-Caveat Lector-

Tito Hammond wrote:

> -Caveat Lector-
>
> Did You Know That…
>
> •  Americans use guns in self-defense up to 3.6 million times each year?

This is good.

> •  In 98 percent of those cases, the criminal flees at the mere sight of the
> gun?

This is great.

> • The criminal succeeds in taking the gun from his intended victim in only
> one percent of those cases?

That's 36,000 people.

> •  Studies have shown that the more guns honest citizens own, the lower the
> crime rate – with violent crime dropping about 4 percent for each 1 percent
> rise in gun ownership?

Who is an " honest citizen?" And who gets to make that judgment? No one.
Instead, guns are available to all. Honest or not.

> • The most dramatic reductions in crime have occurred in states passing laws
> that allow honest citizens to carry concealed weapons?

Maybe yes, maybe no.

> • You are far more likely to get mugged, raped, burglarized or shot in
> America’s big cities today – where gun laws are strict – than on the old
> western frontier, where virtually everyone carried a gun?

This is pure bullshit. It has nothing to do with gun laws and everything to
do with population and density.

> • During the frontier era, the combined murder rate in Dodge City, Abilene,
> Ellsworth, Wichita, and Caldwell – all wide-open cattle towns – was less
> than two murders per year for all five towns combined?

So?

> • Violent crime today is concentrated overwhelmingly among inner-city
> minorities – with African-Americans committing murder at 8 times the rate of
> whites?

So everyone should be allowed to own guns but Blacks?

> • The rate of gun murders among white U.S. teenagers is roughly the same as
> among teenagers in Canada?
>
> • The most heavily armed nation in the world, per capita, is Switzerland?
>
> • Switzerland also has one of the lowest crime rates in the world?

Americans are not sane and civilized and cohesive as are the Swiss. You are
comparing apples and oranges.

> • England and Australia both experienced dramatic increases in violent crime
> after confiscating guns from honest citizens?

That was stupid. They should have confiscated the guns from the dishonest
citizen too. Duh!

> • Australia and England were ranked the first and second worst countries in
> the industrialized world – in that order – in terms of violent crime,
> according to the February 2001 International Crime Victims Survey, released
> by Leiden University in Holland?
>
> • The United States did not even make the top 10 list of Leiden University’s
> International Crime Victims Survey?

Ergo, the US doesn't have a crime/gun problem.

> Of course you didn’t know these things. How could you?

I knew these things.

> A recent study by the Media Research Center shows that television news
> stories calling for stricter gun laws outnumber those opposing such laws by a
> ratio of ten to one. When it comes to guns and gun laws, we are hearing only
> one side of the story.
>
> To hear the other side, read The Seven Myths of Gun Control by Richard Poe.

If it's more bullshit like this...
No thanks.

J2