-Caveat Lector-

[If you aren't familiar with the name Wayne Dumond, read the article below
by NYP's Steve Dunleavy below.  --MS]

The Associated Press

FORMER ARKANSAS INMATE HELD ON MURDER CHARGES IN MISSOURI

Tim Kniest,a spokesman for the Missouri Department of Corrections -- says
Dumond was wanted in connection with a murder case and arrested Saturday
morning, shortly after midnight.  The 51-year-old Dumond is being held in
the Clay County jail near Kansas City.

DuMond moved to Smithville, Missouri, last year from his hometown of DeWitt
after his parole was transferred to Missouri.  He had been convicted in
1985 of kidnapping and raping a Forrest City teenager.

While awaiting his trial, DuMond was castrated by masked men.  No one was
arrested in the attack.  But former Saint Francis County Sheriff Coolidge
Conlee was ordered by the courts to pay DuMond 100-thousand dollars for
displaying DuMond's testicles in a jar on his desk in the sheriff's office.

Copyright 2001 by The Associated Press.

http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/local.pat,local/3accc6c2.625,.html

Kansas City Star June 25, 2001

Convicted rapist held in murder investigation

By BENITA Y.  WILLIAMS
The Kansas City Star

A Smithville man on parole for rape in Arkansas was questioned Monday by
police in connection with a Northland murder.

Kansas City police arrested Wayne E.  Dumond, 51, on Friday at his
residence in the 400 block of East Main Street on a parole violation
warrant involving a homicide investigation.  He was transferred Saturday to
the Clay County Jail and was being held without bond Monday.

Missouri Department of Corrections spokesman Tim Kniest said the warrant
was issued because Kansas City police had "significant evidence" linking
Dumond to a homicide.

"If the evidence is overwhelming that a person is involved in a violation
of the law, probation and parole will issue a parole violation warrant and
then complete its investigation," Kniest said.

Dumond's attorney, Bruce Houdek, said his client was not guilty and that he
would request a preliminary parole hearing to determine whether the state
had probable cause to issue its warrant.

Kansas City police spokesman Steve Young confirmed the department had
evidence that showed Dumond may be a suspect in a homicide but declined to
say which murder it involved.

Jim Roberts, a spokesman for the Clay County prosecutor's office, said the
case involved a Clay County homicide that took place within the past year.

"I do not know if there are other cases in other jurisdictions, but I know
other jurisdictions are interested in the results of the search warrant,"
Roberts said.

Police on Friday also searched Dumond's Smithville apartment and an
unidentified place of employment in nearby Platte County.  Police would not
comment on what they found.

Houdek said he could not comment because he and his client had not been
given copies of the Clay County search warrant, a list of what was taken in
the two searches or the parole violation warrant.

Dumond was on parole for a 1985 rape conviction in Arkansas.  His parole
was transferred to Missouri last year after he married a woman from the
Smithville area.  Dumond had no parole violations in Missouri before last
week, Kniest said.

Dumond's Arkansas conviction involved the 1984 rape of a 17-year-old high
school cheerleader from Forrest City who was a distant cousin of former
President Bill Clinton.

While awaiting trial, Dumond said he was castrated by masked men at his
residence.  No one was arrested, but Dumond received a lawsuit settlement
against then-Sheriff Coolidge Conlee of St.  Francis County, who kept
Dumond's testicles in a jar on his office desk.

After being convicted of rape, Dumond was sentenced to life in prison plus
20 years.  In 1992, Gov.  Jim Guy Tucker commuted the sentence to 39 years
and six months.  In 1996, Gov.  Mike Huckabee said he had "serious
questions" about Dumond's guilt and started the process to free him.

After the victim's family protested, Arkansas officials in 1997 approved a
parole plan that would free Dumond if another state would take him.

Texas and Florida both rejected parole plans and Dumond remained in prison
until the Arkansas parole board granted his release in 1999.  He moved to
Smithville in August.  He was scheduled to be released from parole in 2004.

WHERE'S THE PARDON FOR WAYNE DUMOND?

