-Caveat Lector-

Probably the real truth of this is that there is a lot of money to be made by
stateside people in the the trafficking of drugs and that money is being threatened.
It is a real catch 22.

On Tue, 26 June 2001, Yardbird wrote:

> -Caveat Lector-
>
> Taliban Twists Shrub With Poppy Politics
>
> Bush's Opium Bender
>
> http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0125/ridgeway.shtml
>
> In its dealings with Afghanistan, the Bush administration has inherited a
> real catch-22. On the one hand, the White House needs to get rid of the
> terrorist Osama bin Laden, who is sheltered by the ruling Taliban. On the
> other, it wants to continue the global war on drugs--a campaign in which the
> internationally shunned Islamic extremists have become an unexpected ally,
> slapping a ban on growing the poppies that provided 75 percent of the
> world's opium supply.
>
> Now Bush is in the ungainly position of favoring the Northern Alliance, a
> Russian-backed resistance group that funds its efforts in part by
> trafficking in narcotics. ''The basic problem is that the U.S. so far has
> failed disastrously in Afghanistan, and for a decade has had no policy
> toward Afghanistan other than bin Laden,'' says S. Frederick Starr, chair of
> the Central Asia--Caucasus Institute at the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced
> International Studies. ''It is legal under U.S.-led UN sanctions to send
> arms to the Northern Alliance, which is actively exporting drugs, but
> illegal to send arms to the Taliban, which has stopped drug production.''
>
> In eradicating poppies, Afghanistan shut down a market with a total
> production value of $100 billion. The Taliban received relatively little of
> that money, with annual revenues during the 1990s of $10 million to $75
> million, but farmers could still bank on a crop worth five times as much as
> conventional rice or wheat.
>
> Starr argues that if the UN fails to loosen the strictures against
> Afghanistan, the Taliban may let farmers plant poppies again rather than
> allow other countries like Pakistan and Myanmar to jump in. The Taliban has
> no standing with the UN, which has given Afghanistan's seat to the Northern
> Alliance. So far, the Taliban leaders' biggest role in the world economy has
> been supplying the raw material for drugs. ''And without Western, U.S., and
> UN leadership,'' Starr says, ''it will not change.''
>
> Afghanistan's poppy growers are having an especially rough time of it
> because a drought is compounding the difficulty of switching to other crops.
> This year, the U.S. allocated $120 million in aid to Afghanistan, including
> $43 million in food aid during the month of May. Assisting the Afghan
> people, says Charles Fairbanks, a former deputy assistant secretary of state
> under Bush and Reagan who now teaches at Johns Hopkins, is the only moral
> choice. The U.S. helped create the mess there when it sided against Russian
> invaders in the 1980s, giving the impression we'd be around to help with the
> consequences, too. Aid now ''is a matter of honor,'' Fairbanks says. ''They
> fought on the American side and the side of the administration in the last
> [...]

"Welcome to the desert of the real."  Morpheus, in The Matrix

"My God it's full of stars!"  Dave Bowman, in 2001: A Space
Odyssey
http://www.shopping.altavista.com