Former Power Plant Employees: Company Manipulated Power Supply

Ind. System Operator Accused Power Co. Of Withholding Power

Former Employees Scheduled To Testify Before The State

SAN DIEGO, June 21, 2001

(CBS) After deregulation, Duke Energy bought four California power plants.
The company appears to hold the record for the highest price ever charged for
electricity — almost $3,900 a megawatt.

Before the energy crisis the average price was only $30, reports CBS News
Correspondent Vince Gonzales.

In an exclusive interview, workers from Duke's South Bay Power Plant tell CBS
News how they think Duke may have pushed up prices.

"Their exact quote was they're making more money than they ever thought
possible," recalled Glenn Jonson.

Johnson, who was a mechanic at the South Bay plant for more than 20 years,
supports what state investigators say happened across California — units were
shut down unnecessarily in order to shrink the supply of electricity.

"I felt I was directed at pieces of equipment that didn't need to be taken
down at that particular period of time," said Johnson.

Johnson also claims Duke ordered maintenance shutdowns even though he didn't
have the needed parts.

"Looking back at it, it would tell me they wanted the load limited," said
Johnson. Asked if that meant less power would be coming out of the plant and
higher prices, Johnson replied, "Correct."

Ed Edwards knows why they had to wait for spare parts. A supervisor ordered
him to get rid of them.

"I explained to him, 'Man, that's good stuff. These are parts we can use.'
And so I took a forklift and I disposed of some 23 palettes of good
inventory," said Edwards.

And after 22 years at the plant, he couldn't understand Duke's decision to
constantly run the most expensive turbine that produced the least power.

"I cant tell you (why Duke would do that). My opinion would be it had
something to do with economics," said Edwards.

Jimmey Olkjer is no economist, but he was an assistant control room operator
at the plant.

"Why do you think they ran it so much? It cost more to run so you can charge
more for each megawatt," said Olkjer.

Control room logs obtained by CBS News show Duke Energy Trading and Marketing
(DETM) ordered power levels to quickly rise and fall — something Olkjer says
never occurred before deregulation at Duke.

"Well, that means to me they were manipulating the market," said Olkjer.

"We stand behind our maintenance practices and have done a good job keeping
the power flowing," said Duke spokesman Tom Williams.

Williams says the expensive turbine met demand and environmental
requirements. And as for the logs, Duke says every change in power level was
ordered by the state.

"The state ordered us to do make those changes," he said.

The ISO or Independent System Operator, which has already accused Duke of
withholding power 80 percent of the time last year, is checking its own logs
and may have some answers Friday, when the plant workers are scheduled to
testify before a state committee on price-fixing.

"This needs to be exposed. When I look at my bill every month, having the
knowledge of what's going on behind the scenes, I think it's a crime that
everybody's paying the amount of money that they are," said Edwards.

"It just seems to be morally wrong. There is a thing about making a fair
profit and there is nothing fair about this," said Johnson.