-Caveat Lector-

Reuters
Wednesday August 1 3:33 PM ET

Powell: Israeli Attack 'Too Aggressive'

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Secretary of State Colin Powell said on Wednesday
that Israel's attack on a Hamas building in the West Bank city of Nablus
was ``too aggressive'' and helped to escalate Middle East violence.

In an interview with CNN television, Powell also denied any difference
between the State Department and the White House on how to deal with
Israeli-Palestinian violence.

The State Department deplored on Tuesday the Israeli attack on the
building, which killed eight Palestinians including two children and a
high-level official of the Islamist group.

The Washington Post detected a different response at the White House,
saying it merely urged both sides to abide by the cease-fire mediated by
the United States in June.

Powell said: ``We felt that this was a targeted killing of the kind that we
have spoken out and condemned in the past, and we did so yesterday both at
the White House and in the State Department. We had a consistent view of
it, that this kind of response is too aggressive and it just serves to
increase the level of tension and violence in the region.''

``I think that the Israelis and the Palestinian side at this time should
try to do everything possible to bring the passion down, the incitement
down, and to bring the violence levels down,'' the secretary added.

White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said: ``The administration ... at all
levels, deplores the violence there and that includes the targeted
attacks.''

``A cease-fire is a cease-fire and whether it is Israel or the Palestinians
who engage in the violence, the United States condemns that violence and
urges all parties to cease,'' he added.

Asked what the United States planned to do about it beyond talking, he
said: ``It still fundamentally depends on the two parties to engage in
peace. The United States cannot force peace. The United States will be a
party to help facilitate.''

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

   FROM THE DESK OF:

           *Michael Spitzer* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>