-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

* Veritas Vos Liberabit *
THE FEDERALIST(r) DIGEST
The Conservative e-Journal of Record

Federalist #01-26.dgst

Retrieve today's Digest as HTML printer-friendly text or PDF -- it's
much easier reading than e-mail text!
Link to: http://www.Federalist.com/current2001.asp

To purchase a book from the Patriot's Library,
link to -- http://www.federalist.com/books.asp

To support or sponsor The Federalist,
link to -- http://www.Federalist.com/support.asp

CONTENTS:
The Founders
Federalist Perspective
Insight
Upright
Editorial Exegesis
Dezinformatsia
Leftovers
Village Idiots
Short Cuts

______--------********O********--------______
THE FOUNDERS

"A republic ... if you can keep it." --Benjamin Franklin

______--------********O********--------______
FEDERALIST PERSPECTIVE

The BIG news this week, Reagan Republicanism comes roaring back!
(Quisling RINOs, beware!) In a stunning demonstration that even the
Garden State of New Jersey is not a lost cause for The Federalist's
brand of principled constitutional conservatism, Jersey City Mayor
Bret Schundler won Tuesday's Republican gubernatorial primary there,
besting the GOP establishment's handpicked and heavily protected
candidate, former U.S. congressman Bob Franks. Schundler, an outspoken
social and fiscal conservative, collected 57% of the vote -- AKA
"landslide."

In 1996, Mr. Schundler became Jersey City's first GOP mayor in 75
years and has been re-elected twice, even though only 6% of Jersey
City voters are registered Republicans and 68% of registered voters
are racial minorities. In the 2000 election, Mr. Schundler won  64% in
the city's most Hispanic voting district and 45% in the district with
most black voters.

He won those elections on conservative themes, the same ideas he
expressed in his victory speech Tuesday night: "We have a moral
responsibility to get taxes down ... to give you the tax relief you
deserve. We need to do better for our children across the state. Every
human life has dignity. Every human life has value....We will fight
the special interests. And we will win!"

Schundler will next face Democratic nominee Jim McGreevey for the
November election. Of that challenge the Wall Street Journal notes:
"In 1966, Democrats in California desperately wanted a 55-year-old
actor named Ronald Reagan to win the GOP primary for governor. They
got their wish, but Mr. Reagan connected with voters and the rest is
history. Mr. Schundler has already won over Jersey City voters three
times. He is running as a reform conservative, and his big victory
shows the voters are interested. Don't be surprised if he confounds
the experts yet again."

McGreevey wasted no time launching his campaign: "Carrying a concealed
weapon is not a new idea, it's a bad idea. Taking money from public
schools is not a new idea, it's a bad idea. Preventing abortions...is
not a new idea, it's a bad idea."

Quote of the week...

"President Bush, the Congress and state legislators handing over more
money to the education establishment will do nothing to end America's
education rot. More money will simply spread it. As to teacher
training, what's needed is for teachers to have degrees in the subject
they teach and maybe a class or two in pedagogy. For this, schools of
education are surely not needed." --Walter Williams

On cross-examination...

"Let us, for a moment, take the sex-education pushers at their word:
If you teach a child how to use a condom, you're promoting safety --
not usage. ...Why, then, doesn't the same logic apply to guns?"
--Michelle Malkin

Open query...

"Do the Communist Chinese have to murder American personnel or attack
the United States or our allies with their missiles before those who
blithesomely pontificate about the civilizing benefits of building the
Chinese economy will admit that China for a decade has been going in
the opposite direction than predicted by the so-called 'free
traders'." --Rep. Dana Rohrabacher

News from the swamp...

In the Executive Branch, world-renowned climatologist Dr. Fred Singer
praised President George Bush's decision to reject the Kyoto Protocol
on global warming, despite protests from some Europeans and
environmental groups. "It is a victory for the American people arrived
at after a considerable amount of debate within the Bush cabinet,"
said Singer.

In the House of Lords, as predicted, the Senate Judiciary Committee,
now in the hands of Sociocrats Charles Schumer and Leahy, Kennedy,
Feinstein, and Durbin, convened a hearing to discuss the question,
"Does Ideology Matter?" Schumer says that the Senate is justified in
opposing Bush nominees "whose views fall outside the mainstream."  In
other words, Schumer wants his Senate committee to have the authority
to exclude any nominee who does not share his worldview from a vote in
the full Senate.

As legal scholar Thomas Jipping says, "Demanding to know how a judge
will rule on issues is demanding that he violate his judicial oath
before even taking it...."

In other news from the Left, Demo Sen. Zell "Zig-Zag" Miller told his
colleagues what they must do to win elections in the "New South."
"Unlike our GOP opponents," says Miller, "we have to prove that we
will not raise taxes, let all of the crooks out of prison, pour the
public's money down a variety of rat holes, double everybody's welfare
check, condone the burning of the American flag, let serial
ax-murderers escape the electric chair, confiscate everybody's guns
and take down the Christmas tree at city hall."

