IRISH NEWS ROUND-UP
    http://irlnet.com/rmlist/

    Friday-Sunday, 6-8 July, 2001

1.  DRUMCREE PARADE PASSES QUIETLY
2.  Critical talks begin at new venue
3.  Pipe and petrol bomb attacks
4.  Parade anger lingers on Springfield road
5.  Opinion poll ban opposed
6.  Joe McDonnell anniversary marked
7.  Women's delegations visits South Armagh
8.  50 new British nuclear power stations possible
9.  Feature: West Papuans hopeful of independence
10. Analysis: Adams on arms

 The Orange Order parade to Drumcree in Portadown passed off
 relatively peacefully yesterday as Orangemen marched up to a
 giant green steel barrier on Drumcree Hill in a re-run of last
 year's stand-off.

 The Orangemen's preferred route through the nationalist Garvaghy
 Road was blocked after they failed to engage in dialogue with
 Catholic residents.  The residents oppose what they see as a
 coat-trailing, triumphalist parade through their area.

 After the now traditional protest at the barricade, local Orange
 Grand Master Harold Gracey made a relatively low-key speech in
 which he vowed to continue his weekly protests on the hill, and
 urged supporters to join him.   But absent was the appeal for
 widespread loyalist disorder which marked his infamous tirade
 last year.

 A huge military operation in Portadown at the weekend saw 1,600
 British troops drafted in to keep loyalists from forcing their
 way into the Garvaghy Road. Razor-wire and a water-filled trench
 kept loyalists from circumventing the barricade which has blocked
 their contentious route through the Catholic enclave for a fourth
 year.

 But loyalist numbers were considerably down on previous years and
 only token efforts were made to surmount the obstacles. A
 demonstration by supporters of jailed paramilitary Johnny Adair
 on Thursday had raised fears of loyalist violence.

 Portadown district spokesman David Jones said the next few days
 leading to the twelfth were "crucial".

 "There has never been violence at Drumcree on any of the Sundays.
 We would ask people who are coming to our protest over the next
 few days to respect our wishes for it to be peaceful."

 Nationalist representatives welcomed the calls for protests to be
 peaceful, but remained concerned by the number of leading
 loyalist paramilitaries around the Garvaghy Road.

 A sense of siege remains, and residents spokesman Breandan Mac
 Cionnaith warned of possible trouble in the run up to the twelfth
 of July, the high point of the marching calendar.

 "We don't know if they (loyalist paramilitaries) will be
 launching attacks against the Catholic communities in the coming
 days before the twelfth," he said.

 "Let's hold judgment about the peaceful Drumcree until we can see
 the results by July 12th."

 Loyalists later threw fireworks and petrol bombs over the huge
 steel barrier blocking the path to the Garvaghy Road.

 The crowds which had dwindled earlier in the afternoon swelled to
 around 700 by 10pm. A vehicle was set alight in the loyalist
 Corcrain estate.

 There were also disturbances in Belfast up to 11pm last night
 with police examining a suspicious device on the Ligoniel Road in
 north Belfast.  A number of roads were also blocked for short
 periods.

 Mr Mac Cionnaith repeated his call for Portadown Orangemen to
 enter into direct dialogue with nationalist residents, something
 they have always refused or avoided.

 "It has always been our position that the best way to resolve
 this local difficulty in Portadown is for the district office in
 Portadown to sit down with representatives of this community and
 try to get a local agreement to what essentially is a local
 problem," he said.

 He said the protest at Drumcree hill involved those bent on
 wrecking the peace process.

 "I am not involved in the political process, but the people here
 who are marching out to Drumcree today are anti-agreement
 Unionists," he said.

 "They are people who wish to see the Good Friday agreement fail."

 Sinn Fein assembly member Dara O'Hagan said it appeared that the
 Drumcree protest was fizzling out.

 "It is certainly much more low key than in previous years. I
 certainly think a large section of people within the unionist
 community don't want anything to do with what is happening at
 Drumcree," she said.

 "It is very clear that the extremes within loyalism that are
 using this protest at Drumcree."

 The main pro-agreement parties and the British and Irish
 governments gather for talks in England today aimed at breaking
 the continuing political impasse. The talks are possibly the most
 important in the process of implementing the 1998 Good Friday
 Agreement and follow the resignation last week of Ulster Unionist
 leader David Trimble as First Minister of the Belfast Assembly.

