[Note from Matthew Gaylor:  I've met Douglas Jackson, who gave up his
lucrative medical practice to start e-gold, he's an MD.  I've been to
their headquarters and I've inspected one of their vaults where the
gold is kept (And no I won't tell you where that might be).  I use
e-gold myself on occasion and it has been very handy from ordering
magazine subscriptions http://magazinedepot.com/ to oversea
transactions . My e-gold acct# 101893 for those who want to test it
out by giving me Gold <grin>.]

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010710/wr/markets_internet_gold_dc_1.html

Tech Headlines

Tuesday July 10 1:38 PM ET

Gold Seeks Role As Currency of E-Commerce

By Steve Hays

LONDON (Reuters) - World markets need a digital currency that is
independent of national economies, and gold is already showing it
fits that bill, a dot.com firm based on the Caribbean island of Nevis
says.

``In the past there wasn't enough gold to finance wars, but there's
more than enough around now to finance commercial transactions,''
Douglas Jackson, president and chief executive of e-gold Ltd, told
Reuters on Tuesday.

Jackson said the firm turned gold into an online currency and started
up its e-gold system (www.e-gold.com) in November, 1996, since when
3.2 million transactions had been conducted via the network.

Jackson said each unit of e-gold as a digital currency was backed by
an equivalent weight in gold metal held in secure third-party vaults.
That meant there was no credit risk or contingent liability in using
e-gold for any transactions.

A Canadian, for example, can pay a German the correct weight of gold
for goods or services as easily as if the price had been quoted in a
national currency.

INTERNET PENETRATION

Most deals had been done by small businesses in the United States,
Canada, the UK and Australia that could not afford to wait weeks to
receive funds from credit card transactions or were not in the credit
card system.

``We've also seen interest from areas where there are weak currencies
and good internet penetration, particularly Malaysia and New
Zealand,'' he added.

BANKS COULD MOBILISE RESERVES

Jackson is in London to discuss using e-gold for bullion banks to
settle business among themselves.

He said a digital currency also offered central banks a way to
mobilize their gold reserves.

``The central banks, and the IMF, are sitting there with thousands of
tons of gold as a major part of their assets, but they can't be used
for capital transactions.''

[...]

To post, email [EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit site.