http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/07/15/stifgneur02002.html

Vatican 'saves priest' from genocide trial
Jon Swain

ITALY is refusing to hand over to the international war crimes tribunal a
Rwandan Catholic priest wanted on genocide charges. He is accused of ordering
his own church to be bulldozed, crushing and killing up to 2,500
parishioners.

Italian judicial authorities claim that an ad hoc decree is required for them
to co-operate with the United Nations tribunal for Rwanda. Authoritative
sources say the true reason for Italy's stalling is discreet pressure from
the Vatican.

Carla Del Ponte, the tribunal's chief prosecutor, says that, as a UN member
state, Italy is in breach of its international obligations. "It's a scandal.
Belgrade has handed over Milosevic, but Rome won't grant me this arrest," she
complained after announcing that three other Rwandan suspects, including a
priest, had been arrested on the tribunal's orders in Belgium, Switzerland
and the Netherlands on Thursday.

Del Ponte did not identify her target in Italy, who is the subject of a
secret indictment, but well-informed sources in the Hague and in Rome
confirmed that the wanted priest is Father Athanase Seromba.

A Hutu, Seromba had allegedly sided in 1994 with a campaign to exterminate
Rwanda's Tutsi minority. The destruction of his church at Nyange on April 16,
1994, was one of the most notorious massacres of the genocide in which
800,000 died.

Seromba travelled afterwards to Florence with the help of supporters in the
Catholic church. He rejoined the priesthood under an assumed name. In
November 1999 The Sunday Times found he had established a new life for
himself as a deputy priest at a church in Florence under the name of Don
Anastasio Sumba Bura.

The UN tribunal, based in Arusha, Tanzania, opened an investigation and began
collecting evidence. Del Ponte formally requested Seromba's extradition from
Italy at the beginning of this month. But statements emanating from the
Catholic church in Florence suggest it stands by him.

"Everyone has a positive impression of him," said Riccardo Bigi, a spokesman
for the diocese. "He's definitely not willing to talk about Rwanda, but that
is understandable because he suffered a great deal. From what we know of him,
it's highly improbable that the accusations against him are true."

In Rwanda in 1994 the church was the single most powerful institution after
the government. But its clergy were not exempt from the country's pervasive
racism and it failed miserably to prevent the genocide.

The Vatican has since ignored appeals to purge its ranks of suspected
killers. A few weeks ago it even questioned the objectivity of a Belgian
court that gave two Rwandan Benedictine nuns long jail sentences for
genocide.

Rakiya Omaar, the director of African Rights, a respected London-based human
rights organisation, said: "At the very least the church should have mounted
an inquiry."

Callers to the parish church of San Mauro a Signa in Florence yesterday were
first told that Seromba was on holiday, but he later emerged briefly to deny
the accusations.

" I had nothing to do with the Nyange massacre," he said. "Leave me in peace,
I don't want to talk." The Vatican declined to comment on allegations that it
had put pressure on Italy to block Seromba's arrest.

The priest's comfortable exile cannot end soon enough for the small band of
survivors of Nyange, however. "I lost my father, my wife, my child, my
stepmother, my young brother, my sisters and many others in the church," said
Bertin Ndakubana, a parish councillor. "Where was the servant of God,
Seromba, at that moment?"

Additional reporting: John Follain, Rome