 The move to Weston Park near Birmingham in the British midlands
 is aimed at reducing distractions and providing a change of scene
 for negotiators.  British Secretary of State John Reid said he
 hoped the structure of the talks would make it possible to
 "resurrect some of the vision that accompanied the original Good
 Friday agreement".

 The parties and two governments have five weeks to reach
 agreement before Mr Trimble seeks re-election in the Assembly to
 the post of First Minister. Failure to elect a First Minister
 would mean fresh Assembly elections. The suspension of the
 North's institutions by the British government and the
 reimposition of direct rule from London is not being considered
 at this time, according to reports.

 Unionists are calling for a public act of arms decommissioning by
 the IRA. Sinn Fein is insisting the British honour its
 commitments on policing reform, the reduction of its military
 presence and the defence of the new political institutions from
 unionist wrecking tactics.

 The two prime ministers have said they are optimistic about
 progress being made. Speaking ahead of the talks, Irish premier
 Taoiseach Bertie Ahern said he believed there "could be a
 successful conclusion". British Prime MInister Tony Blair said
 there was a deep sense of obligation "to crack the remaining
 issues".

 Mr Trimble said the talks process had reached a critical phase.

 "We are approaching, I think, what may very well be the moment of
 truth for this entire process ..." said Mr Trimble.

 "We have worked very hard to try to realise the Agreement ... and
 we have seen precious little thanks and very little support from
 other parties."

 Mr Trimble was accompanied by Reg Empey, Jeffrey Donaldson, John
 Taylor and James Cooper.

 Sinn Fein President Gerry Adams said the peace process was in
 "considerable difficulties" but that his party welcomed the talks
 "and the opportunity that they give for both ourselves and the
 other parties and the two governments to straighten things out,"
 he said.

 "The process has become lost and it has to be put back on the
 right road and that's certainly our intention in coming here."

 Speaking on Sunday at a commemoration to hunger striker Joe
 McDonnell in Lenadoon, west Belfast, Mr Adams bemoaned the lack
 of perspective over the talks.

 "The main focus is around IRA weapons," he said.

 "No matter that they have been silent.

 "No matter that the only threat from guns comes from loyalist
 weapons which are daily being used against ordinary Catholics in
 beleaguered areas from blast bombs, from pipe bombs and from gun
 attacks.

 "No matter that the British government has commissioned a new
 plastic bullet which have already been used in north Belfast
 against nationalists.

 "No matter that, in another end of this constituency, British
 troops were used to force an Orange parade through a nationalist
 area while in north Belfast young primary children cannot get to
 school."

 The Sinn Fein president, whose six-strong negotiating team
 includes Martin McGuinness, Bairbre de Brun, Gerry Kelly,
 Michelle Gildernew and Aengus O Snodaigh, said the challenge lay
 with all sides. But he added: "In my opinion there is no
 possibility of unionist demands, or British government demands on
 IRA weapons being conceded by the IRA in the time ahead.

 "It is not possible. It is not within our gift and is not the
 responsibility of Sinn Fein to deliver to unionists."

 The home of a County Antrim parish priest was hit by three petrol
 bombs early yesterday morning, almost exactly a year after a
 similar attack.

 The parochial house of Father Greg Cormican in the Sacred Heart
 Parish on the mainly loyalist Doagh Road in Ballyclare suffered
 scorch damage and a broken window after the petrol bombs exploded
 at the front of the house.

 "This is the same thing that happened at the same time last year.
 There aren't many Catholics in this area, but we have a good
 relationship with the locals -- they are decent people," he said.

 The priest, who has been with the parish for seven years, said
 messages of support from residents had been streaming in.

 He said: "The phone hasn't stopped ringing with people round here
 expressing their disgust at this attack. There is not a lot of
 trouble here."

 Father Cormican, who is also the priest at Antrim hospital, said
 he woke to find smashed glass and fire damage to the front of his
 house.

 "I woke just after 5am and saw the damage to the front off my
 house. Luckily, I have double glazing and the bombs didn't break
 through the inner pane," he said.

