Date sent:              Thu, 02 Aug 2001 20:59:02 +0000
From:                   Robert Sterling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                Konformist: Update: Shrub Is Still Stupid & Evil
To:                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/zgSolB/TM

Thanks,

Robert Sterling
Editor, The Konformist
http://www.konformist.com

It's Scientifically Proven: Shrub Is A Dumb-Ass

The intelligence of our presidents has never been seriously
scrutinized at any time in our history until now. There is a
widespread perception that President GW Bush is not qualified for the
position he holds.  That increasing awareness by the people has led
to a study of the intellectual ability of all presidents for the past
fifty years.

There have been twelve presidents in that time, from F. D. Roosevelt
to G. W. Bush. All were rated based on any scholarly achievements,
writings that they alone wrote, their ability to speak effectively,
and several other psychological factors. The conclusions of the
study, conducted by an independent think tank located in Scranton,
Pennsylvania were surprising.

This think tank includes high caliber historians, psychiatrists,
sociologists, scientists in human behavior, and psychologists. Among
their ranks are Dr. Werner Levenstein, world-renowned sociologist,
and Professor Patricia A. Williams, a world-respected psychiatrist.
All members of the think tank are experts at being able to detect a
person's IQ from the criteria stated earlier. After four months of
research, these learned men and women have determined the IQs of each
president within a range of five percentage points. The IQs listed
below are the norms for each president.

ß         147 Franklin D. Roosevelt (D)

ß         132 Harry Truman (D)

ß         122 Dwight D. Eisenhower (R)

ß         174 John F. Kennedy (D)

ß         126 Lyndon B. Johnson (D)

ß         155 Richard M. Nixon (R)

ß         121 Gerald Ford (R)

ß         175 James E. Carter (D)

ß         105 Ronald Reagan (R)

ß         99 George HW Bush (R)

ß         182 William J. Clinton (D)

ß         91 George W. Bush (R)

The non-partisan researchers who evaluated the twelve presidents
determined that the six Republican presidents for the past 50 years
had an average IQ of 115.5, with President Nixon having the highest
IQ, at 155. President G. W. Bush was rated the lowest of all the
Republicans with an IQ of 91.

The six Democrat presidents had IQs with an average of 156, with
President Clinton having the highest IQ, at 182.  President Lyndon B.
Johnson was rated the lowest of all the Democrats with an IQ of 126.

The margin of error is plus or minus five percent.

This study was initiated on February 13, 2001 and completed on June
17, 2001. This study validated the widespread feeling of people about
the sitting president. President Bush was rated low because of his
inability to command the English language, his lack of any scholarly
achievements, and an absenceof anything authored by him that would
reflect an intellectual effort.

*****

http://www.thenation.com

The Bush Dyslexicon
An Interview with Mark Crispin Miller

Ever since the presidential campaign, George W. Bush's adventures in
the English language have alternately amused and horrified the
nation. But according to media scholar Mark Crispin Miller's scathing
new book, The Bush Dyslexicon, to conclude merely that Bush is
dimwitted would be a grave mistake. The President's linguistic
fumbles, argues Miller, mask a deep and shrewd political
vindictiveness; at the same time, the shallowness revealed in Bush's
unscripted remarks has been largely ignored or coddled by a national
media more interested in soundbites than in political substance.

Recently Miller, a professor of media ecology at New York University
and the author of two previous books about the media, responded to e-
mailed questions by discussing Bush's speech patterns, his
similarities with Richard Nixon, his alleged dyslexia and the role
that our media system played in putting Bush in office.

Patricia Chui

You state that although it's easy to laugh at President Bush's
gaffes, "we misunderestimate him at our peril." Why?

Although he has some drastic intellectual limitations (to put it
mildly), Bush is not the drooling cretin who's been so derisively
lampooned in the political cartoons, stand-up routines and quickie
books. Despite his patent awkwardness before the cameras, Bush does
possess a certain nasty shrewdness, which has often served him well
at the combative kind of politics. As the late Jim Hatfield pointed
out in Fortunate Son, this Bush was centrally involved in his dad's
filthy presidential drive in 1988. The on-air counterblast against
Dan Rather, the Willie Horton gambit and the outing of Jimmy Swaggart
were moves that Bush the Younger helped devise and orchestrate. This
is why Mary Matalin has admiringly deemed W "a political campaign
terrorist"--not a mere tool of, say, Karl Rove, but a full-fledged
collaborator.

In any case, to cast Bush as an utter moron only does him an enormous
favor, since it helps his propagandists, and the major media, to keep
hailing his embarrassing performance as a great success: "much better
than expected." If anyone has ever benefited from what Bush has
called "the bigotry of soft expectations," it's George W. Bush
himself.

Do you have a favorite Bushism?

"You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a
literacy test."

In your book, you list patterns in the way Bush speaks--for example,
as you put it, "A is A because A is A." Could you give a specific
example here of one of those patterns, and explain what it says about
Bush?

