-Caveat Lector-

Hello COCL! Here is the final draft of the letter to Armey, Thanks to all
the signers! If there are any more signers, please email me
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  by tomorrow
morning at 10:00 and let me know. Also, if there are any mistakes on the
information below, like titles that are missing, again, please let me know.
Thanks to those of you who sent in advice and wanted to add information, we
did change it. The final letter will be sent to Armey's office tomorrow
afternoon, so please make sure to get all comments, changes, additions, and
additional information is sent to me by 10:00 in the morning. Our server has
been getting work done on it, so I apologize if anyone received COCL updates
more than once. The problem is fixed now! Thanks! -Hannah

> The Honorable Richard K. Armey
> Office of the Majority Leader
> U.S. Capitol H327A
> Washington, D.C. 20515
        >
> July 3, 2001
        >
> Dear Mr. Armey,

Thank you for your continued leadership and example on protecting the
personal privacy of Americans.  As members of organizations committed to
protecting privacy, we support your efforts to ensure that our
Constitutional rights and liberties are protected.

As you know, many federal government policies are fraught with privacy
abuses. We commend your leadership on these issues such as Carnivore
(DSC1000), FIDNet, Know Your Customer, thermal imaging, surveillance
cameras, civil asset forfeiture, etc.  The following organizations support
your efforts in continuing to expose and resolve some of these government
abuses of privacy.  The recent decision from the Supreme Court regarding the
use of thermal imaging plays a vital role in the equation, as privacy may be
violated in the name of the drug war.

Too often, government abuses of privacy can cause, directly or indirectly,
corporate or other private sector abuses of Americans' privacy.  These
privacy abuses need to be closely watched because of the negative
ramifications they have on the personal lives of our fellow Americans.  We
appreciate your leadership against the federal medical privacy rule and the
unique patient identifier. These issues illustrate some of the problems with
the intersection of government and private sector privacy violations.

As we approach our celebrations for our nation's Independence, we are
reminded of our country's leaders who fight to defend our rights.  This
fight is a noble one, and we recognize your leadership in this never-ending
struggle.  With changes in technology affecting our lives at such a rapid
pace, we are pleased to have someone who understands its potential problems
and is willing to take a stand to address them to the protection of our
Constitutional liberties.

Respectfully,

Paul M. Weyrich
National Chairman
Coalition for America

Lisa S. Dean
Vice President for Technology Policy
Free Congress Foundation

Chris Hoofnagle
Legislative Counsel
Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC)

Congressman Bob Schaffer
Fourth District of Colorado
U.S. House of Representatives

Christian Josi
Executive Director
American Conservative Union

Twila Brase, R.N.
President
Citizens' Council on Health Care

Jim Harper
Editor
Privacilla.org

Richard W. Rahn
Senior Fellow
Discovery Institute

Evan Hendricks
Editor/Publisher
Privacy Times

George C. Landrith
Executive Director
Frontiers of Freedom

Senator Malcolm Wallop (ret.)
Chairman
Frontiers of Freedom

Dr. Jane Orient, MD
Executive Director
Association of American Physicians & Surgeons

James Landrith
Editor & Publisher
The Multiracial Activist and The Abolitionist Examiner

J. Peyton Knight
American Policy Center

Adrian Day
President