Are You For Humans or Suckerfish?

 July 2001

That's the issue in Klamath Falls, Oregon, where armed U.S. federal marshals are
guarding the irrigation canal gates to keep the river water from flowing to the farms
of 1,400 farmers who depend on it. The Endangered Species Act (ESA), as interpreted by
a federal court, has ruled that two endangered suckerfish have more rights than local
residents who have been using the Klamath River for 100 years. The livelihood of 1,400
farmers and their families are at stake because they cannot survive without the water
from the river.

On July 12 Oregon's U.S. Senator Gordon Smith offered Amendment 899 to release the
water to the farmers. It was tabled (killed) by a roll call vote in which most
Democrats sided with the suckerfish and all but 3 Republicans sided with humans.

We were shocked to note that Senator Peter Fitzgerald (R-IL) voted for fish instead of
humans. We hope he will get a flood of messages asking, "Why did you vote for
suckerfish instead of for good Americans who are just trying to make a living for
their families on their own property using river water that the government promised
them they would always have?"

Call Sen. Fitzgerald at: 202-224-2854, or fax: 202-228-1372
http://fitzgerald.senate.gov/
Further information:

Let the Irrigation Water Flow in the Klamath Basin of Oregon Petition
http://www.petitiononline.com/klamath/petition.html

Our Klamath Basin Water Crisis
Fighting for Our Right to Irrigate Our Farms and Caretake Our Natural Resources
http://www.klamathbasincrisis.org/

Roll Call Vote 232
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/vote1071/vote_00232.html