 Elsewhere, two pipe bombs exploded inside a car abandoned outside
 a GAA Gaelic sports club in County Antrim this morning.  A second
 bomb alert outside another GAA club in Ballycastle was declared a
 hoax.

 And a petrol bomb attack on the home of a Catholic family in
 Armagh caused scorch damage to the house in Rosemount Park in the
 city on Sunday night, but no-one was injured. Another petrol bomb
 was found abandoned nearby.

 "The Parades Commission had little credibility in this area,"
 said John McGivern of the Springfield Residents Action Group,
 "but since their decision last week their credibility has
 evaporated here."

 He was speaking after the Parades Commission bowed to pressure
 from the RUC and abandoned its determination to ban Orange bands
 from parading along the nationalist Springfield Road.

 The initial ruling was announced on Monday and the Orange march
 was set to parade from the Shankill to Woodvale Avenue, where the
 bands would split from the main body of the parade to walk
 through Ballysillan to the West Circular Road onto the
 Springfield Road facing the Farset Centre and on to their Orange
 Lodge.

 The route scheduled for the bands had been accepted by local
 residents, as it largely avoided passing nationalist residential
 areas. Residents did object to the Parades Commission's decision
 to allow the main body of the parade to pass through the walled
 peace line at gates on Workman Avenue and onto the Springfield
 Road.

 This route allowed Orangemen to parade through a nationalist area
 without entering into dialogue or seeking the consent of local
 people. Last year, the same Orange Parade flouted restrictions
 imposed by the Parades Commission and allowed a loyalist
 paramilitary colour party carrying sectarian flags to march
 through the nationalist area.

 "On Wednesday, delegates from residents' group and their
 solicitor met with the Parades Commission to voice concern over
 the decision to allow Orangemen through the peaceline at
 Workman's Avenue," says John.

 The gate in the 20-foot wall dividing the two communities is
 closed all year bar two occasions when it is opened to facilitate
 Orange marches into a Catholic area. "It makes no sense," says
 John. The Parades Commission's response to the delegation was
 described as 'hostile'.

 "The delegation was told you have 15 minutes," says John, "then
 ten minutes, five minutes and then the meeting was closed. The
 Parades Commission is always calling for dialogue but if you're a
 nationalist they don't want to listen."

 For nationalist residents living along the Springfield Road, the
 commission's decision to allow an Orange march, even without
 their 'kick the Pope' bands, was traumatic enough and then the
 Parades Commission made it even worse.

 On the eve of the scheduled Orange Parade, the Commission
 announced that it had revised its original determination and
 Orange bands would now be joining the main parade through an
 entrance at Mackies, an industrial plant situated along the
 peaceline less than 50 yards up from Workman's Avenue.

 "It was an outrageous reversal," says John, "and the last minute
 timing of the announcement allowed no time for the decision to be
 challenged." And residents were left with the pretence that
 delaying Orange bands from joining the main parade for less than
 two minutes amounted to the restriction being upheld.

 A day prior to the announcement, the RUC was spotted mapping out
 the new route within the grounds of Mackies factory. A short time
 later, RUC Chief Constable Ronnie Flanagan met British Secretary
 of State John Reid and asked him to sign a requisition order
 turning over the Mackies site to the control of the RUC. Reid
 conceded.

 "The RUC overruled the Parades Commission and the British
 government allowed it to happen," says John. "There had been no
 mention of Mackies gates as a proposed route by the Orange Order.
 It was clearly an RUC initiative."

 At 6.30am on Saturday morning, the British Army moved into the
 nationalist Springfield Road area and began erecting wire above
 the peaceline. "They claimed it was for our protection," says
 John, "but we asked why had we not been protected when loyalists
 were throwing pipe and petrol bombs over the wall earlier in the
 year."

 At 11.30am, British Army lorries moved in at the corner of
 Elswick Street and the Springfield Road and began unloading
 concrete bollards with steel bar barriers and razor wire.

 When a local man objected to the barricade being erected in his
 garden, he and his local councillor Tom Hartley were manhandled
 by RUC men in full riot gear and pushed aside. British Crown
 forces were already confronting local people, restricting their
 movements and ordering them inside their homes and it was still
 three hours before the Orange parade was scheduled to take place.

 "Many people don't realise that an Orange parade might only take
 20 minutes to pass but the intimidation of nationalists begins
 hours before and only ends hours later," says John. "The whole
 day is disrupted and the entire neighbourhood is tense and
 unsettled for hours.

