Frank sex talk?   What about all this garbage on television these days -
and we have Rosie, and Ellen and now Paula Poundstone who will not enter
a state unless she reads the sodomy laws first.

>From where does all this disease come?    And why should decent children
have to be exposed to this garbage in our schools and told now someday
it will be proper for homosexuals and/or lesbians to shove into
organizations where they simply are not wanted?

Seems the biggest problem in this country is HIV/AIDS, and of course the
numerous sexually transmitted diseases - strange when I was in high
school this type of stuff was not so , well let us use the word popular.

As us white people used to say, we never locked our doors at
night........wonder why things are so different now?

Saba

Surgeon general urges frank sex talk
Government report
a 'call to action'U.S. Surgeon General David Satcher discusses the
report with MSNBC's Diane Dimond.
MSNBC STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS
June 28 —   Pointing to "alarmingly high levels" of sexually
transmitted diseases, unintended pregnancies, abortions and sexual
violence in the United States, Surgeon General David Satcher called on
parents, schools and community leaders Thursday to get past their
nervousness about sex so they can do a better job of educating the
nation's youths.

 Post your views on MSNBC's Health Bulletin Board

      Sex education begins with parents, the report says, but
schools play an important role because some parents are unable to give
their children all the information they need.
       IN A FAR-REACHING report that touches on issues ranging
from teen sex to gays' mental health, Satcher called for "beginning a
mature, thoughtful and respectful discussion" nationwide about
sexuality.
       Given the diversity of attitudes, beliefs, values and
opinions, "Finding common ground might not be easy," the report
acknowledged, "but it is possible."
       The only course that is not acceptable, Satcher added, is
inaction.
       "We've known we've had a problem for a long time — it's
time we admit we have a problem and do something about it," former
Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders told MSNBC.
       "Our efforts not only will have an impact on the current
health status of our citizens, but will lay a foundation for a healthier
society in the future," the report concludes.
       The "call to action" is only a first step, Satcher said
— one of confronting the issue. Two years in the making, the report
begins by detailing the problem: 12 million Americans infected by
sexually transmitted diseases each year, with some 40,000 new HIV
infections; more than 100,000 children victimized by sexual abuse
annually; and nearly 1.4 million abortions in a year, with nearly half
of all pregnancies unwanted. An estimated 800,000 to 900,000 Americans
are now living with HIV. More than one in five women have been victims
of rape.
        It also touches on some of the most contentious sexual
issues, calling on Americans to respect "the diversity of sexual values
within any community."
       It says there is no valid scientific evidence that one's
sexual orientation can be changed and details the consequences of
harassment on the mental health of gays and lesbians.
       "We have a responsibility to be more supportive and
proactive than judgmental," Satcher said. "We're certainly not trying to
get anyone in any religious group to change their views. We're just
saying these are people, these are human beings."
        Teens and sex•Thirty-nine percent of ninth-graders and
65 percent of twelfth-graders have engaged in intercourse.•Just over 8
percent of high-school students in 1999 said they'd had sex by age
13.•One in four sexually active teen-agers will contract at least one
STD. •Four in 10 girls become pregnant at least once before they reach
the age of 20 -- nearly 1 million a year.•Just 25 percent of sexually
experienced 15-to-17-years olds had ever been tested for HIV in 1998; 29
percent for other STDs.•Fifty-eight percent of sexually active
high-schoolers reported using a condom the last time they had
sex.•Three out of five Americans living with HIV were infected as
teens.•Gonorrhea rose 13 percent among teens between 1997 and 1999,
with teen-age girls having the highest rates of any females.•An
estimated 3 million people contract chlamydia each year in United
States; 40 percent of cases occur in 15-to-19-year-olds.Sources: CDC;
Kaiser Family Foundation; National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy
       Sexuality education must be wide-ranging, begin early and
be available throughout one's life, the report says. It recommends that
sex-education programs discuss the benefits of abstinence from sex —
but also explain how to prevent unwanted pregnancies and sexually
transmitted diseases. It recommends improving access to reproductive
health care services for "all persons in all communities."

