Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 13:00:48 -0500
From: Bill Fetzner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Politics <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Politics] No evidence of oil company collusion

Feeling blue about the state of your email inbox? Then
you'll be tickled pink to hear about our free email
organization solution. Learn more at
http://click.topica.com/caaabBybz8RyXa86V89a/register

Hey, we need to hear some well-earned applause for business. According to a
judge in a California class action lawsuit against oil companies, "Justice
Stanley Mosk said that the 1996 lawsuit presented evidence that the
petroleum companies may have possessed the motive, opportunity and means to
unlawfully conspire. ''But that is all. That is not enough,'' Mosk said.

Are such charges likely to be any more truthful today when Governor Gray
Davis and his Democratic cronies try to shift the blame on oil companies for
the California energy crisis? I doubt it, and for additional good reason
thanks to this judge. Business can fairly be accused of having suspicious
motives and ample opportunities, but when business comes up completely
exonerated of allegations of price fixing and collusion thrown against them,
it's a sure sign that business too often gets a bad rap from those
Marxist-inspired opponents.

If you want to read the whole report, grab it fast because Newsday keeps the
news scrolling and it won't be there tomorrow.
~ Bill

http://www.newsday.com/ap/text/national/ap498.htm

~Check out other Hot Topics lists at
http://www.topica.com/hot