http://www.geostrategy-direct.com/geostrategy-direct/

U.S. air borne laser hampered by limited range

The U.S. Air Force's air borne laser, a featured objective of Bush
administration funding efforts, is expected to be insufficient against
missile threats from Iran and North Korea.

Missile experts have told Congress that the ABL will have a range of 400
kilometers, insufficient to strike against Iranian launchers and missiles
fired from deep within that country. The Pentagon has asked Congress for an
additional $153 million for the U.S. Air Force program. Congress originally
allocated $234 million for the ABL, scheduled to be completed in 2008.

Officials said the administration now sees the ABL program as the key to
national missile defense plans. The ABL would relay a high-powered laser beam
from the nose of a Boeing 747 jet toward launchers or missiles fired in their
first stage. Infrared sensors aboard the jet would automatically detect the
missile launch.

"We think it's a revolutionary capability," Air Force Chief of Staff Gen.
Michael Ryan said. "We think to be able to put a high-powered laser, to be
able to acquire, track and destroy missiles in their ascent phase, is
terribly important to future capabilities in defense and force protection."

But the range of the laser would not meet the threat from the two most
ambitious missile and weapons of mass destruction producers. North Korea has
already developed intermediate- and long-range missiles as well as several
nuclear bombs. Iran, developing a missile with a range of 6,000 kilometers,
is expected to have nuclear weapons by the middle of the decade.

Ryan told a Senate committee on June 6 that the request for additional money
for the ABL would help ensure that the Pentagon could test a prototype within
as early as two years. The administration has told U.S. allies in NATO that
Washington wants to establish a layered defense that will confront enemy
missiles in every phase of flight and use aircraft lasers. Such a system
would contain laser weapons.

"We certainly want to do that and hold to that schedule, and hence that's the
reason that we put more money into it," Ryan said.

In a related development, the air force reported the success of a test of an
experimental cruise missile defense system. Officials said radars from land,
air and sea locked on to unmanned air vehicles that simulated cruise missiles
that flew over the Gulf of Mexico in an exercise held last week.

Officials said two of the systems meant to protect the United States and
Canada from cruise missiles could be operating by 2005. The radar units are
meant for point defense against cruise missiles fired by terrorist groups.