There is a lot of speculation and I guess there is going to continue
to be a lot of speculation until the speculation ends.
      -Austin-American Statesman, October 18, 1998

BRIT HUME: What if there isn't any unity at the Republican convention?
GOV. BUSH: I am confident there will be. I'm confident people are
coming together. And the reason I believe this is because our party
is united.
      -Fox Television, July 19, 2000

If you don't stand for anything, you don't stand for anything.
If you don't stand for something, you don't stand for anything.
      -Austin-American Statesman, November 2, 2000

This logical tic betrays the perfect emptiness of much that Bush says
off the cuff. A wholly televisual being (although startlingly
untelegenic), Bush often uses speech not to say anything, but merely
to depict himself as saying something, "boldly" and "decisively."
Tautology is but the intellectual consequence of just such verbal
posturing.

Why have "the liberal media" given Bush such a free pass?

Because, of course, "the media" are not "liberal"--and anyone who
thinks they are at this point simply cannot be convinced, however
copious the evidence.

To put it very simply, the media system's flagrant bias against Gore--
and its suppression of Ralph Nader--demonstrates the influence of
several factors: the corporate concentration of the media, which has
helped shift the news divisions even further to the right; the
unprecedented affluence of the Washington press corps, whose class
interests bound them more directly to Bush/Cheney than to Gore; the
vast success of the long rightist propaganda drive against "the
liberal media," which has made the telejournalists (and others)
skittish about seeming even slightly "leftist"; and the fact that
Bush, with his extremely simple "themes" and "messages" and his bone-
ignorance on every other subject, was always far more televisual than
Gore, who spoke in complex sentences and knew what, for example,
Dingell-Norwood was. Even Bush's funny flubs made for good footage,
and so the media types felt comfortable with him.

Why do you think Al Gore, during the election, was portrayed as
a "serial exaggerator," whereas Bush's evasions and falsehoods were
downplayed or ignored?

The GOP propaganda mill was, and still is, infinitely more effective
than Gore's largely half-assed operation. It did a brilliant job
concocting all those "serial exaggerations" and impressing them upon
us through the too-compliant press. Thus it was throughout the
Clinton years, of course, and thus it is today.

You paint Bush as closer to the mold of Nixon than Reagan. Could you
elaborate?

Nixon was political godfather to the House of Bush, mentoring George
Herbert Walker from the start of his Congressional career. And
Bush/Cheney's top lieutenants made their bones as Nixon creatures in
the early '70s: The young Karl Rove did dirty tricks for Nixon in the
1972 campaign, and Mary Matalin was another livid Nixonite.

The Bush/Nixon bond is a most peculiar union, given the immense class
gap between the Man from Whittier and the would-be dynasty in
Kennebunkport. And yet there's an important similarity between them
after all. Despite the Bush clan's vast advantage, that crew is,
oddly, just as thin-skinned and resentful as the Trickster. Like him,
they never forget a slight, and always feel themselves impaired; and
so--like Nixon--they tend to favor The Attack. Indeed, it's actually
the only thing they do well. Thus Bush the Younger, although
ideologically quite close to Ronald Reagan, is temperamentally and
psychologically akin to Nixon--a likeness that is growing more
apparent day by day. Just like Nixon, this Bush can dish it out, but
he can't take it.

If Bush is really so far to the right, why did so many
centrist "undecideds" vote for him? How did he manage to portray
himself as a centrist?

Bush "won"--that is, earned the votes of a considerable plurality--in
part by masking his true stance on issues like abortion, but mainly
by posturing as the Anti-Clinton, who would "restore dignity and
honor to the White House." Those Americans who bought the anti-
Clinton propaganda were Bush's main constituency; those who bought it
most wholeheartedly are now his keenest champions. In promoting the
Dyslexicon, I've noticed that this President's grassroots supporters
cannot think of anything to say in his defense aside from screaming
that he isn't Clinton. That wholly negative appeal, and not his
mythic "likability," is Bush's primary asset.

Do you think Bush is, as Gail Sheehy has alleged, dyslexic?

I would say that he probably is, since he himself has inadvertently
confirmed the diagnosis in his very effort to deny it: "That woman
who knew I had dyslexia: I never interviewed her." The journalists
made merry at that gaffe, because it was, itself, dyslexic; but I
hold that the statement is especially significant because of what it
accidentally gives away in that first clause: "That woman who knew I
had dyslexia." If Bush were not dyslexic, wouldn't he have used a
verb like "claimed" or "said," instead of "knew"?

Even if he is dyslexic, however, that condition can't account for all
his verbal slips, which are so many and so various as to indicate a
range of disabilities, including simple ignorance.

You emphasize that Bush repeatedly evades questions, offering vague
platitudes rather than stating a position. But don't most politicians
do the same thing?

Of course. What I argue is that Bush shows (or rather, showed) a
certain genius for evasion of a particular kind--i.e., representing
his most noxious stands as strokes of tolerance and kindness. That
move is more insidious than mere evasiveness, and also requires a
greater craftiness.

