-Caveat Lector-

http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/politics/DailyNews/condit010713_pm.html

Condit Passes Polygraph

Sources: Condit Passes Test Commissioned by Lawyers

<PICTURE> Jennifer Thomas is shown in this undated yearbook photo
(ABCNEWS.com).

W A S H I N G T O N, July 13 - Rep. Gary Condit has taken and passed a lie
detector test commissioned by his legal team, sources tell ABCNEWS.

Until this afternoon, it had been unclear whether Condit, D-Calif., would
take a lie detector test as part of the investigation into the
disappearance of former intern Chandra Levy. Condit, who is 53 and married,
has admitted to police he had a sexual relationship with the 24-year-old
Levy.

Police said they had asked Condit to take an FBI-administered test.
Condit's attorney, Abbe Lowell, had said Condit would be willing to take a
polygraph, but he also discounted the effectiveness of such tests.

Lowell will hold a news conference on Condit's polygraph test later this
afternoon. He is expected to announce the congressman he passed the test.

News of the polygraph test comes hours after he turned over a DNA sample to
investigators. The sample could be useful because it would help eliminate
other DNA samples police may have found in Levy's apartment.

Meanwhile, staffers for Condit reportedly have said their boss denies
having a relationship with the daughter of a Pentecostal minister in
Modesto, Calif.

The minister, Otis Thomas, has told the FBI, as well as The Washington Post
and the Modesto (Calif.) Bee, that his daughter had an affair with Condit
beginning when she was 18 or 19.

Condit's chief of staff, Mike Lynch, said the congressman has denied having
any relationship with Thomas' daughter.

"He said this is just not true," Lynch told the Bee. "We've asked him about
the Post story and he said it's just not true."

Vince Flammini, Condit's former driver, also told the Bee that he never saw
the minister's daughter, Jennifer Thomas, and said Condit would never have
taken the young woman to his home in Ceres, Calif., as the minister claims.

"That's a bull [expletive] story," the driver said. "I worked for him all
through that time. I was his driver. I've never seen that girl in my whole
life."

The woman herself has also apparently denied her father's story. A note was
posted at her home, signed "Jennifer Thomas," saying that she did not know
anything about what her father was talking about and had no relationship
with the congressman.

Though it would seem Condit's reputation has been damaged by his admission
of an affair with Levy and reports of alleged affairs with two other women,
the congressman's chief of staff told the Modesto Bee that Condit plans to
run for re-election in 2002.

"We decided some time ago he would run," Lynch told the paper. "There's no
change in those plans."

Rep. Bob Barr today dispatched a letter to the House Ethics Committee
asking members to initiate a probe of Condit. On Thursday, the Georgia
Republican said he thought Condit should resign.

Meanwhile, police have expanded their search for Levy, looking in abandoned
buildings around the city and today began preparations to scour landfills
where trash from Levy's apartment building is dumped.

Police had already been looking into the criminal background of other
people who live in Levy's apartment building, and are now looking into
other members of the Washington Sports Club, where Levy was a member.

Lynch said the FBI had not interviewed anyone on Condit's staff and said he
was unaware of plans for such interviews.

Police Cmdr. Mark Beach said 80 buildings would be searched "at least
through the weekend," and said it was "just a natural part of the broader
investigative search" for the former intern.

"We are assuming that these dwellings are open, a number of people may have
access to them and we would be remiss if we didn't take a look at them," he
said, adding that some of the buildings had already been searched.

When asked whether the decision to go through the abandoned buildings, many
of them empty apartment complexes, meant police expected to find a body,
Beach said police were looking for "a body or anything at all."

Trying Out Other Theories

Investigators scoured some buildings on Thursday, accompanied by cadaver
dogs looking for remains. In addition, a team of nine police officers who
did not have cadaver dogs walked through a park near Condit's apartment.

Investigators are also testing several items removed from Condit's
apartment during a three-hour search carried out Tuesday night and
Wednesday morning.

In an interview with ABCNEWS, Assistant Police Chief Terrance Gainer said
investigators have not ruled out the possibility that Levy is still alive
and may have wandered off or purposely disappeared. Gainer said his office
hopes to release new composite photos of Levy to the public, just in case
the former intern has changed her appearance.

"Our hopeful theory [is] that maybe she's off on her own and we're still
exploring that," Gainer said. "And in fact one of the things that we're
doing now is doing a re-composite of her photo so that we can show her hair
shorter, in a different style, in a different color because maybe she is
hiding out from people."

"I think everybody has a good picture of Chandra Levy that we've all seen,
but if she is trying to hide out from us or her parents or others, then I
think we need to take another look," Gainer said. Levy was last seen on
April 30, and her last known communication - an e-mail to her parents in
California - was received on May 1. Levy, who had just finished an
internship at the Federal Bureau of Prisons, was apparently planning to
return home when she disappeared.

ABCNEWS' Pierre Thomas and Claire Shipman contributed to this report.

                      Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

          FROM THE DESK OF:

                    *Michael Spitzer*    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>