-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Feds reject plea for 'God Squad'
Attorney: 'Bureaucrats turn
deaf ear to Klamath farmers'

By Sarah Foster
© 2001 WorldNetDaily.com

Friday 13 was a bleak day indeed for the 1,400 farm families of the Klamath
Basin Project, whose efforts to obtain water for their fields and crops have
been repeatedly dashed over the last several months.

Yesterday, the U.S. Departments of Commerce and Interior summarily rejected a
formal petition by two irrigation districts in the 240,000-acre project area
to convene the special cabinet-level Endangered Species Committee – the
so-called God Squad – an ad-hoc group of agency heads which has the power to
grant exemptions to agency decisions made under the Endangered Species Act.

Pacific Legal Foundation – a Sacramento, Calif., public interest law firm
that advocates property rights and reform of the Endangered Species Act –
filed a formal petition July 2 on behalf of the Klamath and Tulelake
Irrigation Districts requesting the convening of the God Squad in hopes it
would, after sensible review, reverse the unprecedented rulings made this
spring by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the National Marine
Fisheries Service (which is a division of the Department of Commerce), to
deny all water for irrigation to the farmers of the project in order to
maintain a high water level in Klamath Lake ostensibly for the benefit of two
species of sucker fish, and in the Klamath River for the coho salmon – the
three species having been listed as threatened under the Endangered Species
Act.

As discussed earlier by WorldNetDaily, the shut-off of water was the first
time in the 100-year history of the project that water had been completely
denied to the farmers of the project.

The foundation learned of the rejection late yesterday afternoon. In a
two-page response Interior Secretary Gail Norton and Acting Under Secretary
of Commerce Scott Gudes informed Pacific Legal Foundation that the Committee
would not be convened to examine the issue – the reason given being that the
irrigation districts "lacked standing."

"Although the Districts are not eligible to file an application for exemption
under [the Endangered Species Act], we wish to take this opportunity to
emphasize that this Administration is deeply concerned about the severe
economic circumstances your clients face and is committed to working with all
affected parties, including the Districts, to work out a solution to this
difficult problem," secretaries Norton and Gudes wrote.

"We specifically invite you to continue working, as your clients have in the
past, with Sue Ellen Woolridge, Deputy Chief of Staff to Secretary Norton and
Craig O'Connor, Acting General Counsel of the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration within the Department of Commerce, to seek
long-range cooperative solutions to these difficult problems."

It shocked the petitioners' legal team.

"The people of the Klamath Basin have been victimized once again by their
government, which has again turned a deaf ear to Klamath communities in
crisis," said PLF attorney David Haddock in a press release.

"It says that communities that are economically devastated by reckless
bureaucratic decisions under the Endangered Species Act have no recourse for
getting the administration to reconsider those decisions," he said.
"Unfortunately, the federal government continues to suffer from a drought of
common sense on the Klamath issue," said Haddock. "First, the government
victimized thousands of people in the Klamath Basin with a 'fish first,
people last' policy that cut off water and threatens to destroy people's
livelihoods and futures. Now it victimizes them a second time by denying them
the opportunity to make their case for relief to the Endangered Species
Committee."

The Endangered Species Committee, on which the farmers had pinned their
hopes, is a ad-hoc group composed of the secretaries of Agriculture,
Interior, the Army, the chairman of the Council of Economic Advisors, the
administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, the administrator of
the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and one individual from
each affected state. Gale Norton, as secretary of the Interior, is the chair
of the committee.

Attorney Harold Johnson, who is also with Pacific Legal Foundation, explained
to WorldNetDaily the reasons given for the decision. The act provides that
the Committee may be called by a federal agency, the governor of the state in
which an agency action will occur, or "a permit or license applicant may
apply to the Secretary for an exemption for an agency action if, after
consultation under section 7(a)(2) of the Act, the Secretary's opinion
indicates that the agency action would violate section 7(a)(2) of the Act."

Governors Gray Davis of California and John Kitzhaber of Oregon had refused
to reply to requests that they petition. The Bureau of Reclamation – the
federal agency in charge of the project – also declined.

