-Caveat Lector-

Remember how the rolling blackouts were all the fault of Bush so he
could make himself and his "oil buddies" rich?  Well, well, well,
looks like old Gov. Davis was SELLING electric power at that very
time and much cheaper than he was buying it!  Now why would he do
that??  Could it be so he and all the other Bush Bashing fanatics
could blame the new president for this?  Was it worth it,
California, to make a political smear in this manner for you paid
rather dearly for that bit of fun.

And NEVER, ever forget that the oil companies donate MORE to the
campaigns of liberal Democrats than they do to those of
Republicans.  See our own archive for chart on this.  I think the
Gov owes W an apology but I will not be holding my breath for some
think it is OK to lie like this if it furthers their cause.
~Amelia~

Davis Denies Selling Power During California Blackouts
Eric Erickson, CNSNews.com
Saturday, Aug. 18, 2001
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - A California Assemblyman isn't sure if it was
"corruption or incompetence," but he claims the administration of
Democrat Gov. Gray Davis sold more than a half-million megawatt
hours of electricity earlier this year at a huge loss - at a time
when Californians were being told to conserve energy amid rolling
blackouts.
Republican Assemblyman John Campbell says documents obtained from
the state Department of Water Resources (DWR) show that California
sold 583,987 megawatts of power between March and July of this year
at a fraction of the price it had paid for the energy.

In fact, the DWR sold excess power every day in July, except on the
4th, according to Campbell. He wants the state assembly to
investigate the issue through energy oversight hearings.

On March 19, Campbell says, the California Independent System
Operator ordered rolling blackouts while the DWR was actually
selling 2,098 megawatts of excess electricity at a loss.

"I'm flabbergasted," Campbell said in a press release. "While
residents and businesses were doing everything possible to conserve
energy, the state was practically throwing away power. It doesn't
make any sense."

Based upon the numbers he obtained from the DWR, Campbell says the
state lost approximately $73 million by selling the power.

"These losses are astounding," said Campbell. "How much more
evidence is necessary to show that the state needs to immediately
get out of the business of buying power?"

Davis' spokesman, Roger Salazar, reacted by accusing Campbell of
political "grandstanding."

"We're too busy here in the governor's office trying to keep the
lights on to play political games," Salazar said, adding "we were
nowhere near a surplus of power."

A prime example of the sell-offs, according to Campbell, can be
seen in numbers related to May, when the average price the state
paid for power was $243.00 a MWh, while the amount it sold its
surplus for was $26.72, leading to a loss of $8.1 million on 37,661
MWh.

Salazar said Campbell's information is "just plain false" and "for
anyone to insinuate that we somehow had a surplus of power and were
selling at a loss defies common sense."

"It would surprise me if the state did something like that ... it
would surprise me if Mr. Campbell is the only one with that
information and nobody else in the entire state has written about
it.

"All of the information on our power purchases is made public after
it is no longer market-sensitive," Salazar said. "We've released
hundreds of documents, released all of the contracts under which
we've been purchasing power, so all of that information is really
available for anyone to scrutinize."

After scrutinizing the information himself, Campbell says
California's long-term power agreements will require the state to
buy much of its energy at inflated prices.

And in a study commissioned by the Los Angeles Times, it was
discovered that as far in the future as 2004, contracts exist that
bind California to buy 43 percent of its power at already
negotiated prices, which theoretically would provide California
with an energy surplus.

If California follows the precedent set in the 1980s when it was
faced with a similar problem, it may ironically encourage consumers
to use more power to keep from selling it at a loss. Other options
may include buying out contracts or simply not honoring them, which
could lead to legal scuffles.

Davis has been accused of improper activities in relation to the
power crisis, including the hiring of individuals with conflicts of
interests due to their employment within the power industry and
their owning of energy industry stock.

"Oversight hearings will provide a forum to determine whether or
not the administration's actions have been prudent. And after
investigating the situation, the legislature can decide on what
measures, if any, need to be taken," said Campbell.

"I have serious concerns regarding several of the administration's
actions, but I intend to keep an open mind and reserve final
judgment until all of the information has been presented to the
legislature," he said.

CNSNews.com Managing Editor David Thibault also contributed to this
article.

Copyright CNSNews.com

  All Rights Reserved © NewsMax.com