http://toogoodreports.com/column/general/shelton/081701.htm

The Bombing Of Iraq: Part
Of Our New Manifest Destiny

By
Lee R. Shelton IV
[Friday, August 17, 2001; 12:01 a.m. EST]

This week, the United States launched more sorties against Iraqi military
installations. We can all rest easier knowing that Saddam Hussein's plans to
invade the U.S. have been thwarted yet again.

In 1991, President George Bush[41] ordered the very first bombing run in our
ongoing "war" with Iraq. The president´s approval rating easily cleared the
90 percent mark as Americans rallied together in support of our men and women
in uniform. Patriotism was at an all-time high, Lee Greenwood´s G-d Bless the
U.S.A. became the new national anthem, and we all learned the meaning of cool
military words like sortie.

I must admit that I was once among the 90-plus percent of Americans who
supported President Bush in his little desert safari. Our vital national
interests were at stake. Rush Limbaugh said so. He told us that the Gulf War
was necessary to ensure "the free-flow of oil at market prices." It sounded
like a good enough reason to me. After all, oil is not only the life-blood of
the United States, it is the life-blood of the entire civilized world.

The government, knowing they could not simply come out and say that the main
objective of Operation Desert Storm was to protect our oil supply, tried to
convince the American public that Saddam Hussein was the Adolph Hitler of the
Arab world. If we had allowed him to get away with bullying the rich oil
moguls of Kuwait, he could very well have gone on to swallow up the entire
Arabian Peninsula.

Needless to say, with virtually every nation in the free world (even France)
against him, Saddam Hussein was thoroughly thrashed in the Gulf War. We could
have bragged about how we bombed him back into the Stone Age if it weren´t
for the fact that Iraq was already in the Stone Age.

That was over a decade ago. Today, our air strikes against this third-world
Arab nation continue. Why? Well, that´s a good question. One has reason to
wonder if our air strikes are nothing more than mere target practice. Is Iraq
to our fighters and bombers what the island of Vieques is, or was, to our
ships?

We are told by our elected officials in Washington that Saddam Hussein is
still a great threat to our national security. Really? Did I happen to miss
the news reports of Iraqi fighters infiltrating U.S. airspace? Was there a
threat of an Iraqi naval blockade just off the eastern seaboard?

We are told that we must prevent Hussein from building up his air defenses.
Has anyone stopped to think that the reason he is trying to build up an air
defense network is because of all the enemy planes constantly flying overhead?

We are told that if we turn our backs Iraq will proceed to develop "weapons
of mass destruction," and we cannot allow that. If that were to happen, the
United States, Great Britain, France, Russia, China, India, Pakistan, and
Israel would no longer be the only nations with that capability. In this
post-Cold War era, eight´s company, nine´s a crowd.

The "conservatives" who supported the bombing of Iraq under George Bush in
1991, and now the continuing raids under George W. Bush [43] in 2001, believe
that we are doing everything we can to protect our national interests. And
they may be correct, as long as they continue to alter the meaning of the
term "national interests."

Clamping down on Iraq is only a small part of our new Manifest Destiny. U.S.
foreign policy has been effectively redefined so that everything from the
AIDS epidemic in Africa to the erosion of the Great Barrier Reef off the
coast of Australia is considered to be a vital national interest. Forget
about minor problems like illegal immigration. We need to focus our resources
on protecting our global borders. We are the most powerful nation in the
world and if we don't police it, who will?

No matter what reason we may use to justify our bombing, the simple fact
remains that our incessant attacks on Iraq are, like the initial conflict in
1991, immoral and unconstitutional. No ultimate objective has been stated for
these continuous bombings. No exit strategy has been offered. More
importantly, no war has ever been declared by Congress. The lives of our
soldiers as well as the lives of those they bomb have been placed solely in
the hands of the president.

The framers of our Constitution deliberately set out to prevent that kind of
concentration of power. They realized that war takes a toll on the American
people. Since it involves the expenditure of public funds as well the loss of
American lives, they believed that the people's representatives in Congress
were the most qualified to handle such decisions.

Of course many "conservatives" disagree. They would point to the gridlock
over issues like taxes and health care and argue that if we had to wait for
Congress to commit U.S. troops abroad, they would seldom, if ever, be
deployed.

But that is exactly the point. It should never be easy to wage war. It should
be one of the most difficult decisions for a government to make. Have we
learned nothing from Korea? Vietnam? Somalia? The Clinton administration?

Lord Acton once said, "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts
absolutely." We may see swift military action by removing constitutional
restraints, but all we have really done is place the power of life and death
in the hands of just one man. And that, along with the election of men like
Bill Clinton to the presidency, shows our complete ignorance of human nature.