GUARD
Post confirms earlier
WND vandalism account
White House property destruction by departing Clinton staffers

© 2001 WorldNetDaily.com

The Washington Post's current stories detailing destruction of
White House property by outgoing Clinton staffers confirms the
detailed, exclusive reporting done by WorldNetDaily.com last
January.

When vandalism reports surfaced upon George W. Bush's move
into the White House, initial official outrage was quickly
doused by the newly inaugurated president's stated desire to
"change the tone in Washington."

However, Rep. Bob Barr, R-Ga., a leader in the move to impeach
Clinton, asked the General Accounting Office to check into the
matter. In an April 27 letter, the GAO told Barr that there
was "no record of damage that may have been deliberately
caused by the Clinton administration." That is, the White
House had not maintained a written accounting of any damage.

The matter seemed dead and buried.

However, apparently unable to leave well enough alone,
Democrats like Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-N.Y., seized upon the
GAO report as vindication of Clinton and evidence that the
Bush people had been fabricating their initial vandalism
reports - and even demanded an apology from Bush.

Pushed against the wall, the Bush White House responded by
doing what it refrained from doing last January - and issued
late last week an extensive list of damage done by outgoing
Clinton staffers. The list includes obscene graffiti in six
offices, a 20-inch-wide presidential seal ripped off a wall,
10 sliced telephone lines and 100 inoperable computer
keyboards, according to the Washington Post.

Jake Siewert, Clinton's last presidential press secretary,
called the White House's actions "incredibly infuriating,"
reports the Post.

'We tried to be gracious'

"Most of the incidents described yesterday by White House
press secretary Ari Fleischer," said the Post, "were said to
have occurred in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building,
adjacent to the White House. Pornographic or obscene greetings
were left on 15 telephone lines in the offices of the vice
president and White House counsel and in the scheduling and
advance offices, Fleischer said. As a precaution, all phones
were disabled and reprogrammed, he said."

"The details were provided to The Washington Post after
several days of inquiries about the degree of White House
cooperation with the GAO, the investigative arm of Congress,"
reported the Post.

White House officials added that they did not release the
information sooner because of Bush's desire to "move forward
and not live in the past," said the Post.

But in the face of accusations the White House fabricated the
tales of vandalism, Fleischer says the Bush team was forced to
respond.

"The White House will defend itself and the career employees,"
Fleischer said, according to the Post account. "We tried to be
gracious, but the last administration would not take
graciousness. By getting the information out, we hope to put
an end to this, so everyone can go on with the policy and
business of the government."

Sunday's Washington Post story confirms -- five months
later -- WND's earlier investigative reporting, based on
knowledgeable sources such as career White House computer
technicians, on exactly what was damaged in the White House by
departing Clinton staffers.

Here are a few comparisons:

Post (June 3, 2001): "Fleischer said that workers were able to
affix new 'W' caps to many computers but that 100 keyboards
had to be replaced."

WND (Jan. 26, 2001): "Based on a preliminary survey, an
estimated 50 to 60 computer keyboards were actually destroyed,
and not just temporarily disabled as originally believed,
after outgoing aides removed the plastic key with the letter
'W' -- President Bush's new famous middle initial.

"'We'll actually have to replace the whole keyboards, because
they also gouged out the contacts underneath (the plastic
keys),' said a White House computer technician in an exclusive
interview with WorldNetDaily."

Post: "Fleischer also said five brass nameplates bearing the
presidential seal were missing in the Eisenhower building [the
Old Executive Office Building]."

WND: "Outgoing staffers pried several official U.S. emblems,
about the size of 50-cent coins, from doors in the Old
Executive Office Building, according to a General Services
Administration worker involved in the maintenance of White
House offices."

Post: "White House officials yesterday released a list of
damage ... including ... 10 sliced telephone lines ... ."

WND: "Former White House aides also cut telephone lines
throughout the White House compound.

"'There was a lot of them (severed lines) -- all over,
including the West Wing,' said another White House employee
who surveyed the phone damage."

Post: "Most of the incidents described yesterday by White
House press secretary Ari Fleischer were said to have occurred
in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building [also called the
Old Executive Office Building, where former Vice President Al
Gore and his staff officed]."

WND: "Career workers found most of the vandalism in the vice
president's offices in the Old Executive Office Building,
adjacent to the White House.

"'What we're seeing is that there are certain offices that did
this stuff,' the computer worker added. 'A lot of it is in the
vice president's office on the second floor of the OEOB.'

"'The vice president's people weren't very happy,' he
offered."

Commenting on WND's scooping the Post by more than four
months, WorldNetDaily.com Editor Joseph Farah asked: "Does
this mean WorldNetDaily has better sources in the White House
than the Washington Post?"

Farah added: "At any rate, this is just one more example of
WorldNetDaily getting it first and getting it right. If
readers want to get the real scoop about what's going on in
Washington, WND should be their first stop."

Read Paul Sperry's Jan. 26 report, "60 White House PCs
Sabotaged."