According to your book, George W. Bush is a phenomenon of today's
media culture and its propensity to dumb down issues and ideas. In
that sense, Bush is the perfect figure to represent our modern age.
Did we get what we deserve? And if things are headed inexorably in
the direction of soundbites and short attention spans, how can we
ever expect better?

Bush did not win the election. Some 52 percent of those who voted
cast their votes against him--whether for the Democrats or for the
Greens--and another 1 percent threw in their lot with Pat Buchanan.

Therefore, we did not get what we deserve--unless we grant that "we"
are guilty of allowing the long rightist takeover of the Supreme
Court and of the press. Insofar as "we" all acquiesced in that grand
subversion, "we" have reaped what They have sown.

As far as the election per se goes, however, we do not deserve to
have this man as President, he having been installed through a
complex, slow-motion coup d'état. What his installation demonstrates
is not that we have been bamboozled, but that we've been ripped off--
and that our media system has, just like our government, become
completely unaccountable to us. It is as if TV's top personnel have
floated off the planet. Their concerns do not relate to ours in any
way. All they care about is what their masters think of them--their
owners and their advertisers, and their top contacts in the
government--and so they hover high above us, talking only about Gary
Condit (this month), variously sucking up to those in power and
obsessing on their ever-lower ratings.

And so, while they converse in soundbites and have very short
attention spans, we are ready for a politics that's made of stronger
stuff. And "we"--again--are the majority. This is something that the
Democrats had better understand.

*****

Bush power deregulation bill won't have deadline
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Bush administration is preparing a
proposal to deregulate the nation's billion-dollar electricity
industry that will not include a deadline for states to open their
retail electricity markets to competition, a senior Energy Department
official said.

"The administration believes it is essential that Congress pass
comprehensive electricity legislation," Frank Blake, deputy energy
secretary, told a Senate Energy committee hearing on power issues.

While Congress has debated a national deregulation plan for some six
years, about half of all U.S. states have gone ahead and adopted
state deregulation schemes. Some states -- like Pennsylvania and
Texas -- have been successful in promoting more competition while
California has become a symbol of a poorly designed deregulation plan.

Blake said the administration was preparing a deregulation proposal,
but did not say how soon the plan would be unveiled. The proposal
will focus on broad federal issues and will not require states to
open their retail electricity markets by a specific date, he told the
panel.

"Electricity markets are increasingly regional in nature," Blake
said. "The California experience shows that actions taken by one
state can have a regional consequence."

California, hit by a series of power blackouts during the past year,
has gobbled up wholesale electricity from the Pacific Northwest and
neighboring states to meet its demand, which in turn has pushed
prices higher throughout the West.

Earlier this week, Senate Democrats unveiled a plan that would revamp
federal regulation of the fast-changing electricity sector, enabling
more competition and better power delivery.

The plan, offered by Senate Energy Committee Chairman Sen. Jeff
Bingaman, a New Mexico Democrat, was generally supported by Blake and
power industry executives.

But the administration opposes any legislation to address
transmission grid pricing, now that the Federal Energy Regulatory
Commission has begun to tackle "non-traditional" transmission rates,
Blake said.

John Rowe, president of Chicago-based utility Exelon Corp. , said the
industry did not support Bingaman's proposal to allow regional
compacts to be created to resolve disputes over permits for new
transmission lines and facilities. Rowe said such an approach would
create an unnecessary bureaucracy, and that siting issues could be
handled by regional transmission organizations that are already
operating.

"Congress has been debating electricity issues for six years. In the
meantime, our nation's electricity infrastructure has not kept pace
with the growing demands of our new economy," Rowe told the panel.

David Cook, general counsel with the North American Electric
Reliability Council, urged Senate lawmakers to adopt a deregulation
plan that allows an industry self-regulatory organization to develop
and enforce reliability rules.

"FERC does not now have the technical expertise and resources to take
on that effort, and it would not be cost-effective for it to do so,"
Cook said.

Blake said the administration also wants a federal deregulation plan
to include the following provisions:

* Allow federal siting of transmission facilities "in certain limited
circumstances." Construction of some new interstate transmission
lines have been blocked by communities due to environmental concerns.

* Protect consumers against "slamming and cramming," terms for
certain unethical sales practices conducted by aggressive electricity
retailers.

* Provide open access to transmission systems operated by federal
electric utilities such as Bonneville Power Administration and
Tennessee Valley Authority.

* Repeal the mandatory purchase obligation of the Public Utility
Regulatory Policies Act of 1978.

* Repeal the Public Utility Holding Company Act of 1935.

* Clarify the right of states to charge "public purpose fees" on
retail electricity to help poor families pay electric bills or to
help pay for conservation programs.

Copyright 2001 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be
published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

If you are interested in a free subscription to The
Konformist Newswire,  please visit:

http://www.eGroups.com/list/konformist

Or, e-mail  [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
subject: "I NEED 2 KONFORM!!!"

(Okay, you can use something else, but it's a kool
catch phrase.)

Visit the Klub Konformist at Yahoo!:

Steve Wingate, Webmaster
ANOMALOUS IMAGES AND UFO FILES