-Caveat Lector-

http://www.nationalpost.com/commentary/columnists/story.html?f=/stories/20010816/648161.html

   August 16, 2001

   Animal husbandry of a different nature

   Guys who like to make the beast with two backs and six legs do it as a
   conscious lifestyle choice

   Mark Steyn

   National Post

   'There used to be a time when guy-on-guy or woman-on-woman
   relationships were looked at as unnatural acts," said Robert Noel, a
   San Francisco attorney, responding to allegations of "sexual activity"
   with his dog. "What concern is it to anybody if there is or isn't a
   personal relationship?" Mr. Noel is trying to fend off a
   wrongful-death suit from the lesbian partner of his late neighbour, a
   good-looking lacrosse coach whose throat was torn out by Mr. Noel's
   two Presa Canarios. But he was positively insouciant in his response
   to the allegation that he and one of the dogs enjoyed a "personal
   relationship."

   And why wouldn't he be? The gay rights movement is on the last stage
   of its big push, and so the question is: what's next? Just as gays
   used the language of black civil rights, so Mr. Noel likened his
   alleged proclivities to those of gays. If you're homosexual or
   lesbian, I don't suppose you're terribly flattered by the comparison,
   but then a lot of blacks didn't appreciate the principles of the civil
   rights movement being appropriated by the sodomites. That's the way it
   goes in a land committed to ever more "expansive" and "inclusive"
   rights, as Al Gore puts it.

   There's a lot of bestiality around at the moment. Hang on, let me
   qualify that: in terms of actual man-and-beast action, I'd wager
   there's a lot less than a hundred years ago, when an isolated
   farmboy's best-looking date within a 20-mile radius was his pa's
   finest Holstein. But today guys who like to make the beast with two
   backs and six legs do it as a conscious lifestyle choice and, like
   other identity groups, they're making a lot of noise and demanding
   societal validation. In Maine, a fellow called Frank Buble, 71, was
   recently sentenced to eight years for trying to crowbar his son
   Phillip to death. Frank shares a house with Phillip and his, er,
   partner Lady, a short-legged mixed-breed bitch, and he claims he was
   driven to attack his son because he was tired of seeing him getting it
   on with the dog and could no longer tolerate Phillip's "lifestyle."

   Phillip for his part feels he's been doubly assaulted, first by his
   father and then by a legal system that refuses to acknowledge his
   partner. He wrote to Justice Andrew Mead at the Piscataquis County
   Superior Court saying that he would be exercising his right to speak
   at the sentencing and wanted Lady to hear what he had to say. "I'd
   like my significant other to attend by my side if possible as she was
   present in the house during the attack, though not an eyewitness to
   it, thank goodness," explained Phillip. "I've been informed your
   personal permission is needed given that my wife is not human, being a
   dog of about 36 pounds weight and very well behaved." The letter ended
   with his signature and a paw print, and underneath the words "Phillip
   and Lady Buble."

   Justice Mead denied the request, so Phillip and Lady have now come out
   of the kennel and are campaigning for rights for "zoo couples." "Zoo
   couples" is the preferred term for human/non-human relationships,
   "bestiality" carrying somewhat negative connotations. Testifying
   before a legislative committee in the state capital Augusta, Phillip
   said that " 'Zoos' are born with a true love for animals and have a
   lifelong commitment to their care." He and Lady "live together as a
   married couple. In the eyes of God we are truly married." Furthermore,
   if it's legal for two humans to have sex and legal for two animals to
   have sex, why should it be illegal for a human to have sex with an
   animal? If Maine passes an anti-bestiality law, says Phillip, "it will
   be a disservice to zoo couples and would keep zoo couples from coming
   out of the closet and drive us deeper underground. This helps no one
   and would force me out of state." Hold your horses. New Hampshire,
   here he comes.