       Abstinence is the only certain way to prevent pregnancy
and the spread of disease, the report says, and even properly used
condoms do not prevent the spread of all sexually transmitted diseases.
But the report finds no evidence that "abstinence-only" programs are
effective, saying more research is needed.
       These programs, which bar any talk of contraception,
enjoy the support of many conservatives, including President Bush, who
has pledged to raise federal funding for them.
        Tips for sexually active teens•Sexually active
teen-agers should be tested annually for HIV, chlamydia and gonorrhea
(more often if they're changing sexual partners frequently or having sex
without condoms.)•Girls engaging in sexual activity should get annual
Pap smears to ensure that they're not experiencing cervical cell changes
from HPV, which, if left untreated, could eventually lead to cervical
cancer.•Adolescents should use a condom for all sexual encounters, but
recognize that even then, sex is not risk-free. For example, HPV and
herpes can be spread despite condom use if the carrier is shedding virus
from parts of the genital region not covered by the condom.Sources: Dr.
Penelope Hitchcock and Kathleen Ethier The Institute for Youth
Development, a group that promotes "risk avoidance," immediately issued
a statement stating that the report "would represent a much stronger
contribution to the public health had it clearly made the medical case
for one uninfected lifetime partner as the best and only way for an
individual to avoid the risk for contracting a STD."
       Satcher said he was not taking sides in the debate.
"Those are political decisions," he said. "We try to make very clear
what's needed to improve sexual health and what's supported by the
science."
       Another difference with conservatives: His report
encourages abstinence from sex until one is involved in a "committed,
enduring and mutually monogamous relationship." Federal abstinence
programs call for abstinence until marriage.
       "I have to deal with reality," Satcher said when asked
about the difference.
       Sex education begins with parents, the report says, but
schools play an important role because some parents are unable to give
their children all the information they need.
       "Parents sometimes need help. There are so many parents
who are unprepared or uncomfortable discussing it," Satcher said.
"Schools have always been the great equalizers."
       Elders agreed. "Schools are the only institution we have
where all children go. We have to use the only institution we've got to
educate our children about their sexuality."

OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS
       "The Surgeon General's Call to Action to Promote Sexual
Health and Responsible Behavior" cited three fundamental strategies —
increasing awareness, implementing interventions and expanding research
— for promoting sexual health. Among its specific recommendations:
 Providing adequate training in sexual health for health care
professionals who deal with these issues.
 Improving access to sexual health and reproductive health care
services.
 Ensuring that programs that aim to prevent sexual abuse are available.
 Encouraging stable and committed adult relationships, particularly
marriage, to help strengthen families.
 Increasing scientific research on sexual health, including the entire
life span, from childhood to old age.
 Developing and disseminating educational materials for sex-ed classes
that cover the "full continuum of human sexual development" for use by
parents, clergy, teachers and others.

       The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Write a letter to the Editor
 Voice your views on the news
Your e-mail address will not be published

Your name
Your hometown
Your e-mail address

 Frank dialogue urged on sex ed Tighter blood-donor rules
backed Sexploration: Pacing a relationship Jogging builds better
bones in men, study finds Cranberries take burn out of
cystitis MSNBC Cover Page
 MSNBC's Health Library
 Return to Health front page
 MSN Health

 MSNBC VIEWER'S TOP 10  Would you recommend this story to other
viewers?
not at all   1    -   2  -   3  -
  4  -   5  -   6  -   7   highly

 MSNBC is optimized for
• Microsoft Internet Explorer
• Windows Media Player
• MSNBC Terms, Conditions and Privacy © 2001

Cover | News | Business | Sports | Local News | Health | Technology |
Living & Travel
TV News | Opinions | Weather | ComicsInformation Center | Help | News
Tools | Write Us | Terms & Conditions & Privacy

Dr. Scholl's Pedicure Essentials
One Sale - Save 44%!
$8.99 Sale $4.99
drugstore.com