-Caveat Lector-

Where does Bush"s tax break really come from"
By David Millstead, Scripps-Howard news service
July 30, 2001

The tax relief checks that will start arraiving in mailboxes next week don't
have a consumer warning label, so we are happy to provide one.

"Warning", this check is not a "rebate" of taxes you already paid. It's an
advance on the refund  you'll get when you file next april.

If it's an advance you ask, does that mean my refund in April will be $300
smaller than it would have been? And if I'm unlucky enough to owe taxes, does
that mean my tax bill will be $300  higher?

The answer to both questions is yes. But you" ll never guess that from the
1040 you"ll fill out next year. It's been designed so that it's nearly
impossible to realize how the 2001 ewbate checks effect your tax preperation
in 2002.

"I think people think what they are getting is a refund  of taxes they paid
in 2000." said Gary Dudley, the tax partner-in-charge at Deloitte & Touches's
Denver office. "If they think their taxes were going to show up lower April
15 (from this change), they are not."

The "immediate tax relief", as the Internal Revenue Service calls it, was
designed by  Congress and the Bush Administration to give taxpayers the
benefit of a 2001 tax-rate reduction as soon as possible. Rather than wait
for next April, You'll get your tax cut now.

"Congress intended the tax credit to take care of the rate reduction for
2001."  said John McGreevy, an assistant branch chief for administration with
the IRS. "They wanted to get the money into people's pockets for an economic
stimulus."