 "If Orangemen could only respect the wishes of their Catholic
 neighbours and reroute their parades through their own areas, all
 this tension would no longer be necessary."

 Around 3pm, the Orange Order marched through the gates at Workman
 Avenue and onto the Springfield Road. A few moments later, they
 were joined by Orange bands arriving through the gates at Mackies
 factory. The bands had been instructed by the Parades Commission
 not to play within the nationalist residential area but this
 restriction was flouted.

 Local Sinn Fein councillor Tom Hartley said the Parades
 Commission's decision was disgraceful. He said it had again
 totally ignored the wishes and fears of the residents of the
 Springfield Road and also rewarded the Orange Order for their
 past breaches of their restrictions.

 "What is also clear is that the RUC, the armed wing of unionism,
 has intervened politically on behalf of the Orange Order to allow
 this march to go ahead. This is an unacceptable situation for
 nationalists," said Hartley.

 "British government complacency and the RUC Chief Constable's
 apparent advocacy on behalf of the Orange Order bodes ill for the
 coming weekend's Orange march to Drumcree. If the experience of
 Springfield Road residents is anything to go by, nationalist
 residents on the Garvaghy Road can take no comfort in the Parades
 Commission's announcement that Orangemen will not walk through
 their area."

 Sinn Fein's Caoimhghin O Caolain has signalled his intention to
 oppose the Dublin government's ban on opinion polls in the ten
 days before an election. He described it as a "sweeping measure"
 which "infringes freedom of information".

 Deputy O Caolain said the measure had been "hastily adopted" by
 the government in the immediate aftermath of its recent
 by-election defeat in South Tipperary.  Fianna Fail leaders
 blamed the result on the publication of an opinion poll in the
 final days, although the party came third behind Fine Gael and an
 independent community candidate.

 The move has added to speculation that the government intends to
 call an election in the Autumn.  With the Irish economy
 wweakening and Ahern's increasing difficulty in maintaining his
 minority coalition government, October is now being spoken of as
 a possible date for a run to the electoorate.

 "Regardless of the merits, if any, of the proposal to ban opinion
 polls in the days before an election, it deserves much more
 consideration and study before enacting such a sweeping measure,"
 O Caolain said.

 Sinn Fein support has consistently been underestimated by opinion
 polls, and for a long time the party was not even included in
 polls. "There are many issues around political polls to be teased
 out," he added.

 "No strong arguments have been presented to support such a
 measure which infringes what is a basic right - freedom of speech
 and freedom of information."

 This weekend saw the anniversary of the death on hunger strike of
 Joe McDonnell, the fifth hunger striker to die in 1981. To mark
 his death the Lenadoon 1981 Committee have organised a weekend of
 events to commemorate the death.

 The programme began with a football match at St Teresa's GAC club
 between the Lenadoon '81 Committee and an ex-POW select team.
 Both Joe McDonnell and Kieran Doherty were members of St
 Teresa's.

 White line pickets took place on the main routes throughout
 Belfast and later a march took place through the area to the
 house on Lenadoon Avenue where McDonnell lived before his arrest
 in 1976.

 Unveiling a commemorative plagu at the house, and Sinn Fein
 President Gerry Adams praised the republican legend who died
 after 61 days on the fast.

 Mr Adams told the assembled crowd that events taking place at
 Drumcree were an attempt to intimidate the people of the Garvaghy
 Road and to do what was attempted with the hunger strikers 20
 years ago, "to isolate, marginalise and threaten them".

 He said: "We stand by the people of the Garvaghy Road just as we
 stood by the hunger strikers 20 years ago."

 A memorial Mass was later celebrated for the hunger strikers, and
 in the evening evening a well-attended lecture was given on the
 history of hunger strikes in Ireland in the Rodai MacCorlai Club
 on the Glen Road.

 AUSTRALIAN TRIBUTE

 More than 80 people gathered at a luncheon in the Speakers Garden
 of the New South Wales Parliament on 22 June to commemorate the
 20th anniversary of the 1981 Hunger Strike and to celebrate Sinn
 Fein's recent election victories and the defeat of the Treaty of
 Nice referendum.

