-Caveat Lector-

~~for educational purposes only~~
[Title 17 U.S.C. section 107]

Disestablish the Cult of Liberalism
   A religion to be banned from public schools.
Ann Coulter

This week the Supreme Court upheld the right of religious
groups to participate in the beautiful mosaic of
afterschool activities. No new territory was broken: The
case was almost identical to another case in which the
Supreme Court reversed the exact same court years ago.
This was massive resistance.

Justice Clarence Thomas remarked on the oddity of having
to reverse the same court twice, noting that while the
appellate courts aren't required to cite all the Supreme
Court's precedents, they might want to cite the last time
they were reversed on the same facts.

At least the 6-3 decision gives us an accurate count of
the atheists on the court, probably as accurate as my dream
of giving them all polygraph tests someday. ("Do you
believe in a Higher Being ... no, seriously.") Concerned
someone might be reading Leviticus during school hours,
Justice David Souter dissented in a hair-splitting exegesis
about the precise time classes let out (2:56 p.m.), vs.
the time the organizers would enter school property
(2:30 p.m.).

The New York Times's obligatory hysterical denunciation
of the decision revealingly complained: "(C)hildren that
young are unlikely to discern that the religious message
of authority figures who come to the school each day to
teach does not carry the school's endorsement."

It is simply taken for granted that it's desirable for
children to revere "authority figures" at government
schools. Normally those authority figures are teaching
the youngsters to put condoms on zucchini or training
them in the catechism of recycling. Sending a mixed
message about government "authority figures" might
interfere with the state's ability to turn small
children into Good Germans inculcated in the liberal
religion.

It's well past time for liberalism to be declared a
religion and banned from public schools. Allowing
Christians to be one of many afterschool groups induces
hysteria not just because liberals hate religion. It's
because the public school is their temple. Children must
be taught to love Big Brother, welcoming him to take over
our schools, our bank accounts, our property, even our
toilet bowls.

We're told the First Amendment requires a separation of
church and state, which, just as an incidental matter,
is completely false. The whole point of the Constitution
is to separate the federal government from the individual.

In keeping with the general theme, the First Amendment
provides that Congress cannot establish a religion -- but
nor can it stop the states from establishing religions.
That's why it says: "Congress shall make no law respecting
an establishment of religion." Dear Congress: You may be
eligible for a free country. You do nothing.

The only thing that tempers my annoyance with the canard
about states not being allowed to establish religions is
imagining the kind of established religion we'd have in
New York. We'd be doing daily devotionals to Saint Hillary.

Still, it is a fact that when the First Amendment was
ratified, several states had established religions.
Fortunately for the burgeoning minority religions in
those states, the established religions were things like
"Episcopalianism" and "Congregationalism" rather than
"Liberalism."

It's hard to imagine now, but before the official
government religion was liberalism -- devoted to class
warfare, ethnic hatred and intolerance -- Americans were
kind to one another. They managed to get along even
without ACLU lawsuits. Thus, when there were enough
practitioners of other faiths in a state to be bothered
by the established religion, the majority just
disestablished themselves.

Back to the New Country: Two malcontents at the Virginia
Military Institute recently sued to ban VMI's tradition
of saying a non-denominational prayer at mealtime. The
cadets are not required to recite the prayer or even
bow their heads. Merely having to stand while listening
to an invocation of God is apparently very upsetting
for them. (I'd hate to see these guys under fire.)

A typical rendition of the VMI dinner prayer goes like
this: "Almighty God, we give our thanks for VMI, for
its reputation, spirit and ideals. Let your favor
continue toward our school and your grace be abundantly
supplied to the Corps. Now, O God, we receive this food
and share this meal together with thanksgiving."

It doesn't get any more sectarian than that. How about:
"Designer of the Universe (if you're out there) ..."

Religious people keep cheerfully going back and trying
to formulate some prayer that won't make liberals angry.
But the problem won't go away. No prayer that assumes
a belief in a Higher Being will ever be acceptable.
God has no part in the religion of sex education,
environmentalism, feminism, Marxism and loving Big Brother.

In a totally unsurprising development, liberals finally
suspended their opposition to the death penalty in the
case of Timothy McVeigh. He was the sworn enemy of the
established religion of Big Brother. Too bad he never
stumbled into one of those afterschool Christian meetings.