-Caveat Lector-

'I Was Told To Blow-up Blair', Yugoslav General Claims
>From Ananova
Sunday July 1, 2001 10:52 am
The Yugoslav army's chief of staff claims he was ordered to assassinate Tony
Blair in Macedonia in 1999.
General Nebojsa Pavkovic said the orders came from "the top" - an apparent
reference to Slobodan Milosevic.
The commander says he was under pressure to blow up Mr Blair's helicopter at
Petrovac airport in Skopje. He didn't do it because he feared civilian
casualties, loss of support from Macedonia and being charged with war
crimes.
Cherie Blair was with her husband on the helicopter at the time, along with
chief of defence staff Sir Charles Guthrie and press secretary Alastair
Campbell.
The attack was to be carried out using a multiple rocket launcher system
capable of firing 288 bomblets at a time from bases in Kosovo at the airport
in Macedonia.
Mr Pavkovic, who is married to a cousin of Mr Milosevic's wife, Mira, said:
"We had the possibility to do it and we had the political decision to strike
at the airport when Blair was coming. We knew from our intelligence sources
when he was coming.
"I was under pressure to do it since Nato was destroying Yugoslavia. But
since I did not have the precise possibility of monitoring the airport, my
main worry was massive civilian casualties."
Mr Pavkovic is reported by The Sunday Times to have made the claims to two
journalists, Dejan Lukic and Pero Simic, who plan to produce a book called
Milosevic - Rise and Fall.
According to the newspaper, Nato officials and British intelligence sources
had no information at the time about the planned attack, but now consider it
to have been plausible.