 Among them were 15 Members of Parliament (another five MPs,
 including Police Minister Paul Whelan, sent their apologies).
 They were joined by Irish community leaders, Aboriginal
 representatives and trade union leaders from the maritime, public
 service, mining, construction and rural industries.

 The commemoration was organised by Australian Aid for Ireland and
 hosted by Labour MPS Jim Anderson and Paul Lynch. Jim Neeson,
 from Sinn Fein's International Department in Belfast was the
 invited speaker.

 The commemoration was booked for a function room in Parliament
 House but had to be moved to the Speaker's Garden to cater for
 the large turnout.

 Delegates from the women's group of Ireland's governing Fianna
 Fail party visited south Armagh last week to observe British
 military activity.

 Delegates said they would be making Irish Prime Minister,
 Taoiseach Bertie Ahern aware of their visit and would recommend
 the urgent need for demilitarisation.

 The group earlier met with the South Armagh Farmers and Residents
 Committee and Newry and Armagh assembly member Conor Murphy.

 Mr Murphy said the British government was obliged to produce a
 schedule for demilitarisation in 1998 "and they have not made any
 effective moves - particularly in this area."

 He said the Good Friday Agreement was still the only way forward.

 "This is an international agreement protecting international law.
 The Dublin government and British government are guarantors of
 that agreement," he said.

 "David Trimble's resignation, damaging as it is to the overall
 process, should not stop the British government doing what needs
 to be done."

 "Movement on demilitarisation, policing, equality legislation and
 justice matters are not concessions to republicans or
 nationalists - they are rights that people should have been
 enjoying all along.

 "People who live in this area have a right to live free from
 military presence," he added.

 Have you heard the one about the government so concerned about
 the environmental consequences of greenhouse gases they decided
 to build more nuclear power stations? No, this is not a joke. It
 is happening, and worse still, happening on our doorstep. British
 Prime Minister Tony Blair has initiated an energy policy review
 headed by Energy minister Brian Wilson, a blunt advocate of
 nuclear power.

 Blair's energy review came in the same week that British Nuclear
 Fuels (BNFL) announced losses of #210 million sterling for the
 last year. It is their second year of operations.

 Despite the fact that BNFL is leaking money as well as
 radioactive waste, they are still seeking to not only build new
 power stations but also subsidise the closure of their existing
 Magnox reactors. They are supposed to be decommissioned by 2010.
 BNFL face shutdown costs of over #34 billion to shutdown and
 dismantle these plants.

 Also in disarray is British Nuclear Fuels' nuclear waste
 reprocessing business. The company is seeking to delay by a year
 delivery of their first tranche of reprocessed waste to German
 and Japanese customers. BNFL are also waiting approval to open
 their #480 million Mox fuel reprocessing plant at Sellafield.

 BNFL are not the only nuclear power generator in Britain. The
 privatised British Energy company has 15 reactors, including
 seven Advanced Gas-cooled Reactors (AGRs), which are supposed to
 be shut down in 2025. This is already a delay of ten years from
 what should have been their original shutdown date. British
 Energy is now lobbying to have this deadline extended.

 Both companies have been lobbying the British government to not
 only extend the life of existing power stations but to let them
 press ahead with the construction of new ones. The British
 government is open to this idea because it sees nuclear power as
 a method of ensuring it meets its commitments to cut greenhouse
 gas emissions under the Kyoto protocol.

 Currently in Britain, the mix of power sources is as follows. A
 quarter of Britain's power comes from gas, 30% from coal, 25% is
 nuclear generated, 2.5% comes from renewable resources and the
 rest is imported. Britain is already importing some gas for power
 generation and energy minister Brian Wilson estimates that by
 2020, 90% of British gas will be imported.

 Blair's new Labour government is committed to having 10% of its
 power come from renewable resources by 2010. This target is now
 believed to be unattainable. Rather than commit the same level of
 resources given to subsidising nuclear power to developing
 renewable energy, the British government looks to be taking the
 soft option of just building more nuclear power stations.

 It would take the construction of 50 new nuclear power stations
 to be able to maintain power supply while cutting greenhouse gas
 emissions. Both BE and BNFL propose building most of these
 stations on existing sites. Ten of British Energy's current 15
 nuclear facilities are on the west coast of Britain, incredibly
 close to Ireland's densest population centers.