New York Post February 21, 2001
By Steve Dunleavy

IN HIS busy schedule between shoplifting and granting pardons to traitorous
animals, Bill Clinton has continually suffered a massive attack of amnesia.

Both as governor of Arkansas and president, the one pardon he forgot about
was Wayne Dumond.

In 48 years on this job on six continents, I have never seen or heard of a
miscarriage of justice in these United States like the one visited on Wayne
Dumond.

And all those over-educated idiots in the Washington press corps never
asked Clinton about Dumond.  Marc Rich?  Sure.  Wayne Dumond?  Never.

Here are the facts, not to be read by the innocent, but just the facts:

* In 1985, Dumond, a Vietnam vet with no record, married, father of five
was convicted of raping a 17-year-old girl who identified two other men but
could not identify Dumond.

* Before Dumond actually went to jail, two hooded animals hog-tied him to
the rafters of his home in Forrest City, Ark., and castrated him, to be
found in a bloody mess by his kids coming home from school.

* It was learned that the villains had been let out of jail by then Sheriff
Coolidge Conlee and told to slice Dumond.  The sheriff, before he went to
jail on a RICO charge, actually displayed Dumond's testicles in a jar on
his desk.

* When Judge Dan Ivy heard the verdict of the jury, he had to, under
guidelines, sentence Dumond, castrated and all, to 50 years.  Ivy was so
convinced of Dumond's innocence, he quit the bench and became Dumond's
lawyer.

* Armed with a semen sample off a pair of jeans worn by the "victim" and
which the state claimed came from Dumond, I went to Atlanta.  I presented
the sample to Dr.  Moses Schanfield, one of the most respected DNA experts
in the country.

Dr.  Schanfield told me: "No way, zip, nada.  No way Dumond was the donor
of that sperm.  Not in a million years."

We ambushed Clinton, who wasn't as talkative as governor of Arkansas as he
was as president.

"There is no merit to review this case, and as governor I can't comment,"
he said at the time.

Now, this could just be an ugly story of a retarded sheriff, retarded thugs
in a retarded place called Forrest City, Ark.

Except for one thing.

The "victim," then 17, was Clinton's cousin and her father was the biggest
single contributor to Clinton's race for governor.

Sound familiar?  Both as governor and president, Clinton refused to hear
about a pardon.  Then something funny happened.

His crooked associate, Gov.  Jim Guy Tucker, got indicted and Republican
Mike Huckabee was installed.

And something else happened in 1996.  We found out after years of probing,
who the so-called victim was - and about her relationship to Clinton.

Gov.  Huckabee told me: "There is grave doubt to the circumstances of this
reported crime."

In 1999, Wayne Dumond was released, saying he wanted to be bitter but just
couldn't get there.

Twelve years in jail for a crime he did not commit, castrated, framed and
denied any process by a Gov.  Clinton and a President Clinton and he
couldn't get bitter.

If that had happened to me, you would need the 82nd Airborne to make sure I
wouldn't do damage.

Emmet George, of the Arkansas Democrat Gazette, who covered this along with
me, said simply yesterday: "I'm not quite sure whether certain parts of
this state were operating in the last century when this happened."

And we worry about Rich?

Dumond greeted his wife, Dusty, who I knew really well, when he got out of
prison.  She had stuck by him through and through.

"Thank you, thank you," she told me many times.

She couldn't say it last night because nine months after her husband's
release, she was killed in a car accident.

I had forgotten all about it until a producer friend of mine, Dick
McWilliams, called me at 8 a.m.  yesterday and said: "You know who Clinton
didn't pardon?  Wayne Dumond." And just thinking about the story I cringed
at the memory and the presence of Clinton.  Wayne now lives in Missouri,
bordering Clinton's home state of Arkansas - which has now stripped the
former president of his law license as he strips the White House of Q-tips
and soap.

Rich?  The pardon for Rich?  Nothing compared to the agony of Wayne Dumond.

                      Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

          FROM THE DESK OF:

                    *Michael Spitzer*    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>