(http://news.excite.com:80/news/ap/010628/12/news-britain-gay-marriages) =

News Article: London to Recognize Same-SexUnions

LONDON (AP) - London's city government will officially recognize same-sex relationships and offer ceremonies that resemble weddings, the mayor announced Thursday.

The London Partnerships Register, to be launched in September, will make the Greater London Authority the first public organization in Britain to offer recognition to same-sexcouples.

Mayor Ken Livingstone called the move a "step on the road to equality," adding he hoped other cities and organizations would followsuit.

"Clearly we still have some way to go, but I believe that the London Partnership Register is a great start," Livingstonesaid.

The Church of England is opposed to gay marriages. Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey declared in April that gay unions would "muddy the waters" of traditionalmarriage.

The city register will not confer the same legal rights as marriage, the mayor said, but it is expected to prove the existence of an intimaterelationship if there is a subsequent legal dispute concerning issues such as tenancy, pensions and immigrationrights.

The ceremonies, presided over by a city official, are to be held at the visitors' center of the Greater London Authority two days a week. Couples will be allowed to invite up to 25 guests.