 The New Labour government has stressed that the energy policy
 review has yet to reach any conclusions. However, British
 newspapers have reported openly on the significant pressure being
 brought by the nuclear lobby in the corridors of power and New
 Labour's recent election manifesto had deleted any pledges not to
 build new nuclear power stations.

 Sinn Fein's Arthur Morgan has called on the Dublin government to
 urgently take up this matter with the British government and ask
 them to clarify what their position is on not only the start up
 of the Mox fuel reprocessing plant but on expanding the nuclear
 power industry in Britain.

 "The last thing the communities on the east coast of Ireland need
 is more nuclear facilities and more new power plants in Britain,"
 said the Louth county councillor. "The safety record of the
 British nuclear industry in not just power generation but in
 storage and reprocessing of nuclear waste is dire. The British
 need to be dismantling their nuclear power industry, not
 expanding it."

 BY SOLEDAD GALIANA

 West Papua is one of the world's forgotten nations. After nearly
 40 years of conflict, it is only in the last few years that the
 international community has become aware of its plight. Repressed
 by the Indonesian government, ignored by the West, Papuans
 struggle to survive as a people.

 Sem Karoba, who represents Papua's Union of Students, is also the
 international spokesperson for the Papuan Presidium Council, the
 institution that represents the will of the Papuan people. His
 work consists of spreading information about the situation in
 West Papua and lobbying politicians and governments.

 West Papua is situated in the western part of the world's second
 largest island, in the Western Pacific, north of Australia. It
 has not figured on the international political agenda since 1952,
 when the Netherlands conceded to West Papua the right to
 self-determination. Had Indonesia not intervened, West Papua
 would have achieved self-determination by 1970.

 On 17 August 1945, the Republic of the United States of Indonesia
 - a federation of 16 states - was proclaimed. By that time,
 Indonesia already had its eye on West Papua, but it was not until
 Sukarno managed to transform the Indonesian federation into a
 so-called "Unitary Republic" - a centralised state controlled by
 the Javanese elite - that the Indonesian establishment moved.

 By the end of the 1950s, after a number of military encounters,
 the Dutch and Indonesian governments, under pressure from the US,
 sat down to negotiate the future of West Papua. They signed the
 New York Agreement in 1962. No one from the West Papuan
 representative bodies was invited to the negotiations. No West
 Papuan was ever consulted. "The Dutch government knew that the
 West Papuans had chosen representatives, what was called at the
 time the New Guinea Council, but they were ignored; there was no
 consultation, legally or personally," explains Karoba.

 "What we said last year in a resolution of the West Papuan
 Congress was that we refute this Agreement. We were not part of
 the drafting, signing and/or implementation process. They were
 talking about Papuans, but no Papuans were involved."

 Indonesia took over West Papua, or Irian Jaya, as Indonesia
 termed the territory, on 1 May 1963. International supervision
 ceased.

 In 1965, when the West Papuan people saw the Indonesian military
 moving in, and realised that the international community had
 decided to ignore their plight for independence, they started
 fighting. The Free Papua Movement (OPM) was created. They fought
 against the Indonesian military with bows and arrows. Indonesia
 reacted with increasing repression and military attacks.

 In late 1981, after a Dutch television crew had filmed hundreds
 of people carrying spears and shouting anti-Indonesian slogans,
 the Indonesian military bombarded one of the most densely
 populated areas of West Papua, the Paniai basin, killing 2,500
 people.

 In 1969, Sukarno moved to fulfil one of the New York Agreement
 clauses, which stipulated that the Papuans should have a chance
 to vote for or against integration with Indonesia. So he
 organised the Act of Free Choice.

 "We had 880,000 inhabitants in West Papua," recalls Karoba, "but
 only 1,025 people were selected by the government to vote,
 including my father and some of his friends. They were lied to;
 they could not speak Indonesian, so they were just told what to
 say, and forced to repeat it. They were taught to say "I like
 Indonesia", "I want Indonesia", "I do not like Netherlands",
 "Welcome Indonesia"... they were all drilled during four or five
 months before the Act of Free Choice was going to take place. And
 on the day they were told to repeat what they had been taught."

