Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Yemen Arrests Nine in Plot Against U.S.
NewsMax.com Wires
Tuesday, June 19, 2001
WASHINGTON -- Authorities in Yemen have arrested nine suspected terrorists
for allegedly plotting an attack against U.S. investigators who were
investigating last fall's suicide bombing of the USS Cole, The Washington
Post reported Tuesday.
The newspaper cited a senior U.S. official as saying the men were believed to
be affiliated with the Islamic Army of Aden, a fundamentalist group linked to
Saudi extremist Osama bin Laden. The official said the men were found with
hand grenades, small arms and documents, including a map of the U.S. Embassy
in Sanaa, the capital, that indicated they were planning to attack Americans
in Yemen.

"There is a very real and credible threat specifically against those
investigating the Cole bombing," FBI spokesman John Collingwood said. "Based
upon what we know, we thought it prudent to remove our personnel rather than
endanger both investigators and those U.S. officials around them."

Kenneth Katzman, a Middle East analyst and terrorism expert at the
Congressional Research Service, told The Post that whatever the group's links
to bin Laden, it is clearly a "homegrown" offshoot of a radical Islamicist
movement that has existed in Yemen for years.

Meanwhile, CNN reported the U.S. Embassy in Yemen was a terrorist target in
recent days and came close to being attacked.

"We narrowly dodged a serious attack," said an official. He described the
threat as "imminent, specific and credible."

U.S. agents from the FBI and the Navy Criminal Investigative Service had been
in Yemen since suicide bombers in a small boat pulled alongside the USS Cole
in October as it refueled in the Yemeni port of Aden and detonated a massive
bomb, killing 17 sailors and wounding 39 others aboard the destroyer.

U.S. investigators have been trying to determine whether bin Laden is linked
in any way to the Cole bombing but have yet to announce a definitive
relationship. Bin Laden, a fugitive in the mountains of Afghanistan, has been
indicted in New York for orchestrating the August 1998 bombings of two U.S.
embassies in East Africa.