-Caveat Lector-

This way, Dr. Mengele
By Joseph Farah
Friday, August 17, 2001

Most Americans don't see it - yet.

They think President Bush gave a thoughtful, moderate, Solomon-like
policy speech on
stem-cell research.

They don't recognize that Bush has opened the door to a future
holocaust
- a door not
likely to be closed as easily as it was opened.

I didn't rush this column. I didn't provide instant analysis
following
the president's
speech - even though he said just what I expected him to say days
before
the talk to the
nation. I thought about what he said. I analyzed the reactions
carefully. I held my
tongue. I didn't shoot from the hip. I had hoped that my outrage
over
America's rapid
slide down the well-trod path of immorality and relativism would
subside.

It has not.

The issue of life and how we view it is the great dividing line of
our
time. When people
fudge on this issue, when they moderate on it, when they compromise
on
it, you can be
sure they will fudge, moderate and compromise on anything and
everything
else in their
lives.

And make no mistake about it, the stem-cell debate - despite the
euphemistic,
scientific-sounding name - is ultimately about life, when it
begins,
when it ends and who
decides. Today it's babies for sale, spare parts engineered from
embryonic organs.
Tomorrow, because of this decision, the government could be coming
for
your organs
or those of your children. After all, the greater good is what we
have
to consider.

What Bush's decision did was establish that the U.S. government
will
support
experimentation on living human tissue. He may think he imposed
limits
on such
experimentation, but, in reality, he opened the door to unlimited,
unrestricted, wholesale
research on living human tissue.

Bush will be remembered as the man who provided incentives to
research
that would
make Josef Mengele proud. The day is coming. Mark my words. It's
just a
matter of
time now.

This is utilitarianism at its worst. Bush's decision is to provide

federal research money to
work on embryos killed for that specific purpose. Only those who
believe
they have a
right to play God and decide that some human life is more valuable
than
other human
life could come to such a conclusion.

Meanwhile, most Americans have no idea what to think about all
this.
They have been
morally and intellectually dumbed down through years of government
schooling and
media manipulation. And that's why another holocaust is not only a
good
possibility in
such an environment, it's practically an inevitability.

Bush needn't have resorted to the intellectual gymnastics and moral
soul-searching to
decide this issue. All he really needed to do was to understand the
founding documents
of the United States of America and to apply them to this issue.

A dose of Jefferson would have cleared things up for him.

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the
propagation
of opinions
which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical," said
Thomas
Jefferson in
1779.

Yes, bad enough to confiscate money from people by force to
propagate
opinions they
find abhorrent. Worse yet to confiscate money from people by force
support actions
they deem murderous and evil. And that's what Bush has done -
again.

This is what we might have expected from Bill Clinton - maybe the
rhetoric would have
been a little different. And this is what I truly expected from
George
W. Bush. But I'll
bet many Americans who supported him believed his pro-life
rhetoric.
I'll bet many are
disappointed in his unprincipled stand designed only to broaden his
political support -
designs certain to backfire in the long run.

Once again, the more things change the more they stay the same. I'm
beginning to
believe it is impossible to move America back to a constitutional
free
republic through
the thoroughly corrupted political process. I'm beginning to
believe
America is simply
too morally compromised as a nation to find its way home. I'm
beginning
to believe that
the deliberate dumbing-down process in the schools and media has
achieved its goals
with little hope of reversing the trend.

This may seem like a fatalistic conclusion. After all, this is just
one
more presidential
decision among many, right?

Wrong. This is a landmark. This is a benchmark. This decision will
go
down in
contemporary history in significance right along with Roe v. Wade.
This
is bad news.
Real bad news.

http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=24089