 Meanwhile, the Guinea Council - the West Papuan parliament
 established by the Netherlands - was banned. Its members were
 prosecuted. Many of them are still in exile in the Netherlands.
 "People were not allowed to freely express their opinions, and
 legitimate representatives were not allowed to vote. So, it was
 not democratic, it did not respect human rights," says Karoba.
 The UN Secretary General's special representative during the
 'referendum' in West Papua, Fernando Ortiz-Sanz, reporting the
 result to the UN, expressed his doubts over the handling of the
 so-called referendum: "I regret to have to express my reservation
 regarding the implementation of article XXII of the Agreement
 relating 'to the rights, including the rights to free speech,
 freedom of movement and of assembly, of the inhabitants of the
 area'. In spite of my constant efforts, this important provision
 was not fully implemented and the Administration exercised at all
 times a tight political control over the population," he said.

 After the arrival of the troops, Indonesia set to take over West
 Papua using the old method of plantation. They called it
 "Transmigration".

 The transmigration programme has deeply affected Papuans' lives.
 After 30 years of plantation, the West Papuan indigenous
 population is now a minority. There are only 1.5 million Papuans,
 compared to around two or 2.5 million Javanese in West Papua. The
 Indonesians settled where tribal people used to live and to
 'protect' the new settlements, there was an increased military
 presence.

 Indonesian legislation does not allow for the publication of
 books that refer to West Papua in any way as a separate entity.
 There are no books on West Papua or using the West Papuan
 language. There is also a media blackout on the different ethnic
 groups. "We are not allowed to speak our language in the streets
 or markets. The military are everywhere and they do not allow you
 to speak your language. I cannot sing any song in the West Papuan
 language. Our music has been banned. The only place where we can
 speak our language and express our culture freely is in the
 jungle," says Karoba.

 "We are not allowed to carry anything on our hair or hands to
 symbolise that we are Papuans. We cannot play our music on a tape
 recorder. And we have 245 tribes, 245 languages. All are ignored
 and everyone is Indonesian."

 The Indonesians have strong economic interests in remaining in
 West Papua. Papuans are sitting on the most desired copper,
 silver and gold reserves in the world, calculated to have stocks
 for more than 100 years.

 "When Western countries say that they do not want to denounce
 Indonesian activities in West Papua, what they are really saying
 is that they want to protect their investments. It is not about
 Indonesian 'Balkanisation'. Bush can say that he is worried about
 Indonesia, but actually, he is worried about what Americans want,
 and they want to exploit West Papua's resources. They do not care
 about human rights violations in West Papua or the political
 situation in Indonesia, only about economics," says Karoba.

 At the moment, Indonesia is in turmoil. President Wahid is facing
 possible impeachment in Parliament, and the fight for the
 presidency is in full swing, with Wahid's deputy, Megawati
 Sukarnoputri, moving closer to the military to facilitate a
 takeover if Wahid falls.

 "Wahid's only strength is West Papua, Aceh, Moluccas, Borneo, and
 Matura...", explains Karoba. "The ultra-islands, as we call them,
 to differentiate them from the Javanese island. He has declared
 that if he steps down, he will give independence to all the
 ultra-islanders."

 Karoba believes West Papua and other island nations stand a good
 chance of obtaining independence, but it very much relies on the
 will of President Wahid. At the moment, the OPM is on a ceasefire
 to allow for political dialogue. "This is the right time. That is
 the reason why we are coming to Ireland, because you have the
 experience of colonisation and transmigration, because you know
 about negotiating and reaching a peaceful settlement. The Good
 Friday Agreement is a good example."

 ------------------------------------------------------------- --
 As talks resume in England today, Sinn Fein President Gerry Adams
 MP MLA sets out Sinn Fein's position on the arms issue.
 ------------------------------------------------------------- --
 Sinn Fein wants to see the gun taken out of Irish politics. All
 of the parties and the two governments agree on this.

 Enormous progress has been made in the last 6 years particularly
 on the issue of IRA arms. IRA guns are silent and the IRA
 cessations are now into their 7th year. The IRA has acknowledged
 that the issue of arms has to be dealt with as part of a conflict
 resolution process, and last year the IRA leadership set out a
 context in which it would put its weapons veritably beyond use.
 In addition it undertook the unprecedented step of allowing
 strangers to examine its arms dumps and to confirm that they have
 not been used. And finally, the IRA is engaged with the IICD
 [arms body].

