-Caveat Lector-

> In a message dated 6/18/01 3:06:12 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >Several of Africa's proudest empires were built on the
> >sale of slaves. For centuries Africa's chief export was human beings. When  >
>>>Congresswoman Maxine Waters speaks of "my African
ancestors' struggle for
> >freedom," she doesn't know what she's talking about. Slavery was an African
> >institution long before it spread to the South, and there was no abolition
> >movement to trouble it.

It seems the above statement about Africa is historically accurate.
I don't think Sobran ever wrote that only Africa promoted the slave trade.

Of course slavery has always been practiced by Europeans in Europe.
Thats where the word "slavery" (i.e. "slavs") comes from.
Huge numbers of slaves taken as war booty have been transferred
all over the world since ancient times. Many modern day Italians can
trace their linage to Israelis brought to Rome as slaves after the Diaspora.
A recent article revealed that some old English families have African
DNA from African slaves brought to England by the Romans.

Africans have also owned white slaves. The North African Moors
owned large numbers of white slaves in Spain before the 15th century.
We haven't even begun to discuss slavery in China (millions upon
millions).

As a matter of fact more white slaves aka "indentured servants" (5 million
over 200 years) were brought to the North America then black African slaves.
Probably over 25%  of these white slaves suffered death and extreme
suffering  as "indentured servants." But of course millions of poor European
serfs suffered the same fate without leaving their villages.

Slavery  and serfdom has always been an equal opportunity employer.
flw