   How should society react to animal husbandry as practised by Mr.
   Buble? Peter Singer, Princeton's Professor of Ethics, has been in the
   forefront of the movement for "animal rights." Taking abortion
   politics to its logical next step, he believes we should be allowed to
   kill infants because they're not "morally equivalent" to fully-fledged
   persons. By contrast, animals are all proper persons, and only what he
   calls our "species-ism" prevents us from seeing it. Therefore we
   should test pharmaceuticals on disabled children and comatose adults.
   Yet, although we have no right to experiment on animals, to keep them
   in captivity or to eat them with tomato, lettuce and cheese on a
   sesame seed bun, Professor Singer reckons we should be able to roger
   them. In a recent essay called Heavy Petting, he writes, "Not so long
   ago, any form of sexuality not leading to the conception of children
   was seen as, at best, wanton lust, or worse, a perversion. One by one,
   the taboos have fallen ... Sodomy? That's all part of the joy of sex
   ... But not every taboo has crumbled. Heard anyone chatting at parties
   lately about how good it is having sex with their dog?"

   Still, Professor Singer knows where to draw the line: some sex acts
   are "clearly wrong" and "should remain crimes. Some men use hens as a
   sexual object, inserting their penis into the cloaca, an all-purpose
   channel for waste and for the passage of the egg. This is usually
   fatal to the hen, and in some cases she will be deliberately
   decapitated just before ejaculation in order to intensify the
   convulsions of its sphincter. This is cruelty, clear and simple." But,
   then again, "is it worse for the hen than living for a year or more
   crowded with four or five other hens in barren wire cages so small
   that they can never stretch their wings, and then being stuffed into
   crates to be taken to the slaughterhouse, strung upside down on a
   conveyor belt and killed?" So even guys'n'chicks isn't so bad if you
   use a battery hen.

   What was interesting was the reaction of the animal rights crowd.
   Karen Davis, PhD, the president of United Poultry Concerns Inc., hoped
   that "conceptually attacking the taboo against bestiality" would help
   "people to overcome their profound prejudice and discrimination
   against nonhuman animals." Ingrid Newkirk, president of People for the
   Ethical Treatment of Animals, said Professor Singer was "daring and
   honest" and does not "condone any violent acts." On the matter of
   consensual sex, she was vague. "The whole concept of consent with
   animals is very different," she said.

   You begin to see what's in it for PETA: if Phillip and Lady Buble are
   a recognized couple, going to the Elks Lodge together, dancing cheek
   to cheek as the band plays Puppy Love, it becomes all but impossible
   to hunt and eat animals. The law can't recognize Daisy the cow as
   Peter Singer's significant other but her sister Gertie as merely next
   week's Double Whoppa with Cheese. Piscataquis County may be holding
   the line but in other jurisdictions animals have already embarked on
   the same legal evolution blacks and women underwent. Boulder, Colorado
   was the first of several municipalities to pass legislation
   reclassifying "pet owners" as "pet guardians." San Francisco became
   the first U.S. city to make it illegal to put non-terminal dogs and
   cats to sleep. A 'Frisco cat now enjoys greater protection from
   over-zealous euthanasia enthusiasts than an elderly Dutch uncle. And
   most of the Vermont Supreme Court's arguments in favour of extending
   the benefits of marriage to gay couples could as easily apply to a
   spinster and her cat.

   In fact, the newly elected Republican legislature in Vermont made an
   artful effort the other week to revise the state's "civil unions" law
   by extending it not just to gays but to grandmothers living with
   unmarried kids, two maiden aunts sharing a house or any other
   consensual arrangement. Faced with an opportunity to "celebrate
   diversity" in all its infinite variety, the Democrats went berserk.
   Such a move, they insisted, would be supremely insulting and degrading
   to homosexuals and lesbians. But once you redefine human institutions,
   it gets a little easier to redefine them again and again. Whether or
   not animal rights are the new new thing, something will be. The fox is
   in the henhouse, the cat's among the chickens; it's absurd to think we
   can let sleeping dogs lie.

   [INLINE]
               Contests | NP Events | Contact Us | User Help

    Copyright © 2001 National Post Online | Privacy Policy | Corrections
         National Post Online is a Hollinger / CanWest Publication.