-Caveat Lector-

For an immigration time-out: http://www.projectusa.org/

Wildlife holocaust may be triggered by vanishing borders
Issue 79: June 23, 2001

+== TIME OUT PROJECT ==+

"Each day, tens of thousands of trucks pass into the United States from
Mexico -- 5000 through Laredo, Texas checkpoints alone," reports the
Christian Science Monitor Week (Since NAFTA, increased drug traffic, May
10-16, 2001).  And according to the Washington Times, "Only 60
inspectors monitor the 80,000 American and Mexican rigs that cross the
border 4.5 million times per year." ("Highways to open to Mexican
trucking," May 3, 2001)

This crush of cross-border truck traffic poses huge problems for law
enforcement, which faces record levels of drugs and humans smuggled in
big rigs.

But John Tanton, publisher of the quarterly journal, The Social
Contract,  points out another threat -- often overlooked -- posed by
increasingly open borders: the introduction into the United States of
foreign plagues such as foot-and-mouth disease (already endemic in parts
of South America as far north as Colombia).

"If the foot-and-mouth virus is let loose on our susceptible animals,"
writes Dr. Tanton, "there will be no calling it back, especially for
wild creatures. The risk is huge, and the consequences are potentially
devastating, both environmentally and economically."

Yet, the last line of defense against such a disaster, the U.S.-Mexico
border, is "vanishing before our eyes," according to the June 11 Time
Magazine cover proclaiming AMEXICA!
__________
Hoof-and-Mouth Disease -- A Border Control Issue
http://www.thesocialcontract.com/cgi-bin/showarticle.pl?articleID=958&terms=hoof-and-mouth

Details of foot-and-mouth disease
http://projectusa.org/Ezine/ezine_links/Ezine_memo_hoof_mouth.html

The Threat of NAFTA Trucking (great stuff here)
http://www.limitstogrowth.org/WEB-text/nafta-trucking.html

+== TAKE POSITIVE ACTION ==+

Despite the serious potential danger, the Bush Administration is
irresponsibly pushing ahead with its plans to open the United States
completely to Mexican trucks.

This would greatly increase the likelihood that foot-and-mouth disease
will find its way into the United States. It is not hard to picture the
nightmarish results if this were to happen.  Millions of deer and other
cloven-hoofed wildlife would suffer a painful, untreatable disease
comparable to leprosy, and infected domestic animals -- such as dairy
cows -- would be subject to wholesale slaughter.

Those organizations that care about the well-being of animals and
wildlife should be front and center in opposing the reckless,
profit-driven dismantling of border safeguards.

You can contact the organization below with this message:  Please oppose
the corporate globalists and their friends in the Bush Administration
who want to open the United States to Mexican trucks.  This plan
increases the likelihood that diseases like foot-and-mouth will infect
our domestic and wild animal populations.  Please help stop this
potential holocaust by taking a strong stand against NAFTA, FTAA and the
other globalist corporate consumerist schemes.

PETA
501 Front Street
Norfolk, VA 23510
757-622-PETA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

ASPCA
424 E. 92nd Street
New York, NY 10128
212-876-7700
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Defenders of Wildlife
1101 Fourteenth Street, N.W.
Suite 1400
Washington, DC 20005
Phone: (202) 682-9400
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

+== QUOTE OF THE WEEK ==+

Speaking as a retired former Director of the U.S. Border Patrol Academy,
and a former Chief Patrol Agent for the INS Border Patrol, I will state
unequivocally that we can and should immediately deploy the Army and
other armed forces to our southern border. Currently our border is out
of control because of our government's refusal to deal with the problem.

Bill King

+==EMAIL OF THE WEEK==+

I just found out about your organization while reading Newsmax.com, and
I think the concept of advertising the immigration problem on billboards
is a great idea. This open-door immigration policy is another form of
insanity. Your organization exhibits a high degree of common sense so
often lacking in our out-of-control society.

Bruce
Wilkes-Barre, PA

+==INFORMATION==+

Unsubscribe: hit reply, and type "remove" in the subject line
Ezine staff: http://projectusa.org/Ezine_staff.html
Tax-exempt gifts: http://projectusa.org/contribute.html

2d