-Caveat Lector-

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=\Politics\archive\200107\POL20
010716a.html

Chicago Jail Inmates Courted For Absentee Voting

By Gene J. Koprowski
CNSNews.com Correspondent
July 16, 2001

Chicago (CNSNews.com) - The Chicago Board of Election Commissioners made
special provisions in the weeks before last fall's presidential election to
ensure that county jail prisoners registered to vote absentee, and that
approximately 1,900 absentee ballots from those inmates were promptly and
properly tabulated, according to information obtained by CNSNews.com via
the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).

The commissioners are formally appointed by the Cook County Circuit Court
for three-year terms. However, Chicago Mayor Richard Daley, the brother of
Al Gore's campaign manager, Bill Daley, has influence over who gets
nominated.

Preferential registration accommodations, however, were not made by the
commissioners for military or overseas absentee voters, officials said.

Being 'Very Helpful' to Inmates

"On Tuesday, October 24th, we will receive approximately 1,500 applications
for absentee ballots from the Cook County Department of Corrections," reads
an October 2, 2000 memorandum by Celine O'Sullivan, manager of election
support activities for the board.

The memo, entitled "Processing Pretrial Detainee Applications for Absentee
Ballots," was obtained following a three-month FOIA probe conducted by
CNSNews.com.

"Since we only have a week to process the applications in order to deliver
the ballots on November 2nd, it would be very helpful if we could have the
Data Processing personnel enter the applications on Wednesday, October
25th," the memo advised.

The memorandum was sent to Dan Doyle, the election board's manager of
records processing, registration and file maintenance.

Also receiving a copy of the memo was Rose Torres, a supervisor in the
absentee balloting department.

Exercising a Right Before It's Taken Away

A spokesman for the board, Thomas Leach, said the city has put in place a
process to ensure that the accused criminals can exercise their right to
vote before it is taken away in the event the inmate is convicted of a
felony charge.

"What this is, is a program that we have with the Cook County Department of
Corrections to both register and vote by absentee ballot persons who are
being detained in the Department of Corrections, pretrial," said Leach.

According to Leach, the program is an effort to ensure that eligible voters
who are behind bars are able to cast their ballot. "Under Illinois law,
once you're incarcerated on a crime, you cannot vote at that time. However,
if you are awaiting trial in jail, or in the Cook County Jail, you are
allowed to cast a ballot," said Leach.

Getting Out the Inmate Vote

In the weeks before the election, Leach said, the board dispatched
representatives of its Community Services department to the Department of
Corrections to undertake a special voter registration drive.

"Working with the Department of Corrections, we register to vote anyone who
is not registered and wishes to do so," said Leach. "We then set up, the
weekend before the election, absentee voting. We have several locations
throughout the jail."

At these prison polling places, the inmates line up, and their voting
information, address, and signature - all of the data on their absentee
voting applications - is checked. The prisoners then "are voted," said
Leach.

Leach said there are provisions to ensure that convicted felons are not
allowed to vote, but those safeguards are not undertaken by election
officials. Instead, Leach said that task is left to jailers.

"It's up to the Department of Corrections, and they do this for us, since
they have the first-hand knowledge, and anybody who is actually serving a
sentence [for a felony conviction], that ballot is then pulled and they are
not allowed to vote," said Leach.

After the votes are cast, Leach said the ballots are transported to several
locations before being counted.

"If they are still awaiting trial, they are allowed to vote. Those ballots
are then brought down here to our office. They are then sent out to their
original [home precinct] polling place," said Leach.

Because the ballots are counted by election judges at precinct polling
places outside the jail, it's impossible to tell how many votes any of the
presidential candidates received from the inmates.

All told, Leach confirmed that about 1,900 jail inmates voted in the
federal election in Chicago, exceeding the prisoner estimate noted in the
October memo by O'Sullivan.

Voter eligibility among Cook County Jail inmates is relatively low compared
with voter turnout among non-incarcerated voters, with about 15 percent of
the jail population casting ballots last year.

Nationally, voter participation in presidential elections has hovered
around 50% over the last two elections.

The county jail averages between 10,500 and 11,000 prisoners on any given
day, according to Cook County Sheriff's Department spokesman Bill
Cunningham. The jail is designed to hold just under 10,000 inmates.

The issue of prisoner voting blossomed into an issue following the
contested recount of presidential ballots in Florida after last November's
election, with allegations surfacing that convicted felons voted for
then-Vice President Al Gore.

In some cases around the country, it is illegal for felons to vote, even
after they have served their entire sentence. But Leach said that's not the
case here. "Every state is different in regard to their laws for felons,"
said Leach, observing that in Illinois, felons may vote after serving their
sentence. However, felons are prohibited from running for certain elected
offices in Chicago, such as mayor or alderman.

The concerted voter registration drive and establishment of polling places
at the jail stand in contrast to the treatment afforded military and
overseas voters, who do not receive the same kind of outreach from city
election officials.

"We don't get the large numbers that we do at the jail, but we do get
several hundred," absentee requests from military voters and Chicago
residents temporarily overseas, Leach said.

Conservatives who are active in the election and government reform movement
in Chicago were taken aback by the board's courting of the inmate vote and
believe it is undertaken for political reasons.

"The board's creation of an aggressive absentee ballot program in the Cook
County Jail, absent any credible attempt to promote absentee balloting
among the thousands of law-abiding citizens out of the country for military
duty, business, or vacation, lends new meaning to the concept of `captive
Democratic voter constituency,'" said Joe Wiegand, executive director of
the Family Taxpayers Network, a local conservative group probing voting
policies in Chicago.

"This isn't illegal, but it is sleazy," said Wiegand.

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

   FROM THE DESK OF:

           *Michael Spitzer* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>