Memo to Zell: You just wrote off the entire Demo platform.

In the people's legislature, the House voted 242 to 173 to ban new
leases for gas, oil and coal extraction on public lands with "national
monument" status. Making matters worse, they then voted 247 to 164 to
block the Interior Department from signing leases for oil and gas
exploration in the eastern Gulf of Mexico.

Both House and Senate Republicans continue to complain about certain
aspects of pending education and health care legislation. Only a
handful of them have mentioned that nowhere does our Constitution
authorize any of this folly.

Of course, the U.S. Constitution -- the same one so many of those
Beltway stuffed shirts and empty suits are sworn to uphold -- does not
authorize 80% of the central government's current activities -- except
as the Leftjudiciary has interpreted such authority. But then, the
Founders explicitly refuted any authority for the judiciary to
"interpret" the Constitution. (Is anyone paying attention out there?)

Memo to all concerned: "The powers delegated by the proposed
Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those
which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and
indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external
objects, as war, peace, negotiation and foreign commerce. ... The
powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects
which in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives and
liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order,
improvement and prosperity of the State." --James Madison, author of
our Constitution, in Federalist Paper No. 45

Speaking of "health care," here is a quote from Teddy Kennedy on HMOs
in March of 1978: "As the author of the first HMO bill to ever pass
the Senate, I find this spreading support for HMOs truly gratifying."
Here is what Uncle Teddy had to say about HMOs last month: "It is time
to end the abuses of managed care that victimize thousands of patients
each day. It is time for doctors and nurses and patients to make
medical decisions again, not insurance company accountants."

And, speaking of victims, Teddy has a new Portuguese water dog. He
named it "Splash." Apparently "Chappaquiddick" was too hard to say
after the Kennedy cocktail hour.

The Sociocrats...

Just in time for the 4th, Sen. Jim Jeffords has a new book entitled,
"My Declaration of Independence." His publisher, David Rosenthal,
declares, "Senator Jeffords's decision [to defect] constitutes one of
the great acts of courage in political history."

Memo to Jim: We think the original Declaration of Independence is
sufficient, and the acts of its signers a bit more courageous!

Judicial Benchmarks...

In the halls of justice on the right, a federal appeals court
unanimously reversed U.S. District Court Judge Thomas Penfield
Jackson's order that Microsoft be divvied up, saying Jackson was
guilty of "serious judicial misconduct" while hearing the antitrust
case. House Majority Leader Dick Armey commented: "I applaud today's
ruling because it's good for American competitiveness. It sends the
message that innovation in America will be rewarded, not punished.
..Government needs to get off the back of our innovators so that high
tech America can prosper."

>From the Supremes, a ruling that the state of New Jersey may prohibit
elementary schoolchild Zachary Hood from reading a "favorite story" to
his class from "The Beginner's Bible."  In this case, the Supremes had
the authority to rule, as the child's constitutionally guaranteed
First Amendment rights were infringed. Unfortunately, they denied his
right to the same expression of free speech assured to his classmates.

"If [Zachary's selection] had been about, say, Bruce and Ralph, it
would have aroused no objections," notes George Will.

In other news from the Supremes, almost three decades after the 1973
Supreme Court decision legalizing abortion in all states, the original
plaintiff in Roe v. Wade, Norma McCorvey, is asking a federal court to
rehear her case. "My case was wrongfully decided and has caused great
harm to the women and children of our nation," said Ms. McCorvey, AKA
"Jane Roe." McCorvey and Sandra Cano (of the Roe companion case Doe v.
Bolton) have filed a friend-of-the-court brief in the federal 3rd
Circuit Court of Appeals in connection with a class action lawsuit
against abortion providers.

In an open letter, Ms. McCorvey says: "I owe you an apology. I said I
was gang raped. And I wasn't. I said I didn't know who the father of
my baby was. And I did. I said I wanted someone to kill my baby. And
what I really wanted was someone to help me. It was a nasty,
bald-faced lie. And I knew it. For years abortion was my life. But the
day-to-day stress of helping kill babies was eating away at my soul."

Columnist Kathleen Parker responds: "There's something irresistible
about truth and saying: We're sorry. We were wrong. ... We are all
responsible [for abortion] inasmuch as we -- our society, culture,
nation, our courts -- have said that abortion is OK."

The Commissars...

Getting it right! Last week, we commented on the highly political
findings of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights regarding Florida
voting irregularities in Bush v. Gore. Two commissioners, Abigail
Thernstrom and Russell G. Redenbaugh (Thernstrom the only Republican
on the commission), released their 57 page rebuttal to the original
USCCR report. It can be summarized in two sentences: "The Commission
has written a dangerous and divisive document. It certainly provides
no basis upon which to reform the electoral process in Florida or
anywhere else."

