-Caveat Lector-

Russia has already forged new ties!  With Communist China! -  Bill

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Bush Urges Russia to Forge New Ties

Updated: Fri, Jun 15 1:00 PM EDT

By ROBERT BURNS, AP Military Writer
WARSAW, Poland (AP) - President Bush crossed Europe's old Iron Curtain divide
Friday and offered his vision of a new, more unified continent where nations,
including Russia, cooperate to "build the house of freedom."

He expressed hope for a "truly great" Russia where national greatness is
measured by "the strength of its democracy, the good treatment of its
minorities and the achievements of its people."

"NATO, even as it grows, is no enemy of Russia," Bush said. "Poland is no
enemy of Russia. America is no enemy of Russia."

The president addressed foreign policy notables at the Warsaw University
Library, a city landmark with a facade of giant copper plates with fragments
of great scholarly writings. Aides had billed the speech as a major policy
address, but Bush did not offer specific new policies or proposals.

"When Europe and America are divided, history tends to tragedy," Bush said.
"When Europe and America are partners, no trouble or tyranny can stand
against us."

Bush cited the decade of transition to democracies throughout the formerly
communist Eastern and Central Europe, and said he would make the case -
starting Saturday during his meeting in Slovenia with Russian President
Vladimir Putin - that it is time to move past Cold War doctrine to reach for
the fruits of democracy.

"The Iron Curtain is no more," Bush said. "Now we plan and build the house of
freedom, whose doors are open to all of Europe's peoples and whose windows
look out to global challenges beyond."

Outside the library, about 200 demonstrators shouted at Bush when he arrived.
Groups of young people held banners, one of which read: "Bush to outer space;
Missiles to dust bin."

The president praised Poland for its successful political and economic
transition and said it should be an example for others.

"I have come to the center of Europe to speak of the future of Europe," he
said. Some still call this `the East,' but Warsaw is closer to Ireland than
it is to the Urals," he said, referring to the mountain range east of Moscow.
"It is time to put talk of East and West behind us."

Bush said he believes in NATO membership for "all of Europe's democracies
that seek it and are ready to share the responsibilities that NATO brings."
He mentioned no specific candidate countries.

In remarks preceding Bush's address, Polish President Aleksander Kwasniewski
urged that "the doors of NATO remain open." He said Slovakia, Slovenia and
the Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania be asked to join because
they have built functioning democracies. He also urged membership for
Bulgaria and Romania, and said the matter may be settled when NATO leaders
meet in November 2002 in Prague, Czech Republic.

Bush began his Warsaw visit - the fourth stop on an inaugural five-nation
European tour - by meeting with Kwasniewski at the 17th century Presidential
Palace, a Baroque-style mansion where his father attended a state dinner in
1989.

Much of Bush's speech, his only public address during his week in Europe, was
directed at Russia.

"We have a stake in Russia's success, and we look for the day when Russia is
fully reformed," he said. The United States and Europe "can and should build
partnerships with Russia and with all the countries that have emerged from
the wreckage of the former Soviet Union."

At a news conference with Kwasniewski, Bush said he envisions Russia as a
partner and ally, and said the former Soviet empire "should not fear the
expansion of freedom-loving people to her borders."

He announced that the United States had begun the process of transferring a
second frigate to the Polish navy, and expressed support for Poland to gain
membership in the European Union. The two leaders also discussed NATO
expansion, which Bush said is inevitable and should be not be based on the
politics of exclusion.

"And we don't believe any nation should have a veto over who is accepted,"
Bush said.

Bush said he would seek to assure the Russian president that he wants to help
elevate Russia's role "in the world and Europe" while raising concerns about
possible Russian shipments of weapons material to Iran.

Bush said his primary goal is to build trust with Putin so that when their
meeting is over, "I am confident I'll be able to say I got a pretty good feel
for the man, and he's got a good feel for me."

Bush met later Friday with Polish Prime Minister Jerzy Karol Buzek, and laid
wreaths at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the Warsaw Ghetto Memorial.

Bush faced the tomb at attention while two soldiers placed a wreath of red,
white and blue flowers before an eternal flame under arches that are the only
surviving remnant of the Saxon Palace destroyed by the Germans during World
War II.

In his speech, Bush praised Poland as a shining example of a formerly
communist nation that wisely managed its transition to a free-market
democracy. That transformation was sparked by the Solidarity union movement
in the early 1980s, clinched by the fall of the Berlin Wall in November 1989
and capped by Poland's entry into NATO in 1999.

"You have proven that communism need not be followed by chaos," he said.

The idea of continuing the integration of the formerly communist nations of
Eastern and Central Europe into institutions born during the Cold War is one
Bush raised at each stop on his first trip to Europe as president, which
began Tuesday in Spain and included a NATO summit in Brussels, Belgium.