-Caveat Lector-

Dear list,

More on this.

all accusations are alleged

excerpts from http://users.owt.com/crook/memory/

Although the mall study has been cited to support claims that
psychotherapists can implant memories of false autobiographical information
of childhood trauma in their patients, the therapeutic implications of the
study appear to be limited to a narrowly defined and perhaps even unlikely
situation. The mall study results suggest that if a psychotherapist were to
devise a plausible false memory of childhood trauma and tell a client, "I was
given this information by your relative who was present at the time," then
the client may accept this false account as fully or partially true. Notably,
a similar study (Pezdek, 1995) found that although 3 (15%) of 20 participants
recalled a plausible false memory of getting lost in a shopping mall, none of
the participants accepted an implausible false memory that they had received
a painful enema as a child from their parent.

Were Students Informed of Ethical Guidelines Specific to Their Assignment?

There is no evidence to indicate that Loftus’ students were informed that
deceiving study participants might be problematic. As Coan (1997) reported:
"I hadn’t realized that deceiving participants as a part of psychological
research was anything other than business as usual ... I hadn’t considered
most of their concerns at all, let alone how to address them" (p. 275).

There is no evidence to indicate that Loftus’ students were informed of
ethical guidelines regarding the use of children as research participants.
For example, the University of Washington’s HSC requires that prior assent
must be obtained from all child participants, and a Committee-approved form
is provided for this purpose (University of Washington HSC staff, personal
communication, June 2, 1997). Because the experiments on Brittany and Chris
were conducted by Loftus’ students without a Committee-approved form, they
appear to have been conducted in violation of University of Washington HSC
requirements.

The results of the mall study have been pervasively misrepresented in the
media, in scholarly journals, and in courtroom testimony to suggest that
therapists can implant false memories of sexual abuse in their clients.
Although researchers are not responsible for media inaccuracies regarding
their research, they are ethically required to attempt to correct
inaccuracies to the extent that this is possible. We are not aware of any
efforts by Loftus to correct these inaccuracies, and we welcome any published
evidence to the contrary.

The ad hominem argument is a logical fallacy in which one attempts to
discredit information, opinions, or questions by discrediting the person who
is raising the issue (e.g., Halpern, 1996). Loftus (this issue) describes our
article (Crook & Dean, this issue) as a "partisan essay" by "women like
Crook" who "complain," "deliberate[ly] attempt to distort [her] work," and
who "attack" her to "personally and publicly create trouble for [her]." She
proceeds further to "cast doubt on the process that led to the acceptance of
[this] manuscript." The ad hominem tone of Loftus’ reply follows her
established strategy of response to most writers who disagree with her.

Loftus has used the derogatory concept of "True Believer" (Loftus & Ketcham,
1994, p. 31) to characterize those who disagree with her as irrational
fanatics and has characterized therapists who use approaches of which she
disapproves as "executioners" (Loftus, Milo, & Paddock, 1995).

She has compared herself to someone who risked his life to save Jews from the
Nazis: "’I feel like Oskar Schindler,’ Loftus muses, referring to the German
financier who rescued doomed Jews from the Nazis" (Kahn, 1994, p. 80). "I
keep thinking of Oskar Schindler circling the lake with thousands of people,’
she says without a trace of irony ... "(Niemark, 1996, p. 50).1 We suggest
that, in comparing herself to Schindler, Loftus leaves little doubt as to how
she characterizes those who disagree with her. It is clear that those who
question Loftus’ work risk being confronted with attacks on their integrity
and credibility.

Although we acknowledge that inaccurate and mistaken memories may occur, we
must conclude that Loftus and Pickrell's mall study does not support in any
manner the notion that false autobiographical memories of abuse in childhood
can be implanted by therapists