>From the department of military readiness...

Now that Mr. Bush has shelved his "help is on the way" promise to
restore our military might, Citizens Against Government Waste notes
that since our 1991 victory in the Persian Gulf, there are a few
glaring examples of decay in our military force readiness. The Army's
force has been cut in half, and only 40% of its helicopter fleet are
mission ready. Last year, the Navy had a recruiting shortfall of more
than 18,000. The Air Force is projecting it will be 2,000 pilots short
by next year. And nearly 12,000 military personnel are on food stamps.

>From the states...

Utah's Department of Human Services ruled that Mr. Ryan King cannot
become a foster parent because he has a concealed-weapon permit.
According to the Salt Lake Tribune: "Administrative hearing officer
Mary Rudolph wrote in her January decision that King 'argues he has a
constitutional right to carry a concealed weapon and be a foster
parent.'  To be licensed to be a foster parent is a privilege. Even if
[King] now were to agree to comply with the rule [to give up his
firearm], he would not be credible because of his insistence."

>From the state of Missouri, the Benetton clothing company, which ran
an ad campaign sympathizing with death row murderers, settled a
lawsuit filed by the state and agreed to apologize and donate $50,000
to the Missouri Crime Victims Compensation Fund. Apparently Benetton
operatives posed as officials from the National Association of
Criminal Defense Lawyers, and convinced Missouri correctional
officials to allow them to interview death row inmates. Benetton then
posted those interviews on their Web site. The company pulled the same
con in Kentucky, Nebraska, North Carolina, and Oregon, all of which
are considering similar charges against Benetton.

And of interest to, well, surely somebody, the Greater North Dakota
Chamber of Commerce is backing a proposal to drop "North" from the
state's name. The Associated Press reports, "Supporters insist the
plan would help alter the state's image as a frigid, treeless
prairie." National Review Online responds, "If that doesn't work,
maybe they can try "Equatorial Dakota."

Hey, aren't all "Dakotans" like those guys in the movie "Fargo"? Our
editor out there certainly meets that description.

The "Dumb and Dumber" Department...

>From the "Constitutional Scholar -- NOT!" Department, Mr. Dennis
Henigan of Handgun Control, Inc., needs some very elementary
assistance in understanding our nation's guiding document. Recently,
Attorney General John Ashcroft said, "Just as the First and Fourth
Amendment secure individual rights of speech and security
respectively, the Second Amendment protects an individual right to
keep and bear arms." To which, Mr. Henigan replied, "It is astonishing
that our nation's chief law enforcement officer would have such a
grossly misinformed position on a fundamental constitutional issue."

Gun control commissars are furious that Mr. Ashcroft has proposed that
the FBI dispose of guns purchase records within 24 hours of a sale
rather than maintaining that data for 180 days. Of course, if gun
registration information passes through central government computers
for a nanosecond, only the most nescient gun owner would assume it is
not permanently stored in some black hole.

Memo to Mr. Henigan: As we approach Independence Day, perhaps we
should check in with Thomas Jefferson, the author of that old
Declaration, on the subject of the Second Amendment. He stated
clearly, "No free man shall ever be debarred from the use of arms."
Still having trouble with the concept, Mr. Henigan? James Madison, the
author of that old Constitution, appointed Justice Joseph Story to his
Supreme Court. Justice Story said of the Second Amendment, "The right
of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as
the palladium of the liberties of the Republic; since it offers a
strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of
rulers...."  But then, perhaps Jefferson, Madison and Story were just
"grossly misinformed."

Court Jesters...

>From the "Department of Injustice," Columbus, Ohio, police have
arrested Charles Spignola and Thomas Meyer, and charged them with
"open burning, a first-degree misdemeanor punishable by up to six
months in jail," according to the Columbus Dispatch. The perpetrators
burned a "gay-pride" flag in protest against the Columbus Pride Parade
last weekend. "It's legal to burn the American flag," complained
Spignola's wife. "We thought it's OK to burn the queer flag."

Memo to Ms. Spignola: The First Amendment, as interpreted by the
courts, only guarantees "PC" speech -- not "free" speech.

In economic news...

The Federal Reserve cut interest rates another 1/4 point, putting the
fed funds target rate at 3.75%, a seven-year low. Somebody please wake
us when it's all over!

In business news...

Jumping into the stem cell research debate, Daniel Richard, CEO of
Cryo-Cell International, says lawmakers are ignoring umbilical cord
blood as an alternative source for stem cells. "The stem cells I'm
talking about are the umbilical cord blood stem cells," says Mr.
Richard. "3.9 million of them that are thrown away in the hospital
bio-waste bins every year after the birth of the child.  There are
four million babies born [every year], and 3.99 million of the cords
end up as bio-waste material."