 These are not small, unimportant events. No one who lived through
 the 70s, or 80s, or most of the 90s, or who has even as a cursory
 understanding of republican history and theology would ever have
 considered any of these things possible. These are huge
 developments, which in the proper context point the way to a
 future free of IRA weapons.

 The Sinn Fein leadership helped to create the conditions that
 made this possible. We did so because of our commitment to a
 lasting and just peace settlement on this island.

 The unionist response to this progress has been to ignore Sinn
 Fein's democratic mandate, the mandate of the other parties, the
 referendum, the Good Friday Agreement itself and their
 responsibilities and obligations.

 Many republicans are angry at a Unionist leadership ridicules,
 belittles and undermines this progress, while at the same time
 doing absolutely nothing to end the daily bomb and guns attacks
 by loyalists on catholic families. They are angry at a British
 government which underpins the UUP position, in breach of the
 Agreement, and which has remilitarized nationalist and republican
 heart-lands.

 If the issue of arms is to be dealt with effectively the
 unionists and the British need to get real. The future of IRA
 weapons will not be resolved on unionist or British terms. It can
 be resolved as part of a genuine conflict resolution process.
 This means it has to be dealt with as an objective of the peace
 process and not as a precondition to the political process.
 Moreover nationalist and republican rights and entitlements
 cannot be conditional on what the IRA, or any other armed group
 does. In the Good Friday Agreement these matters, that is
 policing, demilitarization, human rights, the justice system and
 the equality agenda, are stand alone issues. This cannot be a
 bartering process. Either citizens have rights or we don't.

 Sinn FEin accepts our responsibilities on the arms issue. All the
 other parties have exactly the same responsibility. They need to
 consider what they have done to instill confidence within
 physical force republicanism that unionism and the British
 government is serious about building a just and equitable
 dispensation. What has Mr. Trimble or Mr. Blair done to achieve
 that?

 In recent years Sinn Fein has gone much further than the GFA in
 our effort to resolve this issue. But what has David Trimble done
 to secure the silence of loyalist weapons? What influence or
 initiatives, or discussions, or efforts has David Trimble or the
 British PM made to stop the nightly bomb attacks against
 Catholics, or the gun attacks that have resulted in catholic
 deaths?

 At a time when the concentration by unionists and the British is
 on IRA weapons, whose responsibility is it to deal with the issue
 of loyalist arms and of British arms? At this time the answer
 would appear to be no one!

 For my part, I believe that the issue of arms can be resolved.
 But I do not believe that the issue of arms, all arms held by all
 armed groups including those held by the state forces, will be
 resolved within the 6 week artificial deadline imposed by David
 Trimble's cynical and calculated resignation, or on British
 government or unionist terms.

 This is not within the gift of the Sinn Fein leadership to
 deliver and I have told the governments and other parties this.

 If the negotiations are to be successful then the two governments
 and all the parties need to return to the Good Friday Agreement.
 It contains the template for dealing with this issue and the many
 other matters that needed to be resolved as part of this conflict
 resolution process. Sinn FEin understands the approach to
 resolving the weapons issue. We have built a strategy around it.
 Our strategy is based on the Good Friday Agreement.

 It is make your mind up time for both the British government and
 unionism. For our part Sinn Fein will do everything we can to
 make this process survive and deliver,

 We will do our best. Mr. Blair and Mr. Trimble must do likewise.

 The Good Friday Agreement is about creating a new political
 dispensation based on equality and parity of esteem. How is this
 to be achieved by making an objective of a peace process a
 precondition for the political process? How can the two
 governments square this with their stated objectives to implement
 the Good Friday Agreement? Has the agreement become the Good
 Friday Agreement as interpreted by unionism, subject to
 continuous re-negotiation, or are the governments genuinely
 committed to the historic compromise endorsed by citizens in
 referendums in May 1998?

c.  RM Distribution and others.  Articles may be reprinted with credit.

                            RM Distribution
                Irish Republican News and Information
                     http://irlnet.com/rmlist/

 PO Box 160, Galway, Ireland           Phone/Fax: (353)1-6335113
 PO Box 8630, Austin TX 78713, USA     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

RMD1010709111910u17