-Caveat Lector-

c. 2000 N. Y. Times News Service

Startling evidence emerged last week that somebody once really did look at
Playboy magazine for the articles: none other than J. Edgar Hoover's FBI.

According to newly released FBI files, Playboy got a careful eyeballing at
bureau headquarters in the 1950s and 60s not because of the centerfolds, but
because the FBI wanted to keep tabs on jokes and criticism aimed at the
bureau and Hoover, its ultraconservative director, who died in 1972.

"I knew somebody was buying it for more than the pictures," said Hugh M.
Hefner, Playboy's founder, in a phone interview on Friday. APBNews.com,
which specializes in criminal justice news, obtained more than 200 pages of
FBI documents on Playboy under the Freedom of Information Act. Here are
excerpts from the dossier, which the Web site posted last week, commenting
that it arrived at its offices, fittingly enough, in a brown wrapper.

- BY TOM KUNTZ

Founded in 1953, Playboy drew FBI attention with its September 1955 issue,
which included a sci- ence fiction story about G-men in outer space. An
agent gave a top Hoover aide a synopsis: The story is about an individual
called Bill employed as a "sphinx voice assembler on the Starling Spaceship
production line" who believed that his every move was surveilled by numerous
cameras and tape recorders. Mention is made of a tape recorder in his TV
set, and that "the FBI never adjusted it right, and it hummed all night
long." . . .

In an effort to escape being shadowed, Bill buys a spaceship and travels to
outer space. . . . After leaving earth, Bill discovers a woman concealed in
a potato sack whose handbag contained, among other things, "a badge that
read: Special Investigator, FBI." The agent panned the yarn from a
law-enforcement perspective: This story is a satire on the government's use
of informants, and although it is fantasy and fiction, it does cast
unfavorable references on the use of informants. In view of the nature and
quality of the magazine, it is not advisable for the Bureau to dignify this
publication by taking any action whatsoever.

But the FBI's scrutiny intensified after the February 1963 issue, in which
Hefner, in his column The Playboy Philosophy, criticized Hoover for his
anti-pornography stance. Hoover penned this portentous note to subordinates:
What do we know of H. M. Hefner? Before long, the FBI knew plenty. From the
start, the bureau's man on the Playboy case was Milton A. Jones, chief of
the crime records section (now deceased). He laid it on thick for his
bosses, writing in May 1963: In order to be aware of the rabid ramblings of
Hefner, since his unwarranted attack on the Director in the February 1963
issue of this magazine, we have been reviewing the "editorial credo" written
by Hefner. . . .

Hefner has stated that the Director was wrong about pornography's effect on
the nation's youth and that it was simply a way to distract the attention of
the public from the FBI's embarrassment concerning the nation's crime
syndicate, which it (the FBI) was unable to do "anything effective about." .
. .

In the May issue he dwelt at great length on a reported school of scientific
opinion, which suggests that pornography is not only harmless, but that it
may actually have some value as a release for pent-up sexual frustrations
and desires. The files are rife with contempt for Playboy. Still, it courted
Hoover, sending him more than a score of interview requests and requests for
comment. Hoover typically scrawled "Ignore. H" on the letters, and in one
case, "Ignore. It stinks," meaning the magazine. In September 1963, Playboy
escalated its charm offensive with this letter from a club representative
while the director visited New York: Dear Mr. Hoover, Hugh Hefner, Editor-
Publisher of Playboy Magazine and President of the Playboy Clubs, has asked
me to welcome you back to New York, and to make certain that whenever you
wish, the facilities of the New York Playboy Club will be made available to
you and your guests.

Therefore, at Mr. Hefner's request, we are enclosing a special Celebrity Key
which will make it possible for you and your friends to visit the Club
anytime during your stay. . . .

Of particular interest to you will be the V. I. P. Room (for very important
Playboys room) in the Club. . . . Reservations are required for this room,
and we therefore ask that you call in advance to our Miss Kent . . . who
will see to it that your requirements are given special attention. . . .
Hoover ignored that invitation too. Not that the FBI wasn't interested in
Playboy Clubs and the special attention that some Bunnies in New Orleans
wanted to give clients after hours. This is from an FBI report the same
year: An informant of the New Orleans office . . . advised that some of the
girls who were employed expected they would be used as prostitutes, but soon
quit when they learned that no questionable activity was permitted and that
association with customers after hours was cause for dismissal. Agent Jones
appeared to relish his role as editorial critic, as this memo from 1964
shows: In the Book Review Section . . .

Fred J. Cook's infamous book, "The FBI Nobody Knows," is reviewed in typical
Playboy "know-it- all" style.

In their characteristic "smart aleck" way, they briefly list the distorted
and warmed-over complaints of Cook. . . . The moral degenerates who publish
this high-priced trash have presented nothing new. . . . Ignoring these
garbage collectors appears to be the best means of putting their rantings in
proper perspective. Jones showed similar contempt for figures like Lenny
Bruce, whom he called a "foul-mouthed so-called comedian." Of a Playboy
interview with the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in the January 1965
issue, Jones wrote: King rambles on and on, speaks considerably of his
religious beliefs and his faith in a Supreme Being, but actually says
nothing. . . . The entire article is typical King double-talk and is another
classical example of the unbounded duplicity of this false prophet.

(Even the cartoons were scrutinized for subversive messages, as this 1967
memo illustrates:)

The current issue of Playboy magazine includes a comic strip entitled
"Little Annie Fanny." . . . The "plot" of the story relates to the
kidnapping in Nevada of a nuclear physicist by foreign spies. A squad of FBI
agents led by "The Chief" (obviously referring to the Director) investigates
the kidnapping with the help of "Little Annie Fannie."

This highly satirical strip attempts to poke fun at the Director and the
Bureau's wellestablished reputation for loyalty, patriotism and high moral
behavior. Its ridiculous exaggerations indirectly compliment the character
and ideals of the FBI.

(BEGIN ITALICS HERE) Hoover also seemed to feel the pain of concerned
Playboy readers. One wrote to the Director to complain: (END ITALICS HERE)

Dear Sir, As a member of the Playboy Club, I like my sex as well as anyone .
. . but of late I find myself increasingly disturbed by the contents of
Playboy magazine. . . .

The constant and continued glorification of drugs in articles and fiction,
the continuing effort to downgrade the "establishment," the encouragement of
hatred of authority, the playing up of Negro problems all seem part of a
definite editorial policy almost subversive in its objective.

(BEGIN ITALICS HERE) To which Hoover replied: (END ITALICS HERE)

Dear (( name withheld)), I have received your letter . . . and understand
the concern which prompted you to write. In view of your interest, I am
enclosing some material about organizations and groups which are undermining
our basic freedoms.

(BEGIN ITALICS HERE) But even sympathetic letter- writers had to be checked
out, as this notation at the bottom of the copy in the bureau's files
(Bufiles) attests: (END ITALICS HERE)

NOTE: Correspondent is not identifiable in Bufiles.

(BEGIN ITALICS HERE) Postscript: Hefner said last week that there was a
personal irony for him in the Playboy dossier. As a boy in the 1930s, he was
enthralled by films like "G Men" starring James Cagney, which glorified
Hoover's FBI "When I was a kid, I was a fan," he noted ruefully.

PAGE 7A Laredo Morning Times Sunday, October 8, 2000