-Caveat Lector-

G.O.P. Devotees Pay Honor to Whittaker Chambers

By ELAINE SCIOLINO

WASHINGTON, July 9 — The passion for Whittaker Chambers burns brightly in the
Bush White House.

On the 40th anniversary of his death, Mr. Chambers, the onetime Communist spy
who denounced Alger Hiss as a fellow member of an elite Washington espionage
cell, was lionized today as a compassionate conservative and loyal
Republican. He was remembered at a private event in the Old Executive Office
Building organized by a White House aide and prominent Republicans and
conservatives.

Sam Tanenhaus, author of the biography "Whittaker Chambers," (Random House,
1998) and one of four speakers at the event, said in an interview: "Chambers
was not just the witness against Alger Hiss, but was also one of the
articulators of the modern conservative philosophy, a philosophy that has
something to do with restoring the spiritual values of politics."

During the 90-minute private commemoration of Mr. Chambers, which was closed
to the news media, William F. Buckley Jr., the founder of National Review,
recalled Mr. Chambers's days as an editor there. He described Mr. Chambers as
a man whose worldview was "constantly in motion" and who eventually settled
on an activist politics of the right, according to a copy of Mr. Buckley's
remarks.

"I am not a conservative," Mr. Buckley quoted Mr. Chambers as writing in his
letter of resignation from National Review in 1959. "I am a man of the Right.
I shall vote the straight Republican ticket for as long as I live."

Neither President Bush nor Vice President Dick Cheney was at today's event,
which was attended by about 100 invited guests.

The genesis of the event was a conversation between Mr. Buckley and his old
sailing partner, Timothy S. Goeglein, a former aide to the religious
conservative Gary L. Bauer who serves as White House liaison to conservative
leaders.

Mr. Goeglein was among the most senior White House officials present at the
event. The White House declined to release the names of other staff or guests
in attendance.

"There are folks here in the White House who are fans and devotees who were
profoundly affected by `Witness,' " said one White House official involved in
the event, referring to Mr. Chambers's best-selling memoir of his
anti-Communist conversion. "So he permeates our philosophy in a broader
sense."

Mr. Chambers's implication of Mr. Hiss — and himself — as former Soviet
agents before the House Un- American Activities Committee in August 1948, led
to a slander suit by Mr. Hiss, who was convicted of perjury after two trials
and imprisoned.