-Caveat Lector-

Tuesday June 5 7:12 AM ET

Thai AIDS Cure Claim Draws Crowds, Skepticism

By Angela Takats

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thousands of AIDS (news - web sites) patients are
flocking to a clinic in central Thailand which claims to have found a miracle
cure for the deadly AIDS virus.

Last week 4,000 people, some with oxygen masks and in wheelchairs,
flooded a gymnasium in Bangkok to get a free week's supply of 'V-1
Immunitor', which its creator claims eliminates the virus entirely.

The drug has not passed clinical trials and the government has not
approved it as a medicine, although Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra
has said it should be approved if it really works.

Critics say it offers false hope to Thailand's estimated one million people
with HIV (news - web sites)/AIDS, few of whom can afford expensive
Western AIDS drugs.

``I have a great deal of sympathy for those who want treatment,'' said
Bernard Gardiner, regional manager for HIV/AIDS for the Red Cross. ``But
it is misleading to make these sorts of claims.''

``The question this raises is, what is the Thai government's plan for access
to treatment? And this is a fundamental human rights issue.''

Gardiner suggested the government focus on making high-quality, low-cost
copies of antiretroviral AIDS drugs that already have a track record.

``CAN HELP PATIENTS''

But pharmacist Vichai Jirotthi-tikal says his drug V-1 -- made from a
mixture of calcium, magnesium and traces of the virus itself -- works, even if
he can't afford the time or money needed to test it to clinical standards.

``The data from the blood test shows we can help patients who are HIV
positive to develop themselves and have a healthy life,'' Vichai said. ``They
are normal -- they can work.''

He says the drug has eliminated the virus in two patients, and symptoms
such as skin lesions and fatigue have disappeared in others.

No one has independently verified the blood tests.

U.S.-born ``Darwin,'' 61, has been HIV positive for several years and said
he was eager to try it.

``You know, when one has AIDS -- one will try anything, almost, to live,'' he
said.

Sripai, whose husband died of AIDS, now lives with the disease, as does
her three-year-old daughter.

She said her symptoms had disappeared since she started taking the
drug.

``One year after I started taking the medicine I feel better and so does my
daughter. She used to be so skinny and had sores all over her mouth -- she
couldn't even eat. But now we are better,'' Sripai said.

The health ministry says it plans to study V-1, and Thaksin has said he has
asked the ministry to speed up the process of studying the drug.

Vichai says he will keep giving out V-1 as long as people ask for it.

(With additional reporting by Erin Prelypchan)

ANOMALOUS IMAGES AND UFO FILES
http://www.anomalous-images.com