-Caveat Lector-

Barenboim stirs up Israeli storm by playing Wagner

Ewen MacAskill in Jerusalem
Monday July 9, 2001
The Guardian

The Jewish conductor, Daniel Barenboim, provoked an outcry in Israel at the
weekend by defying the country's informal ban on playing Wagner, the
favourite composer of the Nazis. His decision to challenge the taboo was
inspired by hearing the ringing-tone of a mobile phone in Jerusalem last
week.
He originally had Wagner's The Valkyries on the programme for his weekend
appearance at Israel's national arts festival. The organisers, after
protests from Israel when the programme was published a few months ago,
asked him to drop it and he agreed, replacing it with Schumann's Symphony No
4 and Stravinsky's Rite of Spring.
On Saturday night, he and the Berlin Staatskapelle orchestra completed the
programme as promised at Jerusalem's international convention centre. But
when Barenboim returned for a second encore, he surprised the audience by
asking if they wanted to hear Wagner.
An emotional 30-minute debate among the audience followed, with some
shouting "fascist" and "concentration camp music", and dozens walked out,
banging doors as the music began.
But most stayed and Barenboim, 58, played a piece from Tristan and Isolde.
He was reported to have been close to tears after receiving a standing
ovation.
He told the audience it had been a personal initiative: "You can be angry
with me, but please don't be angry with the orchestra or the festival
management."
He revealed that his decision was made at a press conference on Wednesday
that was interrupted by the ring of a mobile phone. "The telephone's ring
was The Valkyries of Wagner," he said. "I thought, if it can be heard on the
ring of a telephone, why can't it be played in a concert hall?"
However, even some of those who oppose the Wagner ban were angry that
Barenboim had reneged on a promise to the festival organisers. But most of
the rightwing anger was simply because it was Wagner.
The prime minister, Ariel Sharon, said: "I would rather it hadn't been
played. There are a lot of people in Israel for whom this issue is very
hard."
The rightwing mayor of Jerusalem, Ehud Omert, said Barenboim's decision was
"arrogant, uncultured and unacceptable". He added that Israel would have to
review its relations with the conductor. "It's not his job to determine
whether the state of Israel decides to allow Wagner to be heard or not. As a
musician he is great, but as a human being I could say a few other things."
Ephraim Zuroff, director of the Israeli branch of the Nazi-hunting Simon
Wiesenthal Centre, said: "We will urge all Israeli orchestras to boycott
Daniel Barenboim."
Wagner, who wrote anti-semitic diatribes, was the favourite composer of
Hitler.
In 1981, the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra tried to play a piece from
Tristan and Isolde, but a Holocaust survivor jumped on to the stage, opened
his shirt and showed scars from a concentration camp. The performance was
abandoned.
The ban is not consistent. Wagner was for years being played on Israeli
radio. A small crack was created last year when he was played for the first
time on stage in a relatively low-key event by Israel's Rishon Lezion
orchestra, conducted by a Holocaust survivor. But Barenboim's breach is the
most serious yet, as it was in Jerusalem at Israel's premier music festival.
Barenboim, who was born in Argentina, raised in Israel and lives in Berlin,
opened the debate on Saturday night by challenging the audience: "Despite
what the Israel festival believes, there are people sitting in the audience
for whom Wagner does not spark Nazi associations.
"I respect those for whom these associations are oppressive. It will be
democratic to play a Wagner encore for those who wish to hear it. I am
turning to you now and asking whether I can play Wagner?"
He said he did not want to offend anyone and that those who would find the
music objectionable could leave.
The debate, carried out in Hebrew, was lost on almost all of the orchestra.
Holocaust survivors were in both camps. Michael Avraham, 67, an engineer,
said: "Wagner was a giant anti-semite but also a great musician. I'm against
his views, but not his music."