-Caveat Lector-

Bradford under siege after day of race riots

A day of racial tensions turned into a night of fierce rioting between young
Asians, police and right-wing extremists

Paul Harris in Bradford
Sunday July 8, 2001
The Observer

Racial violence erupted on the streets of Bradford yesterday and was
continuing early this morning as hundreds of Asian youths fought police in
some of the worst rioting seen this summer.
Two people were stabbed and 80 police officers injured after a protest march
against the National Front turned violent. Police were attacked with
baseball bats and hammers and pelted with petrol bombs, bricks, bottles and
road signs. Two police horses were also injured including one which was
stabbed.
Last night across the city, cars and buildings were set alight as a mob of
more than 1,000 Asian youths fought pitched battles with hundreds of riot
police. Officers struggled to contain the worst of the violence concentrated
in the mainly Asian Manningham suburb where dozens of burning barricades
littered the streets.
The rioting marked a serious escalation of tension that has been growing in
towns including Bradford, Oldham, Burnley and Accrington over the past three
months. Many have blamed the trouble on the National Front and the British
National Party for fomenting racial divisions in deprived communities.
As the violence raged out of control, the Archbishop of Bradford, the Right
Reverend David Smith, went on to the streets of Manningham and made an
emotional appeal for calm. 'I'm very disappointed obviously and very
distressed... We all feared that Bradford would join the list of towns and
cities where trouble flared and sadly now it has.'
Yesterday's trouble flared after a meeting in Bradford's Centenary Square
organised by the Anti-Nazi League. The event drew more than 500 people,
mainly young Asian men.
In a nearby pub, National Front supporters, wearing their trademark bomber
jackets and sunglasses, had gathered and began shouting racial abuse. The
response of the Asian youths was instant and violent. A fight began and
within seconds had spilled into the surrounding streets.
Officers had mounted the huge security operation after reports that NF
members had congregrated in the pub. Last week, the group was banned by Home
Secretary David Blunkett from staging a march in Bradford.
Last month The Observer revealed that the NF and other violent extremist
groups were still planning violence in the city.
In Manningham, residents watched in horror as the violence raged. A group of
about 1,000 Asian youths set fire to barricades on the area's White Abbey
Road and tore up bricks and paving stones to hurl at the police.
Thick smoke and fumes drifted down a half-mile length of the road as police
tried to beat the rioters back. Youths set fire to several cars and threw
petrol bombs at buildings, briefly setting the roof of one alight. As
mounted police in full riot gear charged the youths gathered behind a
burning wreck.
Fire engines advanced to tackle the blazes behind a tight cordon of police,
but were forced to retreat several times under a hail of stones and bricks.
Shortly after 9pm a delegation of community leaders, including local Tory
councillor Mohammed Riaz, went through police lines to talk to rioters.
Their efforts had little effect.
'I cannot believe these scenes are taking place in a city in England,' said
Riaz. 'How have the police allowed a peaceful demonstration to disintegrate
into to this?' As rioters continued to torch vehicles and stone police lines
several officers were injured by projectiles. One policeman was dragged away
unconscious by colleagues. Earlier, in Thornton Road, I watched as a white
man was set upon by a gang and stabbed in the back.
As he toppled over his torn T-shirt exposed a gaping wound; the knife had
gouged a huge hole in his back, but the mob still kicked him before mounted
police rescued him.
At one stage a pregnant woman was led away by police after getting caught up
in the violence. Mother-of-two Linda Cunliffe, who was out shopping, said:
'The situation seemed calm one minute and there was no sign of any National
Front people but suddenly the Asian youths began running and stones started
being thrown.'
Police last night denied claims of being 'heavy-handed' during the clashes.
Chief Superintendent Phil Read, of West Yorkshire Police said 18 people - 10
white men, a white woman and seven Asians - had been arrested. Read said
some of the incidents were clearly racially motivated and revealed that
inquiry teams were now investigating them. Six members of the public were
injured. He said: 'What we are seeing is wanton violence which is putting
lives at risks. There can be no excuse for this criminal behaviour.'
As the violence continued into the night, local people in Manningham also
blamed outsiders. Naveed Butt, 31, said: 'There are just a handful of people
from Bradford involved. A lot of lads here have been looking for any excuse
to cause trouble. The local people are just standing on the streets shocked
and bewildered. They are burning our businesses and our cars.'
Wiping away tears, he added: 'What they're doing is totally out of order. It
reflects badly on every Pakistani - not just in Bradford but the whole of
Britain.'
Farouq Amin, 30, said: 'We cannot believe what has happened. The hooligans
have been stealing cars and setting them alight but these cars belong to
Asian people and they're hurting their own. It will take us years to
recover.'
MPs and race campaigners last night demanded an inquiry into the violence.
Gerry Sutcliffe, Labour MP for Bradford South, said: 'Police knew where [the
Far Right groups] were coming. I am not convinced we did all that we could
to stop them getting into the city centre.
'We have all the laws we need [to deal with this sort of incitement], the
police just need to recognise that whenever these Far Right groups appear
they will incite racial tension - which is an offence.'
A spokesman for the Commission for Racial Equality said last night: 'We
would urge everybody to stand back and keep calm. There is racist violence
in town after town every night and usually this gets little publicity. Now
that there is publicity we need to lead a constructive response.
'This has to be from a governmental level, from the police and from within
the ethnic comunities. We need to put into practice whatever measures are
necessary to stop this happening in other communities.'
. A 20-year-old man was last night charged with racially-motivated firebomb
attacks in Accrington, Lancashire, ten days ago. Rajab Ali was arrested in
connection with an attack on a car and a school. He will appear in court
tomorrow.
Additional reporting: Nick Paton Walsh