That left only the irrigation districts. Secretary Gail Norton has
effectively closed that door.

"They used the argument that the irrigation districts don't have standing to
bring a petition," Johnson said. "We argued that the irrigation districts
fall under the provision of being a permanent applicant or a licensed
applicant because they hold licenses or contracts and are seeking to have
those continued and not suspended. But they relied on a hyper-technical
interpretation that implies that only if you are seeking something in the
future, applying for something that will come in the future, do you have
standing. But if you have some kind of license, permit or contract at the
present time that you are seeking to have continued, that doesn't give you
standing."

"We think it's a travesty," Johnson contined. "The practical effect is to
deny a lot of parties in a lot of situations the opportunity to get a
top-level review of reckless, bureaucratic oppression under the Endangered
Species Act."

Johnson had suspicions about the timing of the response.

"They very cleverly waited till Friday afternoon to send it," he noted. "It
came down late in a very skillful effort to minimize its impact. They have
indicated in a number of ways that they do not want to bring a lot of
attention to this issue or the petition for the God Squad."

John Crawford, 53, a third-generation farmer in the Project and a member of
the board of directors of the Tulelake Irrigation District, explained to
WorldNetDaily earlier this week the reasoning behind the request.

"People misunderstand that when you petition for the God Squad to be convened
you're saying the choice has come down to a case of human activity or the
activity of the species involved, and that one or the other is going to be
sacrificed. That is not the case, and certainly that is not the issue that's
being taken forth to the God Squad. It's our contention that we've coexisted
with both the sucker fish and the coho for a long, long time through serious
droughts in the past, with no measurable impact to either of the species
involved or to the wildlife refuges that depend on the return flow from
agriculture, and we can certainly continue to do so in the future as long as
the Bureau of Reclamation has the flexibility it had in 1992 and 1994 to
manage this very limited resource. Right now there is no flexibility at all."

Crawford recalled that the districts of the project had voluntarily rationed
the water during those drought years, saving thousands of acre-feet of water.

"In both those years the Tulelake Irrigation District made a decision in the
spring of those years to completely shut the system down eight weeks early in
the fall," he explained. "And we also had a tremendous amount of regulation
that we developed ourselves as far as changing of traditional cultural
practices in the fall. Normally we will go in and fall-till that ground and
irrigate it, and we didn't allow for any of that. We didn't allow any fall
irrigation of harvested crops. We saved about 50,000-acre feet of water in
both '92 and '94. Not only did we save that water, we designated where we
wanted that saved water to go – which was to the wildlife refuges, down the
river for the salmon, and to be left in the lake for suckers."

Convening the God Squad has a couple of purposes, Crawford explained: "One,
it is not to say, OK, we're in such dire straits agriculturally and
economically community-wise, that we're willing to sacrifice either of these
species. That is not the case at all. We're not asking for all the water: we
never had, we never will. We're just asking for it to be shared equitably.
We're asking the God Squad to make the determination that our activities are
certainly not going to cause any extinction, and are not even going to cause
any negative impact, based on what has happened historically.

"The other thing it does is to bring the Department of Interior and the
Department of Commerce to the negotiating table in a meaningful way, to
become engaged with us, the water users, to try to come up with some
long-term, long-range solutions that makes sense for the species and for
these small communities where these devastating decisions have been made.

"We're talking about four communities here that have no other economic
activity except agriculture. Every single aspect of these communities is
one-hundred percent dependent upon agriculture. The schools, the churches,
the businesses, the labor force that allows our agriculture entity to exist,
are all so dependent and interrelated with agriculture that without it they
will cease to exist. The schools will close, people are going to be asked to
pick up and move on. We're talking about veterans of World War I and II that
were invited to come onto this land, with the promise that they would have it
forever. And now the government is saying that even though they've upheld
their part of the bargain, and spent a hundred years helping feed a hungry
world, they're saying it's not a good idea any more, we've changed our minds;
we're going to become dependent for all of our food resources and our
petroleum on countries that don't like us very well to begin with.

"We don't think that's a very good idea," he concluded.

Since the decision came down so late in the day on Friday, many of those
concerned have not learned of it. Crawford could not be contacted for
comment.